Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions regarding learning spells from a new player

5 posters

Go down

Questions regarding learning spells from a new player Empty Questions regarding learning spells from a new player

Post by Spectrence Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:02 pm

Hello all, new player here, game name Spectrence and my current avatar is a gnome wizard by the name of Clockwerk Felsprocket (don't even ask heh)

My question is regards to all the fancy custom spells. I apologize if it's been addressed before, the search I ran was unable to find anything. I remember once...years and years ago I had downloaded the then-current cep1 and dumped it's custom content (bonus spells included) into my override folder. I then set out to make a wizard and taught him every available spell...'cause I'm weird like that. Anyways there was an issue there, where once my character had learned 255 spells I was unable to log him in without the game crashing. Found out shortly later the reasons for it, so I cleaned out the override folder and killed that character off.

Jump to now, years later, new pc, relatively clean override folder etc etc. My main question is this: with all the fancy custom spells I can learn on level up and from purchased scrolls...does that 255 crash still exist? Or should be I more careful in the what I choose to teach to my little gnome dude?

Spectrence
Spectrence
Commoner
Commoner

Male Number of posts : 8
Main Character : Clockwerk Felsprocket
Other Character : Nivaren Spectrent, Melchior Eidos
NWN Username : Spectrence
Registration date : 2013-02-07

Back to top Go down

Questions regarding learning spells from a new player Empty Re: Questions regarding learning spells from a new player

Post by Elhanan Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Techless One here. Welcome to Aenea!

Have no encounter with any limit myself, and I have a couple of Bright Gmome Wizards here. But I would wait for Dave to respond, as he is a Techie, as well as an Archmage with his main toon. AFAIK, none of the spells are overides.

And to get to Dave's lvl of expertise, I recommend a starting Wizard for spell book efficiency and upkeep.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Questions regarding learning spells from a new player Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Questions regarding learning spells from a new player Empty Re: Questions regarding learning spells from a new player

Post by Ramana Jala Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:18 pm

Rusty Dios has a character, Grace, who likely knows all Wizard and Cleric spells, and that's the most spells I know of one character possessing. So that at least confirms that if you take all the spells available in Aenea for two classes, that works. And I don't know how you'd be able to fit all the spells of a third class in, like Druid, since most spellcaster classes have to have about 17 levels to learn all spells. And of course, you can only learn spells from scrolls that your class(es) are eligible for.

And I'm not real sure what you mean about previously you were able to obtain more spells from CEP overrides, in order to get up to 255 spells. You won't be able to legally obtain more spells than are available to the classes here, and I'd be fairly sure that if you tried to put something in the Override folder to try to finagle that, you'd be breaking your game (no matter if you'd reached 255 spells or not).
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrence Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:28 pm

No no, it wasn't something game breaking. I know how to use the override folder safely Wink It was basically the same thing as adding the custom spells via a hak, but also making it accessible across any module for single player. The problem was due to the class learning over the magical 255 max number.

At any rate, if anyone is curious, I did get the answer to my question. The last patch nwn had (1.69) fixed the whole 255spell crash issue. In my defense, I did say it was an issue that happened years ago Smile

edit for a bit of clarity: in my previous issue, it was all wizard spells. Not mixing other class spells into one class.
Spectrence
Spectrence
Commoner
Commoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Micteu Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm wondering how those custom spells functioned without any scripts to go with them. Unless they used existing scripts for other spells or spell-like effects. If you drop a .nss file in the override directory, can it be used?
Micteu
Micteu
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Male Number of posts : 50
Main Character : Don Enders
Other Character : Mack Gardenkin
Other Character. : Alan Milne
NWN Username : Micteu
Time Zone : GMT - 6
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrence Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:34 pm

It was a long time ago, I don't remember all of them. I know some were mere copies of current spells with different elements (like the acid arrow done in frost, fire, etc etc) and others were completely new (teleport-to-pointer spells, along with one interesting "boomerang" porting spell. Cast once to move to location, cast again to move back.) That's about all I can remember.

Actually, know that I think about it, it may have not been a cep override, but the prc one. Whatever, it was a long time ago. Either way the point was there was a ton of arcane spells added to the point where it would crash the player on loading in if they felt the need to learn them all hehe.

I'm just glad to know I can safely here use up all my gold buying various scrolls off vendors Smile
Spectrence
Spectrence
Commoner
Commoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:15 am

You will find items in the game, notably staves for wizards, that can alter current spells by substituting a different element, and we have a transference spell where you teleport to where you point within sight.

I think there's a lot of scripting here on the server side, and so I'd venture that one can't really alter this PW like one might be able to globally alter the modules which one plays solo offline on one's computer.

Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:49 am

Ramana Jala wrote:Rusty Dios has a character, Grace, who likely knows all Wizard and Cleric spells,

Indeed in (one) more level she will be at lev40 (cleric18/wizzi22) again (re-incarnated). She will know all cleric and wizzi spells through all levels 0-9. She has never reached any limit or had any obstructions in doing this.

Spend your money in the shops if you want, however if you ever catch me (with any of my PC's) online, I'll happily get Grace to scribe you any scroll you could want.
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : Questions regarding learning spells from a new player Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrence Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:11 pm

Ramana Jala wrote:I think there's a lot of scripting here on the server side, and so I'd venture that one can't really alter this PW like one might be able to globally alter the modules which one plays solo offline on one's computer.

Yes yes, I know, It wasn't about altering gameplay here, merely paranoid about breaking the character if I went on a scroll-learning spree Laughing Just glad to know no such issue exists.

And thanks for the offer RustyDios, although that may be a ways off for me, my little gnome is only up to the fourth spell level I think Very Happy

Spectrence
Spectrence
Commoner
Commoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down