Details, details...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Details, details...

Post by The Amethyst Dragon on Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:20 pm

There are times I think I may pay a little too much attention to details. Take last night, for instance...

I'm working a small new swamp area, which will be located deep within the orcish empire. Cutting through the middle of the area is a river, which PCs can't walk through. I had the idea of PCs being able to use a vine hanging between two trees to climb across. Easy enough...I can make models for NWN, so when I really want something I can make it. Figured I'd start with a rope, since there will be more uses for that, then I'd just retexture it to make a thick vine.

So, I needed to start with a texture for the rope. I searched through the NWN resources and hak resources on my HD, and finally came across one that might do. I put it on my rope and...nope. Since the rope section is rather long (5 meters), the texture gets stretched like crazy and just looks like streaked brown. So I ended up spending way too long messing with that rope texture, using the original to make one 32 times as long (so the ridges int the rope will look better), since the original texture also had some too-regular streaks that made the final rope look like it had two seams running the entire length.

I did finally finish it though, then whipped up a much quicker vine texture, so now the models are made and I'm just waiting for the toolset to load the area so I can go back to what I was working on.

I also made a new placeable model just as a building aid...an extremely long straight line (appearance is called " Aid: Straight Line Guide"), to make it easier to line up things like these ropes & vines and things like fences and walls. Once I get the updated hak out to everyone (before I open the new area, so very soon), you'll be able to use it in the player build module for your own houses or whatever.

The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7788
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 7:00 (Arizona)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

View user profile http://www.amethyst-dragon.com/nwn

Back to top Go down

Re: Details, details...

Post by Elhanan on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:13 pm

Sounds innovative. And if you wish to add to the implentations already in game, allow the same effect for those using Rope & Grapple in like locations.

Last edited by Elhanan on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1729
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. :
Registration date : 2009-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:43 pm

I'll be looking forward to checking out the new area! cheers

Oh and, there's no such thing as "too detailed" when it comes to area creation! Wink At least not in my book. . . Exclamation
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1131
Main Character : CÚlestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Elhanan wrote:Sounds inovative. And if you wish to add to the implentations already in game, allow the same effect for those using Rope & Grapple in like locations.
It's really just a basic climb skill point. The vine is a set of static placeables (a couple of downward curving vines with straight horizontal pieces in the midde so that I can place them across various sized gaps).

As far as expanding on the rope and grapple hook's functions...maybe. I'll have to see if it's feasible to have it do something to connect various points that way. If it works out, that could be a reason to create a new "rope" beam effect (since virusman opened up the possibility of adding new ones with a more recent version of NWNCX).

Angel of Death wrote:I'll be looking forward to checking out the new area!
A clue to what you'll find in that area (once it's complete and added to the gameworld) is it's name, Grikkpa Poldomir. The orcs often name things quite accurately.

The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:19 am

The Amethyst Dragon wrote:
Angel of Death wrote:I'll be looking forward to checking out the new area!
A clue to what you'll find in that area (once it's complete and added to the gameworld) is it's name, Grikkpa Poldomir. The orcs often name things quite accurately.

So. . .Troll Vegetation...or something? (Don't really know what the 'poldomir' translates too...but seems awful close to the orcish word for vegetation/plant).
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Main Character : CÚlestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:25 am

Poldomir; roughly translates to "plant-filled-water" or "swamp" .... ...

a merging of Polt "vegetation" and Domir "water"...
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2262
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. :
Registration date : 2008-07-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:22 am

Aha, so I was right then...at least 95,5%! Razz

I even bothered myself to look up that orc language thread...but still, seem to have missed the water word.

Other races would likely call it a Troll Swamp Monster, then I guess. If they should translate it from orcish...
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:32 am

The more technical term is Yechhi.... scratch
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1729
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. :
Registration date : 2009-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 am

Angel of Death wrote:Aha, so I was right then...at least 95,5%! Razz

I even bothered myself to look up that orc language thread...but still, seem to have missed the water word.

Other races would likely call it a Troll Swamp Monster, then I guess. If they should translate it from orcish...
Just "troll swamp". Razz

The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Meh. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Angel of Death on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:17 pm

It's not a monster... it's a new area discovered and named by the orcs.... maybe this is where ye is getting confused ?
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2262
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. :
Registration date : 2008-07-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:40 am

Oh! Oops, sorry. Embarassed

I was kinda tired yesterday, today too for that matter, but that's an entirely different topic ...anyway; I just skimmed the thread before replying, and somehow ended up reading The Amethyst Dragon's post as given an insight into what creature(s) we would be able to encounter in the area. Somehow even had imagined it to be a new troll variant; a bigger, meaner version of the standard green troll which the orcs bred for warfare (much alike those big worgs at a certain castle!). silent

Now it makes sense though! Smile
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top