Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oct. 15, 2013: Item Appearance Modification Update

3 posters

Go down

Oct. 15, 2013: Item Appearance Modification Update Empty Oct. 15, 2013: Item Appearance Modification Update

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:01 am

I've been working for a while on an update to "appearance crafting" of different types of items.  All of the new system is coded, it's just waiting on me testing the last parts in-game.

The idea with this new system is to have visible examples in-game which are used for picking a new look, then using a special work table and a single, simple VC command to execute the change.  The goal is to get rid of cycling through multiple models of different types in the same place (and waiting so see what each looks like after each change, switching to just a quick browse and pick), and to make changing simple items (such as rings) not rely on an external source for picking the looks.  The toolset also has a hardcoded limitation on which "colors" can be used in scripting (for things like weapons and shields), and this system changes that for shields.

This update will not affect altering armor (there's the self-service seamstress shops for that) or weapons (there's just to many thousands of models and part combinations to devote the time to making selectable examples for everything).

This will end up removing the modification of cloaks and shields from the main workshop in Bluebeard's tower.  PCs will instead go down a nearby set of stairs to go into Bluebeard's "underbasement" for the new stuff.

In various levels under the tower, PCs will end up finding chambers with a work table (which lists the cost of making changes in that room) and either a collection of visible item examples (for shields, cloaks, and helmets) or special coppery golems that have the example items in their inventories (amulets, belts, bracers, gloves, rings...they should open their inventory for you).

Using the Select tool/feat on the desired appearance example item picks the desired new appearance.  The PC then goes to the work table that's in the same room, puts in the item to be changed and the required amount of gold, then uses the VC command ;;craft design.

When the command is entered, the PC will do an appropriate tradeskill check.  If it's successful, the original item will be replaced with a copy with the new appearance.  If unsuccessful, nothing will happen to the item and the PC will get back the amount of gold that was required for that item type (losing out only on the time used to make the attempt).  Items that are visible (cloaks, helmets, shields) will be both more expensive to alter and more difficult to alter.

Tradeskills used:
amulet: jewelrymaking
belt: leatherworking
bracer: leatherworking
cloak: tailoring
glove: leatherworking
helmet: armorsmithing
shield: armorsmithing
ring: jewelrymaking

Armorsmithing and jewelrymaking aren't "complete" skills yet, so PCs will be considered to have a +0% bonus to the d100 roll in this, but...
- armorsmithing checks benefit from ranks in Craft Armor (so 5 skill ranks = +5% armorsmithing tradeskill bonus) and
- jewelrymaking checks benefit from gemcutting (gemcutting / 5 --> bonus for jewelrymaking, and vice versa)

I've got this tested for shields, and it's working perfectly.  I've got everything laid out for all the other item types I'm changing, but I will need a while to test all of that.  This will either go live sometime in the next two days...or next week after I get done with a weekend-eating family obligation.

Last edited by The Amethyst Dragon on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Oct. 15, 2013: Item Appearance Modification Update Empty Re: Oct. 15, 2013: Item Appearance Modification Update

Post by Eric of Atrophy Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:21 pm

I can't say how excited I am for this ... just can't wait to get good interwebs back so I can partake of the goodness ...
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Oct. 15, 2013: Item Appearance Modification Update Empty Re: Oct. 15, 2013: Item Appearance Modification Update

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:45 am

After a delay while I dealt with a minor issue in this (it was refusing to copy over descriptions for shields, helms, and cloaks) and some illness (still recovering), these changes are finally live.

You can find the stairs leading down to the item example / crafting rooms just before the doorway to the workshop in Bluebeard's Tower.  There's a door, and a mapnote for them.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:12 am

I simply cannot wait to get back in-game and try these out! Thanks for this, The Amethyst Dragon!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:55 am

Soooo, I'm curious ... has anyone had a chance to go in-game and try this out? If so, how does it work?
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:46 am

Eric of Atrophy wrote:Soooo, I'm curious ... has anyone had a chance to go in-game and try this out?  If so, how does it work?
Not yet, haven't played NWN for a couple months now. Been absorbed in other games beside RL stuff going on. :V

I'll be looking forward to check it out sometime soon, though--looks awesome! Very Happy
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : Célestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down