Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tech Questions From The Techless Minds

5 posters

Go down

Tech Questions From The Techless Minds Empty Tech Questions From The Techless Minds

Post by Elhanan Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:15 pm

Made the title rather general so that one may add to this post as they have need....

Q: Using Win7; some of my desktop icons have the Security logo added atop of them, and I belive these require an additional prompt to launch the games. Is there a safe way to alter this without losing security? Question

Thanks!
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Tech Questions From The Techless Minds Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Tech Questions From The Techless Minds Empty Re: Tech Questions From The Techless Minds

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:04 pm

Still using XP, boss, so's I can't help ya here ... but we've got lots of bright bulbs, so I'm sure someone will have answers for ya!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Tech Questions From The Techless Minds Empty Re: Tech Questions From The Techless Minds

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:04 pm

I am using win7 now myself, I've had this issue with Vista as well. I vaguely recall a fix for that, but around that time I also decided the best fix was cooking the vista disk in the microwave of someone who annoyed me Razz

If anyone else can recall that fix, there'd be more than one happy Aenean Smile
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:42 am

I still use XP on my own system but I am a bit familiar with Win7 from being the tech who always has to figure out my husband's new Win7. (But I'm saving my XP install disk, and if I lose it, it might be Linux on my next computer.)

There's a lot of annoying permissions, yeah. To activate that shortcut, do you have to right-click and choose Run As Administrator? And I assume you do have Administrator privileges with your own User account in your computer? There may be a way to right-click, go to a Security Tab and then reset the permissions there, but you will have to have Administrator privileges.

If Entropic Chaos sees this, he might be able to help, as he knows a lot about current systems. If he's got a forum account here yet, you could PM him to ask.

Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 am

Ramana Jala wrote:I still use XP on my own system but I am a bit familiar with Win7 from being the tech who always has to figure out my husband's new Win7. (But I'm saving my XP install disk, and if I lose it, it might be Linux on my next computer.)

There's a lot of annoying permissions, yeah. To activate that shortcut, do you have to right-click and choose Run As Administrator? And I assume you do have Administrator privileges with your own User account in your computer? There may be a way to right-click, go to a Security Tab and then reset the permissions there, but you will have to have Administrator privileges.

If Entropic Chaos sees this, he might be able to help, as he knows a lot about current systems. If he's got a forum account here yet, you could PM him to ask.

Thanks, but I believe these programs are already set like that; will re-check to make certain. It is just a single extra prompt; fine for Utility and less used programs, but a little more annoying with games and commonly used materials.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:09 am

After thinking about it, I realized that I'd given a haphazard response earlier, as I've been doing five things all at once this morning. Sorry about that.

I was really asking what the shortcut does and says that you have to step through, wondering if you could tell if it was a User permissions issue (your user account doesn't have Administrator privileges) or a general security issue that it would even give an Administrator user.

Generally, programs are installed, run, and edited on Win7 with this new excessively high security. I've recently encountered this with trying to edit the Hosts file. You will need to have the ability to Run a function as Administrator in order to change the security settings for the program to run. The place to look for changing that setting is either at the shortcut to the exe, at the exe file itself, or there is a list with programs and their security allowances. I'd poke around with the shortcut to the exe first.

I wish I had more time to study this and figure it out for you, but since no one else had answered you yet, I'm really just pointing you to a path to investigate.
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Next inquiries are based off of an older question:

My new drivers required a new resolution for the desktop (1920 x 1080), and my visit yesterday had to be done in Windows mode as the GUI vanishes again. While possible to get around for small things, this makes continuing play very problematic.

Should I resize my Desktop again? Will this hurt other setting for other settings? And has anyone here experienced this trouble with Win 7? Thanks
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Let me get this straight. I need to have a little more explanation about your problem(s).

You updated your video card driver? What do you mean your "drivers" require you to have your desktop resolution at 1920x1080, if you imply that you have the option to change that?

And you mean that your IG GUI vanishes in NWN if you don't have the game in Windowed mode?

In the meantime, btw, I have a 1920x1080 desktop but always play NWN in windowed mode at 1600x900. Still lots of room to manoeuver. Set in my nwn.ini like this:

[Display Options]
FullScreen=0
AllowWindowedMode=1
Width=1600
Height=900
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Ramana Jala wrote:Let me get this straight. I need to have a little more explanation about your problem(s).

You updated your video card driver? What do you mean your "drivers" require you to have your desktop resolution at 1920x1080, if you imply that you have the option to change that?

And you mean that your IG GUI vanishes in NWN if you don't have the game in Windowed mode?

In the meantime, btw, I have a 1920x1080 desktop but always play NWN in windowed mode at 1600x900. Still lots of room to manoeuver. Set in my nwn.ini like this:

[Display Options]
FullScreen=0
AllowWindowedMode=1
Width=1600
Height=900

Thanks.

That size only uses about 1/3 of my screen; 1360 x 768 seems to almost fill it, and if I add the improved font option, I can read the text well enough. This should work.

is the Full Screen = 0 important? I am getting it in Window mode with 1 for both (using Alt/ Enter).
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Basically all "Full Screen" is doing, is deciding whether you start your game in full mode or in windowed mode.
If you have it set to default (1), it starts up running in full mode. If you sets it to "Full Screen=0", it'll start up in windowed mode. Smile
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : CĂ©lestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:15 pm

Angel of Death wrote:Basically all "Full Screen" is doing, is deciding whether you start your game in full mode or in windowed mode.
If you have it set to default (1), it starts up running in full mode. If you sets it to "Full Screen=0", it'll start up in windowed mode. Smile

Thanks; good to know!
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down