A Brief History of the World of Aenea PW

Go down

A Brief History of the World of Aenea PW

Post by The Amethyst Dragon on Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:46 pm

Here's a little bit of information about me and Aenea, for those that might be curious about who has designed and built this PW and how it has come to be.

I am called The Amethyst Dragon. It's a web handle I chose for myself way back in January of 1996 when I first started to teach myself HTML and needed something to call myself (I've always liked dragons, I dig the deep, rich purple of a large amethyst, and I'd never heard of anybody using the handle before, unlike the many red/black/gold/silver/etc. dragons out there).

I'm a 42 year old father of four (a 14 year old, an 11 year old, and 7 year old twins), currently living in western Wisconsin (in the United States). I have a bachelor's degree in recreation management, and I am (formerly) certified as an elementary school teacher, a high school biology teacher, and a substitute teacher.

I have been playing computer games for a few decades now, starting with the old SSI game Secret of the Silver Blades. I've been playing one form or another of Dungeons & Dragons since I was 12. I've been a DM for most of that time.

Aenea began to take shape over 25 years ago as a D&D campaign world, since I did not have the money or the desire to run my games in the Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk or other published worlds. More was added to the world when I continued to use Aenea in my college gaming days.

After having NWN for about 9 months, I decided to start playing with the toolset to make my own little modules for the use of myself and the other members of my Saturday night D&D group to use during the week. After a few months, I decided to take the small starting town and build a PW spreading from there. I was still on a dial-up connection at the time, so I would download haks from the Vault at night while I slept, then work their content into the base haks for my world. I also taught myself how to script for the game.  At the time, I was a stay-at-home dad (and am once again after a stint as a grad student, then teacher, then grad student again).

Eventually (a year later) I got a good deal on a cable internet connection (which I had had in the past and missed sorely), and the pace of building accelerated. I also started graduate school, taking a double class load the first semester (29 credits). I didn't sleep much. Smile

I was determined to launch Aenea online before I started student teaching, and I had even less sleep since there was now a newborn in the house. On June 16, 2006, Aenea went live. A day later I figured out my firewall was blocking access to outside players  Rolling Eyes (I fixed it).

Since that time, there has been constant work on the World of Aenea. New features, new areas, new monsters, new items, and constant bug catching with several new additions. Even now, development continues.  I still don't sleep much. Neutral

Last edited by The Amethyst Dragon on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:06 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Just updating some info.)

The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7839
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

View user profile http://www.amethyst-dragon.com/nwn

Back to top Go down