Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Orc suggestion: The Common Soldiers

2 posters

Go down

Another Orc suggestion: The Common Soldiers Empty Another Orc suggestion: The Common Soldiers

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:18 pm

I love that the orc areas have orcs.... LOTS of orcs.

However, the one problem is.... graphical lag.  The current orc soldiers are 'dynamic' models (like PCs) rather than single model appearance (such as ice giants, spiders, pretty much 99% of the creature appearances).

On lower end systems, this can cause graphical lag. I would even get this on my last laptop which could run NWN at high resolution, full detail, shadows, the works.... Enter the tesh portal room, get the mob to spawn.... stutter, stutter.

The game simply has a hard time rending ALL those orcs with their multi part armors, their head models, plus their weapons, their shields, the arrows and the arrows' acid VFXs, ect, all at the same time.

I get the same thing with other areas with lots of dynamic NPCs, such as Macedone's or tradeholm's open markets... lots of dynamic NPCs "in sight" on top of all the placeables and such. It sucks in the towns, but it's a minor nuisance there.

It's problematic with the orcs because.... well, they want to kill Razz

My suggestion... give them a non-dynamic appearance.

I know it would be a bit of work to put together all those separate model parts into a single model, get the animations worked in.... BUT, it would be really great on the player end.  Huge mobs are fun!  Non dynamic orc models would let them still be fun, and remove all the extra work our clients have to do rendering 20 to 22 separate models per npc.

The more "unqiue" orcs like destroyers, blood witches, ect, don't really need a non-dynamic model... just the mobs, the ones you'll have 10 or more of on screen at once.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Another Orc suggestion: The Common Soldiers Empty Re: Another Orc suggestion: The Common Soldiers

Post by Ramana Jala Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:50 pm

I'll second this, as I still play NWN on a 12 years old XP system.  Anything to reduce lag when crowds form, I need it.

Didn't realize that most orcs, even the lowly grunts, were 'dynamic' models with multi-part variables.

I'd wager that that fortress defense with the unending orc swarm idea from another thread probably won't even work with these dynamic NPCs.
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

Another Orc suggestion: The Common Soldiers Empty Re: Another Orc suggestion: The Common Soldiers

Post by MannyJabrielle Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:12 pm

It would.... but low-end PCs like ours would join the dead very quickly Laughing

Single model orcs would be much better.... I know my computer has no problem with say, 30 zombies or 20 ice giants and however many of their dragon/polarbear/ice troll buddies on the screen at once.... 10 or more dynamics though.... Sad
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down