Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creating of Non-magical (masterwork) items and traps

3 posters

Go down

Creating of Non-magical (masterwork) items and traps Empty Creating of Non-magical (masterwork) items and traps

Post by Anthroplayer Wed May 20, 2009 2:21 am

Well, The Amethyst Dragon did a really REALLY good job so far... but there are some things he either missed or altered.
Elmwood comes from Elm trees, which are pretty common just like Oak trees.
Elmwood Planks are typically made into Elmwood Bowshafts, and normally those are used for bows.
However The Amethyst Dragon instead used oak pole, which doesn't make much sense in regards to making a bow.
So, why not use Elmwood Bowshafts for making bows instead of a solid, non-bendable pole.

Also, Elmwood is more useful for making things like arrows, and in the case of this game, bolts.
So, why not allow the making of projectile shafts.
The Amethyst Dragon could allow a projectile shaft with feathers to be a arrow, and made into masterwork arrows (which aren't on the list).
The Amethyst Dragon could allow a projectile shaft with iron spikes to be a bolt, and made into masterwork bolts (which also oddly aren't on the list).
Next, why not allow Bolt of cloth to be made into a cloth torso like normal, which could be made into almost any of the normal, basic, 1 gp clothing types (rogue, commoner, warrior, priest, wizard, etc outfits and robes).

Also, the current forumale for traps doesn't make sense... shouldn't it be something like,
1 ingredient for minor, 2 for weak, 3 for average, 4 for strong, and 5 for deadly?
Right now it is 1 for minor, 3 for average, 4 for strong, and 4 for deadly... kinda odd.

Kinda odd also because some traps don't rely on leather strings but metal (sorta like mines and such).
So can holy, negative, sonic, and fire use either metal bands, rings, or similar?

[edit starts here]
I looked and steel axe heads make more sense for axe weapons than large blade...

Last edited by Anthroplayer on Wed May 20, 2009 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : important insight)
Anthroplayer
Anthroplayer
Aenean Scholar
Aenean Scholar

Male Number of posts : 340
Main Character : Rick Sanneset
Other Character : Arion Bloodbane
Other Character. : Callis Fellfair
Other Character.. : Richard Deathbend
NWN Username : Anthroplayer
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Creating of Non-magical (masterwork) items and traps Empty Re: Creating of Non-magical (masterwork) items and traps

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed May 20, 2009 10:59 am

In scripting this system, I went for a mix of versatility and simplicity. Here's how things are so far (and are subject to change as time goes on)...

elmwood - I thought about this, but nothing drops elm. I went with oak, since lots of stuff has the potential to drop oak. Sure, oak is considered "rigid", but for simplicity I went with only one type of wood.

arrows/bolts - These are so cheap (1 gp for 99 of them) that I wouldn't consider them worth the effort of gathering materials for. There are no masterwork arrows/bolts in Aenea...regular arrows/bolts are the ones used for enchanting.

cloth - I figured the cloth itself can be made into cloth items, without having to bother with a cloth torso. I put in the steel chain and plate versions because they are so different from each other.

traps - These I thought about for a while. The entire crafting system works off 1 to 5 "ingredients". With traps, I wanted something to non-magically connect everything, serve as "tripwires", etc...so I went with leather strings, the closest thing already on the materials list. As far as the progression of 1-4 of the base material...I was just figuring on effectiveness vs. hassle of collecting materials. The big scaling is actually on the DC to create the traps (straight from the old trap crafting code).

Keep up the suggestions! There are things I may use in the future in this section of the forum. Smile
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Creating of Non-magical (masterwork) items and traps Empty Re: Creating of Non-magical (masterwork) items and traps

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed May 20, 2009 12:13 pm

Hrmm, with bolts and arrows though, how about the possibility of crafting some of those really nice bolts and arrows I see in Entrom's every so often? The mithril tipped, platinum tipped varieties, ect?
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthroplayer Thu May 21, 2009 2:06 am

MannyJabrielle wrote:Hrmm, with bolts and arrows though, how about the possibility of crafting some of those really nice bolts and arrows I see in Entrom's every so often? The mithril tipped, platinum tipped varieties, ect?

Genious! Adamantium, Mithral, and Ironwood arrows would be awesome!
The material for making such things can be found in game shopping or searching, and it is expensive enough to make the crafting balanced.
Anthroplayer
Anthroplayer
Aenean Scholar
Aenean Scholar

Male Number of posts : 340
Main Character : Rick Sanneset
Other Character : Arion Bloodbane
Other Character. : Callis Fellfair
Other Character.. : Richard Deathbend
NWN Username : Anthroplayer
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down