Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tradeskill Crafting with Components/Ingredients

5 posters

Go down

Which tradeskill crafting method would you prefer?

Tradeskill Crafting with Components/Ingredients Vote_lcap60%Tradeskill Crafting with Components/Ingredients Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 3 ]
Tradeskill Crafting with Components/Ingredients Vote_lcap40%Tradeskill Crafting with Components/Ingredients Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 5

Poll closed

Tradeskill Crafting with Components/Ingredients Empty Tradeskill Crafting with Components/Ingredients

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:48 am

I'm in the process of updating and adding to the tradeskills in Aenea. I've come to a fork in the road to my update though on the method to go with, so I want to see which direction the playerbase would prefer.

3 DAY POLL

Keep in mind that this refers only to the creating of items that use various components or recipes.

Method 1: VC Commands

The first possible method is the one currently used, where the system is based largely on VC commands. Each desired item would have a certain list of required components (1 or more)...if the right VC command is used, the goal item is set, PC uses a certain placeable (like an anvil), the PC's inventory is checked or the components, stuff is used up, a skill check is made, and if successful, the item is created.

In some cases, this requires being in a workshop, in others work could be done anywhere.

Advantages:
- quick entry of final crafting goal if command is known
- no extra inventory required beyond needed components

Disadvantages:
- player must keep track of proper VC commands for each possible item to be crafted
- player must keep track of required component(s) for each possible item to be crafted

Method 2: Pattern Crafting

This second method would be new to Aenea. Each desired final product would be stored as a 1-square "pattern" item in the PC's inventory. This item would contain the name of the final product, and a description listing what component(s) would be needed (and in which order). Crafting would entail opening a proper workbench/forge/alchemist bench/etc., and dropping the pattern into the placeable followed by the required components in order. Components would get used up, a skill check made, and the pattern and resulting item (or salvageable components) would be shifted back to the PC's inventory automatically.

One new VC command would be added for this: ;;tool copy - use on Selected pattern/recipe to create a copy for someone else.

Patterns (and likely "pattern book" containers) would be available from several shops in-game for 1 gp each.

Advantages:
- no need to keep track of VC commands out of game
- no need to keep track of components needed out of game
- drag and drop crafting

Disadvantages:
- inventory usage: - each (weightless) pattern item would take up 1 square of inventory
- drag and drop can be slower than VC commands
- messing up order of component/ingredient adding would require starting over

Requirements of being in a workshop would not be changed for things like weapons, armor, jewelry, or anything else where lots of specialized equipment would be needed for crafting.

So...which method would you prefer as a player? Cast your vote in the poll! And thanks!

Note: While this poll is really about crafting of non-magical objects with tradeskills, the 2nd method could be adapted for enchanting miscellaneous magical items (like boots, cloaks, helms, books, etc. - not scrolls, wands, or potions which now use selectable caster levels). That sort of thing would come after the tradeskill work.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Tradeskill Crafting with Components/Ingredients Empty Re: Tradeskill Crafting with Components/Ingredients

Post by Elhanan Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:37 am

As one that is Techless, I am already having troubles with all the VC entries. So in this case, I believe I will vote for pattern crafting.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Tradeskill Crafting with Components/Ingredients Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Tradeskill Crafting with Components/Ingredients Empty Re: Tradeskill Crafting with Components/Ingredients

Post by MannyJabrielle Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:10 am

I like the pros of both.

I would say method 1 with the VC commands, if there was a readily available guide book with the commands for sale at crafting supply merchants, much like the new enchanting guide books.

A guide book would provide the same easy to use reference the multiple pattern items would, but allow for the versatility of the VC system as well. And for me at least... having an inventory reference item helps me keep track of all the VC commands for the task at hand in a way the 'help' commands of the VC system don't.

Not only is it easy to have all the commands in one spot, but having the item helps me remember they're there in the first place (like how the other day I finally remembered my AA could craft special arrows with VC commands... but only because I came across the reference while searching the forums for something, not because there was something in-game to remind me "Hey, you can do this neat stuff!"

If the final decision is for the VC system, I'd gladly do up more guide books to go along with the system Smile
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:19 am

I like the advantages of both...

I already play in windowed mode, and got a browser running in the background whenever I play anyway. So looking up a recipe doesn't really bother me all that much...
Voted for VC commands because I didn't really like the second solution which took up inventory space...it weighted slightly heavier on the scales. Razz

But if votes stay as they are now, my lone vote won't really matter much. Laughing

Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : CĂ©lestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:29 am

I've gone for the VC commands route... It seems much more adaptable and flexible then an item based system.

However the commands need to be easily remembered and make sense to the task at hand... and I will also advocate that a book/item needs to be in-game as a reference/ reminder*... or just to let new people that may not have browsed the forums (or dived into the VC help lists/ read the PC cyrstal) to know the option exists...

--------------

I'd like the item/inventory/pattern system if the limit of items was kept in "35 chunk blocks"... ie a bag/container has 35 squares, it would be good to be able to separate the items into say three types of bags; master recipes, ingredient A, ingredient B... where a combination of recipe +A +B = wanted item.... however with that system as a guide you'd need to get your ingredients out of your bags to put into an "object holder" as you can only have one container open at a time (unless the container was an "echest style henchman thingi").... .....I'd also advocate that each recipe/ingredient item needs to be stackable and only a 1sq inv item ...

------------

Also, if you type an incorrect VC command nothing happens**... no loss of stuff, rare materials, gold, xp etc... if you mess up an order, you loose everything to that point... that seems like it could be a right pain..... ..

There are loads of pro's and con's with both systems.. to be truly honest I think either one will work exceptionally well for one simple reason; If it's designed by The Amethyst Dragon you can guarantee that alot of time and effort has gone into making sure it works right !

* This is why my player houses both have sections where the VC commands where copied into the descriptions boxes for various items - I needed an in-game reference/ reminder of what they are... (yes I know they're outdated now - which IS a flaw of this particular system/idea)....

**maybe this should be changed so that typing ";; xxx anything that is not a recognised command xxx" gives some feedback that the command you typed was not recognised ?
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : Tradeskill Crafting with Components/Ingredients Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks for the votes and thoughts.

Voting ended in favor of going with VC commands (with some guides for information) running the stuff, so that's what I'll script for.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down