Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Animal Companions and Animal Empathy.... Mounts?

5 posters

Go down

Animal Companions and Animal Empathy.... Mounts? Empty Animal Companions and Animal Empathy.... Mounts?

Post by Maeglin Dubh Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:09 pm

Is there a way for the engine to recognize non-horse animals as possible mounts? Direwolves, Dire Tigers, Bears of the Brown and Dire variety, and I'm sure a few other animals wandering about Aenea, would make amazing mounts.
Maeglin Dubh
Maeglin Dubh
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Number of posts : 521
Main Character : Derfel Cadarn, Warlord of Beuttleria
Other Character : Kasigi Toranaga, Serene Swordsman
Other Character. : Stan Card, Not a Crazed Marksman
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Back to top Go down

Animal Companions and Animal Empathy.... Mounts? Empty Re: Animal Companions and Animal Empathy.... Mounts?

Post by Kefrem Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:26 pm

To make a mount out of another animal would require model animation plotting if im not mistaken. In other words a tremendous script designed to postion the character on the animal and move the limbs to the proper locations.

And i think that Animal Companions and Animal Empathy.... Mounts? 787378 already has mentioned he was at the resource cap for the mod and is condensing stuff as is so it prob cant happen Animal Companions and Animal Empathy.... Mounts? Icon_sad
Kefrem
Kefrem
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 755
Main Character : Ignatius and Sykee
Other Character : Shi'ssar
Other Character. : Spyder
Other Character.. : Tarn
NWN Username : Kefremthemagus
Registration date : 2008-10-06

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=688&bu=

Back to top Go down

Animal Companions and Animal Empathy.... Mounts? Empty Re: Animal Companions and Animal Empathy.... Mounts?

Post by daveyeisley Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Amazing idea.... would love to see it, honestly.... but Kef is probably right that it would be a resource stretch. Bioware themselves could barely make mounts workable... I believe if The Amethyst Dragon had the time and module resources he could certainly manage such a feat... but.... wow....
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Animal Companions and Animal Empathy.... Mounts? Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Using creature scaling, finding the correct mount model shouldn't be too hard. It would require labeling the creature as a mount(able to use the special mount "feats").. then finding the correct "animal" (which would be a "tail" model ) ... I know most of the animals are in the cep stuff as tail models.. the top half comes from a phenotype change to the "race-riding" stlye.. then the "mount" gets added "underneath" as a tail model ... ... this is the reason gnomes/dwarves/hin appear to be riding "donkeys"....

I hope that makes sense...

It seems doable, it may require some odd weird scripting work (more then just setting the "X3_ISMOUNT" variable.. might require a new creature(s) adding to the pallete... and yes the animation may look "funky".... ....

Sounds like a fun idea though..
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:12 pm

From a quick delve....

There are a host of variables contained within "x3_inc_horse" that deal with making "custom mounts"....

The first being "bX3_IS_MOUNT" (boolean TRUE/FALSE or 1/0) to tell the script this is a mount and can use mount feats...

The next one is "X3_HORSE_TAIL" (int) which reads from the tailmodel.2da as what creature model to use as a "horse"...

Then there is "X3_HORSE_FOOTSTEP" to get the "hoof" sound to match the creature...

I tried making a mount out of various creature's and with some success those three varibles got it working...... and whilst the PC animated as expected, the creature looked "static"... NOT ONE actually animated correctly, it was likely I was missing something glaringly obvious...

Not all the creatures lined up correctly either.. most had my PC "floating way above", "sitting within" or "standing atop" the creature...

It does look as though it would also require new blueprints of all those creatures too, or at least the current blueprints updated....

So yes fully do-able, but requires tweaking... Might go vault hunting to see if it's already been done... ...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Found this on the vault which looks promising...

Check out the first screenie of this one here which I believe is what you'd like to see .... (the owner/maker/moder does point out its a "work-in-progress" - but does seem quite recent at least)..

Also just because I thought they looked quite interesting.. have a look here and here . The second one there looks almost like a must for ex-pally blackguards ! ....

PS ... sorry for the "triple" post.... my edit button seems to be busted...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Maeglin Dubh Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:32 pm

Rustydios, you are awesome.
Maeglin Dubh
Maeglin Dubh
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Number of posts : 521
Main Character : Derfel Cadarn, Warlord of Beuttleria
Other Character : Kasigi Toranaga, Serene Swordsman
Other Character. : Stan Card, Not a Crazed Marksman
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:10 pm

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Rustydios, you are awesome.

Thankyou .... Animal Companions and Animal Empathy.... Mounts? Icon_smile ....

Last edited by RustyDios on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : And just to note... the edit button is doing as it should now.. !! Must have been stupid finger trouble on my part.... .....)
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by __Ua__ Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:39 pm

Oh man...just to think being able to ride Glor into battle.
__Ua__
__Ua__
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 124
Main Character : Derik Aerlias
Other Character : Noric Aerlias
Other Character. : Mariela Kley
Other Character.. : Yeshua Son of Nun
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down