Other games we play

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Other games we play

Post by MannyJabrielle on Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:58 pm

So, i haven't been able to log into aenea for a while due to connection/laptop battery issues... but I HAVE been playing other games.

Currently playing (or rather replaying) through Mass effect 1 and 2. Anyone else play these? What's your favorite class/strategy?

ME1... infiltrator all the way with a biotic teammate and a heavy fighter too. ME 2 however... just started an infiltrator playthrough... and the cooldown issues are killing me! Especially after doing an adept playthrough and having a 3 second and 4 second cooldown on my main abilities. That, and still trying to figure out the best combo of squadmates. The new levelling system in ME2 is quite different.
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5928
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Other games we play

Post by daveyeisley on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:38 pm

ME2 was an absolute blast playing through as both a vanguard and an sentinel. Both are sturdy, and have solid ways of dealing with enemy defenses. Vanguards thrive up close and with the eviscerator and a good melee attack rhythm can bring down just about anything but flamethrowers, YMIRs, and bosses with ease. Sentinels thrive in just about any role except sniping.

Adept is tough due to lack of methods for dealing with shielded enemies (tali's energy drain as shep's bonus power is almost a must), and you will want an ally with the "pull" ability to set up Warp combos which is probably the most fun thing about being an adept.

Soldier is hampered the needing to switch ammo regularly... those few seconds can mean getting flanked or trapped. Plus the "best" assault rifle in the game, the revenant, is only really good at close range, which is where a soldier doesnt really wanna be... still with heavy weapons like the grenade launcher or the missile launcher, soldiers can whoop large amounts of arse. The mattock heavy rifle is almost as good as the revenant in most cases, and better on accuracy past close range so thats a bit of a toss up.... if things get close to a soldier, however, going full auto with the revenant and incendiary rounds is kind of scary to behold. Concussive shot at close range is also a lot of fun, whether you stand over the downed enemy and riddle them with bullets or just stomp them in melee.

Infiltrator is a finesse class, but get yourself a Widow, upgrade the tactical cloak to give slo-mo during zoom, and even powerful enemies are dead before they can threaten you. The only thing to watch out for is surprise spawns, but the tactical cloak is also great for tactical withdrawals in a pinch - "Oh, look, a YMIR right next to me....*poof*"

Although I am not the largest fan of her dialogue, Miranda is pound-for-pound one of the best "utility" squadmates due to having ways to deal with shields (overload) as well as barriers and armor (warp). her bonus power, Slam, also gives her a way to disable enemies temporarily to buy time to avoid enemy flanking.

Next to her, you have Garrus who gets overload for shields, concussive shot for barriers, and eventually armor-piercing ammo. He struggles a bit against armor until he is loyal. He can be a sniper or a shock trooper depending on what weapon you have him use.

Alternately you have Zaeed with concussive shot for barriers, disuptor ammo for shields and inferno grenade for armor (and they are aoe which can be sorta nice, but still low on dmg), he isnt the best against armor even with the loyalty power, but due to his weapon choices he is still very solid all around, and slightly tougher than Garrus.

For my money, I love Samara because she gets assault rifles, pull (for warp combos), and her reave ability shreds everything but shields, heals the user when targeting organics, and also momentarily disables the enemy. My favorite special ability in the game.

Thane is also very solid because he gets warp for barriers and armor, and uses submachine guns which shred shields nicely. His bonus power is lackluster, but having an extra throw can be critical to avoid enemy flanking.

Mordin probably has the best AOE in the game with Incinerate (second only to *maybe* an adept doing a warp detonation combo), and simply ruins something that doesnt have a shield or a barrier.... or multiple somethings.
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6824
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. :
Registration date : 2008-06-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:57 pm

I actually quit ME2 at the start as gameplay was altered so much from the first. Some of the changes appear fine, but I hate having to run over ammo clips; seems silly, as discarded clips should be empty.

But I am still having a blast with ME1. Started the game with an Infiltrator, and manged to unlock the Sniper achievement, so the Sniper Rifle now appears as an option for any new Shepard. So I am repeating the game with a female Sentinal (explore Biotics and the VO), and following her with the original Shepard to try and achieve 60th lvl, as it adds a little bit more to the ME2 sequel.

Motto of the Day: Loyalty is a team willing to go into the Mako with me at the helm. And/or insanity.
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1729
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. :
Registration date : 2009-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:00 pm

Um ... I just found another server that I like to hop on every now and then - the Ansalon server. Not much going on there, but it seems like its built solidly.

I don't play any games other than NwN ... I have limited amounts of time, and I know what I like! (I don't count the games on DirecTV's Game Lounge ... they're more of a distraction than anything else ...)
Eric of Atrophy
Seriously Epic Level
Seriously Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 3798
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 04:00 EST
Registration date : 2008-06-06

View user profile http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:21 pm

The revenenant is a good rifle. I'm fond of the one you get when you recruit Garrus... but my absolute favorite is the one from the firepower dlc (forget it's name). Go into an adrenaline rush, and take out a charging krogan before the rush wears off... gotta love that (cuz i hate charging krogan).

My only issue with the widow sniper rifle is the 1 shot/magazine thing. Same with the Mantis. Great for ranged, but I tend to find I'm fighting at mid-range.

For my adept... shields were a pain, but I worked around that by having my smg ready all the time. Throw up a barrier, and just lay into the target, or have a teammate hit it with overload.

The baddies that gave me the most trouble on that playthrough (hardcore setting), were the really big reaper tank things, and the scions that did the shockwave-freeze thing. The tank liked to focus on me, making me run from cover to cover... and the scions and their shockwaves... cover didn't seem to help!

And... my biggest breakthrough of the game... my first playthrough was at my normal 1280x800 resolution. BUt the "interact" boxes on npcs and items and such wouldn't work most of the time unless I approached them just right or was looking straight up/down or whatnot... I lost count how many times mordin died in those tubes in the suicide mission because I just could NOT get the valve switches to activate...

Then before I uninstalled the game, I decided to just mess around with settings.... what wouldyou know... at 800x600, I actually had the interaction boxes working right and constantly!

And I haven't used Zaeed yet... didn't get that DLC yet. Nor the one with the thief girl. Stolen memory will be my next dlc to get though... especially since it apparently has a new smg... which there aren't a lot of options for in this game.
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death on Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:24 am

I haven't really played much of any game for the past few months, although the last two weeks now I have been digging into the toolset of nwn1. Quite fun actually. Smile

As for other games, the last game I purchased was Heroes of Might and Magic 5. . .but I haven't found the time to spare to really get into it yet. Really enjoy that game serie. sunny
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1131
Main Character : CÚlestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:39 am

Lately I've been spending a bit of time in DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online), picked back up my free to play account for a bit when I got my internet back and then the wife got me a vip subscription for me b-day. Got a few guest passes for some pay to play content sitting in my bags, so if anyone is interested shoot me a pm and we can meet up there and do a few runs
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1103
Main Character : Sir Rayvensclaw Nightkind Leader of the Clan of Night
Paladin/Champion of Dalix/Wizard
NWN Username : Rayven Nightkind
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00
Registration date : 2008-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:29 am

I actually quit ME2 at the start as gameplay was altered so much from the first. Some of the changes appear fine, but I hate having to run over ammo clips; seems silly, as discarded clips should be empty.

To be fair, enemies who die before they can use their extra clips would allow for ammo pickups.

But I am still having a blast with ME1. Started the game with an Infiltrator, and manged to unlock the Sniper achievement, so the Sniper Rifle now appears as an option for any new Shepard. So I am repeating the game with a female Sentinal (explore Biotics and the VO), and following her with the original Shepard to try and achieve 60th lvl, as it adds a little bit more to the ME2 sequel.

Great idea. Planet scanning in ME2 is.... not so much. Even after you get the scanning upgrades you may find yourself wishing there was some other way to get what you need for research. Having a level 60 shep gives you a solid amount of resources right at the start og the game. You will still go through them quickly, but it helps.

Motto of the Day: Loyalty is a team willing to go into the Mako with me at the helm. And/or insanity.

Mako was one of the things from ME1 that didnt start bothering me until I started re-playing the game. In the beginning planets, its not too tough to get from point A to point B. Later on, there are heavy gravity planets with steep mountain ranges and only a single roundabout path to get there you want to go... and it left me wishing I had some sort of atmospheric flight capability, which considering the tech level of the game should be more than possible. It just got tiresome by the second playthrough, and was loathesome sometime during the third.
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anonymoogle on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 am

Haven't been playing Aenea as much lately. Leveling seems to be getting fairly hard lately with how often I end up dying relative to the amount of xp I get. Wish more people were on to party with, that'd probably make it easier. Mad

Other than that... Monster Hunter games on the PSP. Last week I broke down and imported Portable 3rd G, and my friend found a translation patch for it, we've been thoroughly grinding the everloving crap out of the game. It's such an MMO in denial.
And for some random reason I started a new KOTOR game. That only lasted a couple hours though, I have more fun modding textures than I do actually playing the game. Rolling Eyes
Anonymoogle
Adventurer
Adventurer

Number of posts : 26
Main Character : Kaerizaki, Monk of the Sylvan Styles
Registration date : 2011-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Svair on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:38 am

KOTOR and Planescape are two games I've always meant to pick up someday. I've sometimes wanted to pick up DDO, but Aenea keeps drawing me back in. RayvenNightkind, what's your verdict?

I play a lot of Street Fighter IV AE. Watch about 3 hrs a video, practice 10 hours, compete (and do poorly) another 10 hours each week. If it makes any sense, I kinda like the "Resolved in 4.5 Minutes or Less" gameplay at the moment.

I have shivers when I think about the upcoming Batman title.
Svair
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1174
Main Character : Karamip Ningle
Other Character : Phyllick Delucian
NWN Username : S'Vair
. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle on Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:29 pm

you can alter how often clips are dropped by editing a certain file. Forget it's exact name... same one that you can tweak the mouse sensitivity with (which was horrible even on the "low" setting...).

PLanet scanning... my first playthrough I was a scan-happy marine... and after I gotten all the upgrades I could afford, I found I had WAY more resources than needed, even accounting for the upgrades I couldn't purchase... and I hadn't scanned even a quater of the planets. That made the scanning to me seem a bit.... meh.

I hated the mako. It was so damn twitchy to control.... plus it eats half your XP on kills.

i like the new hacking minigame... the bypass minigame... the mouse sensitivity tweak didn't work, so that one is a huge pain for me until I can get that time extender upgrade.
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon on Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:38 pm

This weekend was rather busy (yes, this is my first time for NWN in days), but in previous weeks I've been grabbing 15-minutes every night or two to play Call of Duty: Black Ops online. Gives me just enough time to start the game, jump online, and do a 10-minute round of mindless killing. I am getting a bit better than I started...last week one night I got lucky and managed to have an especially murderous round with 30 kills and only 5 deaths (gotta love it when the enemies keep walking into my line of fire).

Main Loadout: Something I call "Cloaked Heavy"
M60 light machine gun (with grip attachment for better accuracy) (hooray for 100-round clips...200 if I switch "grip" for "extended clip")
Strela-3 rocket launcher (gets 2 shots against aircraft)
semtex "sticky" grenade, decoy grenades, claymore directional mine
Perks:
Ghost Pro (invisible to spy planes and ignored by attack helicopters, sentry guns, and attack dogs)
Hardened Pro (shoot through walls better and extra damage against helicopters and equipment)
Second Chance Pro (pull pistol when dropped by enemies, survive longer before bleeding out, and can be revived by teammates before death)

The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7788
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 7:00 (Arizona)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

View user profile http://www.amethyst-dragon.com/nwn

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind on Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Svair, i feel ya on Aenea, I don't think I could ever leave, love the world and the people way to much to ever walk away from that addiction, lol, but DDO is a whole different creature all together, it just kinda rounds out my D&D gameing since I can't find any steady PnP games round here. It uses 3.5 rules which is rather nice since that's what i played with my last group, I can even remake my elven Bladesinger just like I had in my PnP game, Woot! Very Happy So yeah, I am pretty much a fan of both Aenea and DDO, and combined I can get my fix doubly well. Oh and one more thing, DDO is set in Eberon not Forgotten Realms, so if ya are so inclined you could have the option to play as a warforged, oh they are beasts, Razz .
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Svair on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:18 pm

First World Problems: I want to play Aenea, Batman: AC, Skyrim, Street Fighter IV, and SWTOR but I only have 24 hours in a day (and my unsympathetic family demands I spend time with them).
Svair
Epic Level
Epic Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon on Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Svair wrote:...my unsympathetic family demands I spend time with them...
Ha!

The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7788
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 7:00 (Arizona)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

View user profile http://www.amethyst-dragon.com/nwn

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:40 am

I've been on Titan Quest - Immortal Throne these few weeks - nothing says fun like a PC editor and a PC vault!
Eric of Atrophy
Seriously Epic Level
Seriously Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 3798
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 04:00 EST
Registration date : 2008-06-06

View user profile http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala on Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:18 pm

@ Svair: KOTOR 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games ever, well worth the time.

Myself, I have been too busy to play, or even to open the toolset like I want to, as we're making a new workshop for our business. And when not doing that, my husband has us trying out Netflix.

But in the random ten minutes here and there, I've been trying to learn Oblivion. I had it on my computer before Skyrim came out, and it plays much better of course on my system than Skyrim. It took me a while to get used to the controls and leveling issues and read up on all the bugs and install all the user fixes. So, I've been trying to get a little Thief and Assassin action going there, having left the heir apparent to deal with that little problem out west by himself for a while.

BTW, I've wondered if there are any other games besides the NWNs and Elder Scrolls for good Rogue plots, if anyone would like to comment?

Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1033
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Never played them, but the Thief games were recommended as one supposedly gets to be stealthy and clever, as opposed to H&S action hero style of play.

And I luv some DA series play, especially in DAO when one could wear Light or Heavy armor. I enjoyed my many armored Rogues, as some on the Forums were being overly critical of the idea, and there I was proving them otherwise. But both games were fun for me; well worth my investment.

And while not a Rogue, the ME series Infiltrator was well made, especially love Sniper Rifles. While I did not care much for the profanity in ME2, the first game was quite enjoyable; spent many, many hours in multiple playthroughs.
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:44 pm

I was so incredibly disappointed that the only one of the Thief games that would play on my XP system was in obligatory first-person perspective, and so made me motion-sick. The earlier ones for Win98 I couldn't get to play even in compatibility mode. I don't suppose there is one of them I might have missed that plays on XP and is in third-person perspective?

DA meaning Dragon Age? I didn't realize that there was anything for a Rogue to do in that series. Might have to look into those then.

And ME meaning Mass Effect? I don't mind a Rogue that's not DnD. In fact, I loved KOTOR 1 and 2 for their computer-infiltrator type stuff. I actually love sci-fi and even spy rogues when they're done cleverly, with more interesting things to delve into than only killing.

Thanks for the suggestions! Smile
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Ramana Jala wrote:I was so incredibly disappointed that the only one of the Thief games that would play on my XP system was in obligatory first-person perspective, and so made me motion-sick. The earlier ones for Win98 I couldn't get to play even in compatibility mode. I don't suppose there is one of them I might have missed that plays on XP and is in third-person perspective?

DA meaning Dragon Age? I didn't realize that there was anything for a Rogue to do in that series. Might have to look into those then.

And ME meaning Mass Effect? I don't mind a Rogue that's not DnD. In fact, I loved KOTOR 1 and 2 for their computer-infiltrator type stuff. I actually love sci-fi and even spy rogues when they're done cleverly, with more interesting things to delve into than only killing.

Thanks for the suggestions! Smile

Dragon Age: Origins has a few ways to approach Roguish play. That was one of the first times I tried Stealth, though I used it more of a scouting perk than a primary function in my chosen style. And Rogues may play a major role with all racial origins, as opposed to Mage. DA2 was more restricted (only Humans, and Rogues could eith be an Archer and/or DW), but I love playing Archers and snipers, so it was still quite enjoyable.

FYI - DAO was the only new game I could play for a year; played a score of different characters. This is my fave game next to NWN1. Still got 300-400 hrs from DA2, as I am a bit of a completionist for some things.

Mass Effect - the Infilltrator has access to Sniper Rifles, and moving around for tactical positions makes for a fine stealthy character. And a cloaking device was added for ME2 to add to the abilities. The stories are terrific, though I prefer the first game overall.
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:03 am

Currently quite into the sixth game of the Heroes of Might and Magic series. I just love that game. Very Happy
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1131
Main Character : CÚlestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:39 pm

The Dragon Age games are a blast, still working on completeing all the race/class combo stories, gonna take FOREVER, but totally worth it
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:42 pm

RayvenNightkind wrote:The Dragon Age games are a blast, still working on completeing all the race/class combo stories, gonna take FOREVER, but totally worth it

That said, I highly recommend playing the City Elf Origin as a female for gathering the full impact of the story. Best rendition I have seen of the Robert E Howard-like lore seen to date, at least in a CRPG. very moving and motivational for many possible choices. So pls add Gender to your combo, too.

My personal faves were the Human Noble (canon) and Dwarven Noble tales, though I liked all of them. The Dalsih Elf story started rather slow for me personally, but offered one of the better conclusions, so all are good.
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:02 am

Elhanan, as of right now I have two pc's on DAO, both human noble, one male warrior and one female rogue, I assume that if I were to start a pc with the city elf lineage it would have to be one of those 2 classes to get the full imapct of the story you speak of, if not I may just start a female mage with city elf lineage. , scratch that, I forgot, Mage has a seperate story Embarassed
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:59 am

All Mages must start in the Circle; be it Human or Elf. And Dwarves supposedly cannot use magic themselves, but of course with rules, there may be exceptions.

As mentioned, I played at least a score of characters over a period of my year away from Aenea; had all the DLC, plus mods to allow for Respec, added items, etc. Not one was boring, though the 2H classes can start a little slow; just takes patience and practice.

My brother played a bit of this on my system this past year, and enjoyed it, too. Good news; he purchased the Ultimate ed. Bad news; forgot he does not have a DVD on his system at home. heh!

Enjoy! I think you really will! Terrific, powerful stories, and the best villain I have seen in over 25+ years. Very complex; offers even more depth if one can actually allow him to live with at least one Warden, though I doubt I could do so playing a Human Noble.
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:35 am

I used to have it for Xbox, and now have PS3, so I got the ultimate edition for xmas, really cool having all the dlc, to bad one can't mod the console version of games, with that said, I haven't gotten to far one either pc yet, I make one race/class and play for a bit then start the next so I have all of them to choose from depending on mood and such Twisted Evil
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:42 pm

Of the DLC that is played seperately, the armor gained from Lelianna's Song was probably the most used and useful addition. And the Club gained and sold from The Golems of Amgarrak will solve any money issues you have along the way as a rule.
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Ooh, just checked those goodies out on the wiki, gonna have to play those real soon
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Elhanan wrote:
.... I highly recommend playing the City Elf Origin as a female for gathering the full impact of the story. Best rendition I have seen of the Robert E Howard-like lore seen to date, at least in a CRPG. very moving and motivational for many possible choices. So pls add Gender to your combo, too.

My personal faves were the Human Noble (canon) and Dwarven Noble tales, though I liked all of them. The Dalsih Elf story started rather slow for me personally, but offered one of the better conclusions, so all are good.

That build might be really good for me, I was going to play my usual Female Elf Rogue (Ramana), and she's got a City background in fact. And I see there's a Rangerish option under Rogue specializations (here and most of the time my Ramana's been Ranger/Rogue).

I'm trying to free up enough space on my hard drive to install DA when I can get it.
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:02 am

Ramana Jala wrote:
That build might be really good for me, I was going to play my usual Female Elf Rogue (Ramana), and she's got a City background in fact. And I see there's a Rangerish option under Rogue specializations (here and most of the time my Ramana's been Ranger/Rogue).

I'm trying to free up enough space on my hard drive to install DA when I can get it.

In that year, I skipped the Ranger totally; only gives you a few critters, and the starting bonuses. Same went for Reaver and Shapeshifter, though I skipped the former due to RP purposes rather than perceived weakness. While I can play with an Assassin skillset that is not a murderer and vile, it seeme unlikely that I could do the same with a Reaver.

But the female City Elf Origin may be one of the strongest emotional charged stories in the game, and is well worth the time. The male version is also enjoyable, but seemed to lack the long term motivation seen thru a woman's eyes. IMO.
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:13 am

I'd be hard pressed to choose from the Rogue Specializations of Assassin, Bard, Duelist, or Ranger. They are really all very Ramana. Think an Elven Lara Croft for a basic example of her wide skills set.

The Bard intrigues me, because Ramana is so complex a character that I'm often limited by the game mechanics and infrequently get to express the charisma she's supposed to have as a clever roguish woman of the world.
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:44 am

Bard has some nifty Songs, but one must stand in place to sing some of them. I usually leave all this to my Companions of choice rather than take the lead.

The vast majority of my choices were Assassin/ Duelist, and only using the Talents of the latter mostly. The Rogue has so many good Talents from which to choose, that these are not missed.

But the real quality of the game is in the written dialogue and companion interactions, even if one only chooses to speak to them in camp. While I did make some solo playthroughs, I highly recommend not doing this until you have listened to the wonderful banter available heard on the road.

And the companion AI is so much better then one gets in some other games, too.
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:57 am

Definitely Assassin, I think. And Ramana duel-wields well, although she favors her bow for trying to keep from getting too near enemies whenever possible. Duelist, probably. Although I like that the Ranger says that it's an opportunist rather than a naturey type. Opportunist is her middle name, lol.

I was reading a bit more, and I realize that I'd previously discounted the City Elf in favor of the Dalish build because Ramana is an aristocrat's runaway daughter, with a noble bearing. But, do you think I can play the City Elf with the feeling of a runaway noble girl on the streets, rather than the story being totally locked to a personal heritage of racial oppression?
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:00 pm

Ramana Jala wrote:Definitely Assassin, I think. And Ramana duel-wields well, although she favors her bow for trying to keep from getting too near enemies whenever possible. Duelist, probably. Although I like that the Ranger says that it's an opportunist rather than a naturey type. Opportunist is her middle name, lol.

I was reading a bit more, and I realize that I'd previously discounted the City Elf in favor of the Dalish build because Ramana is an aristocrat's runaway daughter, with a noble bearing. But, do you think I can play the City Elf with the feeling of a runaway noble girl on the streets, rather than the story being totally locked to a personal heritage of racial oppression?

The DA Elves were once a very noble people, but after some terrible wars, have been reduced to either second class citizens living in the cities, or as rebels in the woods. Thing is, one of the story hooks mentioned in several accounts in the game is that some City Elves flee to rebel camps for safe haven, or to pursue their own religious freedom. In both cases, one may play a boon or a bane to their brethren; depends on your choices.

From an RP standpoint, a noble heart is well supported in both tales. IMO. Even the Elven Mage tale could be quite similar, as magic is feared and the Mages are all but imprisoned. I played one of mine as a Dalish mage, even if the dialogue does not support that role specifically.

All the Origin stories are wonderful, and I highly recommend seeing all them, at least to the point where one ends up at Ostagar.

P.S. Some Duelist Talents also aid Archery; a nice perk for those using both ranged and melee.
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:58 pm

When you say, "a noble heart is well supported in both tales", I'm not sure we meant the same thing. Ramana doesn't have a 'noble heart' in the usual sense of being good-hearted, what I meant is that she's of aristocratic noble lineage. Even though she is friendly, refined, and gracious, I would never call her good-hearted, as she is quite selfish and avaricious.

Since I am so fond of playing this particular character personality, of an aristocratic girl gone roguish, I was hoping that the DA story would allow me to play something in that vein. I've got the Elf Female Rogue Assassin Duelist choices rather settled, and your comment on Duelist aiding Archery sealed that, thank you. But I'm still in indecision over the Race. At first it seemed that the Dalish proud rebel in the woods was most like my little lady ranger, moreso than oppressed city dweller, but she is as much an urban ranger, knowing how to get along in the city, as a wilderness ranger. And Ramana did have a period in her life where she making a living on the (back-)streets of cities.

So I'm still not sure which, the City Elf or the Dalish Elf, would really suit how I would want to play my first character in DA.

Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:20 pm

I am rather known for injecting my own imagination into dialogue to make RP work, and believe both could be done here. The City Elf has a dead mother that instructed her in the ways of a rogue (or warrior), and the Dalish is missing both parents, and was reared by friends in the tribe. Who is to say what bloodline runs in her veins due to the extant political and religious unrest?

However, my recommendation is to play each Origin story, and then decide from there which fits this character choice more. Each are only an hour or so into the massive tale, and all Origins end at the same location.
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Svair on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Heh. I'm liking my poor Dwarf Assassin, especially since I'm playing against my usual style.

Steals at every opportunity, and is as churlish to others as much as the dialogue allows. Willing to stabby a prisoner in his cage and claim immunity to repercussions because of her new status.

But I might have to play the Elf Mage origins now that I've been reading this thread.
Svair
Epic Level
Epic Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Oh, coolie, I didn't understand that you could play a short prequel for different Origins, that's perfect!

I also have just acquired the Prima Game Guide, and am looking over the pertient sections.

Thanks hugely for all your suggestions, I'll refer to them and act on them!

pirat
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:49 am

Svair wrote:Heh. I'm liking my poor Dwarf Assassin, especially since I'm playing against my usual style.

Steals at every opportunity, and is as churlish to others as much as the dialogue allows. Willing to stabby a prisoner in his cage and claim immunity to repercussions because of her new status.

But I might have to play the Elf Mage origins now that I've been reading this thread.

Did you get scolded by Duncan for stealing in Ostagar? Kinda funny stuff, and one gets some more insight into the Warden Commander. Or try agreeing with Alistair that both of you want to be a part of the main battle; my personal fave as Duncan actually sighs in disgust. Even if you do not hold to such decisions for your character, try saving and playing them out for the laughs. Even after a year of play, I was discovering new dialogue choices, so I tried not to speed past scenes too often.
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:29 pm

I recieved SWTOR for a Christmas gift, as well as a couple of months of playtime; in case anyone is wondering where I have been. Finally decided the servers were less packed than at release, so I finally got my Sith Inquisitor design dusted off from beta, and finally hit 50th tonight after much work. And that is what is the problem with this game for me.

As most know, besides being Techless, I am also Twitchless, and SWTOR requires a bit more skill at the helm than I am used to playing in other games. Knowing the basics from the beta testing, I knew I could do well enough considering I would be in PvE; not PvP, and that Death penalties are fairly easy (ie; no XP loss, a short wait of no more than 10 min if wanting to remain at same location, a possible transport to a nearby med facility if not wanting to wait, and small repair costs to gear).

And the worlds are so well done! The environments are on caliber with upgraded KOTOR and DAO scenery, and asll are properly sized; no TARDIS ships or houses anymore. While I would prefer a bit more realistic art, I was able to generate an intimidating pure blooded Sith for my character, so the overall look is appealing enough for me. But I am fairly easy to please, as I used coins for my characters in PnP for years.

The music and sound FX are top notch; almost wish I could crank it up louder, but the neighbors might have an issue with soundtracks, blaster fire, and Forced Lightning at wierd hours of the night. And the stories are fairly well done; some are better than others, and mine could have stayed a bit more on track for my tastes, but still find myself playing storylines for RP reasons whuch is a good sign.

But it is work, or it feels like it at times.

Some battles that cannot be won due to my own lack of expertise have to wait for me to get another level or so, upgraded gear and skills, etc, then try again. This does not occur frequently, but often enough to somewhat spoil immersion (eg; the Epic Dark lord leaves, heals, shops, levels, and then returns to best his foe who was kind enough to wait). I have been stuck on one planet for a few days now due to this, and now I have topped out, so no more levels for me; tis crunch time, though better gear is still an option, as well as a respec of Skills.

And while many worlds are free and open for exploration, a few planets and most quest sites are jam filled with warm bodies (or droids) to wade thru before achieving the objective. It is finish battle, heal, take a few steps, then rinse & repeat. Now many such quests like this are optional, but as one that needed every drop of XP I could gather reasonably, I tried most side quests. My guess it is like this due to MMO environs, as there has to be plenty of stuff for all to gather; not just the solo player.

I am glad I tried it, and wish I could continue in some ways, as each main character has a different story, and that may be altered by indv decisions (eg; my Sith is playing more Neutral/ Grey in choices; some Light and Dark choices for balance). But for a monthly fee, I should be having more fun, and less feeling of toil and struggle knowing I will never be as good as most Players.

I would give it 7 or 8/ 10 on a personal scale, and recommend it more for those willing to group, chat and RP, and being more experienced at more Real Time combat.
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DPLincoln on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:16 am

I ran in the first two beta tests and the free week they just did. As a long time gamer, I found the game completely refreshing for an MMO. There were far more things to do and for once it made you think about your character and your actions vice the WoW style of play where being a jerk was the norm, regardless of server. I had a great time with the game and built several hardcore bounty hunters. The one thing I didn't do was climb the bounty hunter's healing tree. He could put out some serious damage and if that were converted through the healing tree, he could heal the whole party easily and still DPS.

I just can't afford the monthly fee bit any more. So, I reloaded NWN and here I am.

Of course, I would be remiss in not mentioning my other game: World of Tanks. Free to play (soon to also have world of planes and world of battleships), you start off in some very horrible tanks from the very beginning. Fortunately, you're fighting similarly pathetic tanks and can see victory easy. Stay alive, shoot a lot, gain coin and research points in that vehicle. Most tanks have a treads upgrade, 1-3 engine upgrades, 1-3 radios, 1-3 turrets, and up to 7 different guns. For instance, the KV has the DERP gun, does 950 damage but takes forever to reload or you can put on a 76 and go hunting.... slowly as the KV moves like molasses.

I play mostly artillery and tank destroyer with a russian heavy line as well. I use the IS-3 and IS-4 tanks and a German Lowe.

Next couple of patches they're including physics in the gameplay. If you're a scout tank and cruise at 60 kmh and hit a bump your tank will get air. You can roll off/be pushed off cliffs and fall upside down. The game only gets better!

Give it a look.
DPLincoln
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2012-03-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:12 pm

Ooooh, DAO is one of my favorite games...

My last play-through was a human noble rogue, duelweilding and in massive plate (veridium warden commander's plate from the one DLC). Played her through the golems DLC on nightmare after completing origins and before going into awakening... tore the harvester to shreds better than I expected.

I've been going through the mass effect games lately though... got 3, but lost all my ME1 and ME2 saves in a computer crash...

For that, doing a femshep renegade vanguard, and a maleshep paragon infiltrator.

Also finding that the ME1 inventory system is a huge pain... especially if you don't like running to a store to sell everything after every planet fall (like me). If only ME1 had a "convert all to omnigel" feature)
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:51 am

I've started Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Very Elder Scrolls, I think one of the developers used to be with that franchise. Love the somersaults one can do in battle, that was the only way to endure the first boss, a giant troll.

Still playing through Oblivion (for the first time).

Gave up on Skyrim, not only was it a wee bit straining of my computer capability, I heard that it's turned out to be more hack-n-slash than the RP promised, and with various other not-so-great reviews.

Picked up Dragon Age, but haven't cleaned enough stuff off my hard drive to comfortably install it yet (installation requires 20 gig).

Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:47 am

Skyrim does not have the written RP depth of Bioware games, but it is a solid RP game; would not have been able to generate 800+ hrs on it unless it did.

The more compelling tales for me are the Main quests, the Dark Brotherhood quests, and a peppering of the city quests like the Forsworn in Marakath. Not to say that there is not some combat, as the archery used is top notch, as is stealth. But for personal depth, be certain to read the various books, notes, etc. found, as these are often responsible for a great deal of info on the world, as well as generating an emotional response to various events. The Journal of Kodlak; the Harbringer of the Companions is one that comes to mind, as well as some personal works seen in a certain lighthouse. I went from sympathy to rage fairly quickly for an entire race of beings based on the evidence presented, and found myself less than compassionate moving forward.

Just do not expect Twu Wuv, as romance is the weak link in the TES chain, IMO. But to compensate, who does not want to hear Max von Sydow and Christoper Plummer as mentors?
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:51 pm

Well, well, I could dig a little mentor worship with those voices, yeah.

Romance has never been essential for me. And when it happens just for its own sake, it hardly ever really works. Better if it were well-integrated into the development of the plot. Like comrades in crime who through working closely as a team, get close and find each other as fascinatingly dangerous as their work. Or even romance necessarily used for getting somewhere in the pursuance of some goal, or for manipulation or espionage, a la Mata Hari. All that roguish stuff. Haven't really found this kind of thing very fleshed out in any game yet, though.

But first and foremost, I look more for some interesting personal evolution story that I can feel emotionally invested in.

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe after I get through all these other games, and upgrade my RAM at least, I'll reconsider Skyrim.
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Ok. I played Mass Effect 3. I beat it. The gameplay and the story experience are unquestionably the best of my RPG gaming career. Better than KOTOR, better than DA, just.... incredible and epic.

Not perfect, mind you... but far and away superior to any RPG I have played before. I was revelling in the experience, the story, the epic catharsis that these talented people had built up to over the last few years since ME1.

My expectations were at an all time high for any video game I have ever played. I was invested nearly as much in Commander Shepard's story as I am in Crideas Bane, and Crideas is my own (borderline mary sue) creation.... thats saying something.

I didn't even realize I was that invested, I was enjoying it so much.... I was delaying and doing little subconscious things to slow down completion of the game.... double and then triple-checking spots for easter eggs, taking unneeded breaks just to savor the discovery of new story elements or small resolutions of past plots arcs.

I didn't want it to end. I had read about the widespread disappointment with the endings, and I had broken down and peeked at the details.

When I beat the game, yes, the last 20-30 minutes left me staring at the screen.... confused. How could a game so well-made from the opening seconds all the way through to that climax have suddenly started to make no sense, and offer naught but dissatisfaction and confusion? It created new questions without answering the ones already burning in my mind since the first game..... it offered no closure at all....

If you felt, or know someone who felt similarly about the game.... please, please, please....

Read or tell the other person to read this insightful blog post.

WARNING: the title of the blog and a spot or two within contain profanity. I do not consider it excessive at all, personally, but your mileage may vary, and I would not recommend reading it at work.
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:28 pm

What I know is that Bioware is releasing a DLC (which will be made free for a while) to better explain the current conclusion to the tale.

I watched a Paragon related comclusion on youtube (more like the one I would see if I had continued), and I am personally fine with it. However, I am not that invested, as the character involved is far removed from the kinds of choices I would make. For instance, I saved everyone in ME2, but loathed the character of Jack, and would not have seen her again.

Personally, I care more about DA3; my next planned purchase.
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:29 am

I just got a copy of ME3 on amazon for $29, it was a lightning deal for a hour (think there is still aboout 30 min left), to good of a price to pass up even if the ending isn't what people had hoped for. Looking forward to giving it a run through.
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:40 pm

daveyeisley wrote:
When I beat the game, yes, the last 20-30 minutes left me staring at the screen.... confused. How could a game so well-made from the opening seconds all the way through to that climax have suddenly started to make no sense, and offer naught but dissatisfaction and confusion? It created new questions without answering the ones already burning in my mind since the first game..... it offered no closure at all....

If you felt, or know someone who felt similarly about the game.... please, please, please....

Read or tell the other person to read this insightful blog post.

I read that entire blog post with interest as I'd heard of fans' dissatisfaction with the endings. So, you agree with its implication, that the ending is not botched, but deliberate for some covert reason?

Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Not that I agree it was intentionally made to trick people, no. Sadly, I have read more and am beginning to believe that instead of the usual writing process and peer-review of the game sequences.... the executive producer and lead writer wrote the ending themselves and did not allow any other input.

There are a number of good logical reasons why tricking your fans can backfire horribly. Especially when you don't foreshadow outside the game (social media, official website, etc) or reveal the trick for so long.

That said, the whole situation is a huge, huge, huge, missed opportunity for the reasons discussed in the blog post. More to the point, it is a way for player's to think of the unexplained content in the game that allows them to at least accept and make peace with the ending to a degree. It still requires the imagination filling in some blanks, but its FAR superior to the ending as presented.

Kind of sad to be saying that....

I posted on the BSN directed to Casey Hudson (exec. producer) asking if it is true he and Mac Walters (lead writer) wrote the ending by themselves, and if so, more explanation of how they reached their decisions.

I am not expecting a response.... but who knows....
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down