When did the Vault become a lich?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When did the Vault become a lich?

Post by Eric of Atrophy on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:05 pm

So, just out of random curiosity, I clicked on the IGN vault bookmark (kept for sentimental reasons, of course), and the wiki there tells us that the Vault is undergoing maintenance and will be back with us shortly. I have mixed feelings about this, as I am finally starting to think of Rolo's Vault as *The* Vault. Part of me wishes that the IGN one would just stay offline. I dunno, yo, time will tell ...
Eric of Atrophy
Seriously Epic Level
Seriously Epic Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 3798
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 04:00 EST
Registration date : 2008-06-06

View user profile http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Re: When did the Vault become a lich?

Post by MannyJabrielle on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:33 pm

The old vault spazzed out and died something like two weeks ago now.

You can still access it by editing your host files, however, you can just view the pages, but can't download anything.

There are backups of the old vault, but only up to last july I believe.  Stuff is getting migrated over slowly, as it can be found.  I know your hole and rope script system made it over already Wink
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5928
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When did the Vault become a lich?

Post by The Amethyst Dragon on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:57 am

This old Vault issue is a pain in the butt for anyone that needs to access the downloads.  For example, a local amethyst-scaled wyrm that was slowly working his way through a list of content to add to the upcoming CEP update.  Rolling Eyes 

Rolo Kipp is actually going to physically send me his external hard drive with all of the files he's got (as of last July).  He only has net access via his local Starbucks hotspot, so things are slow going for him.  I have a rather fast cable connection, so I'm going to upload the files to the new Vault's FTP server so that community members can then access the content and help migrate old Vault content over to the new Vault.

Years ago, when I first started building Aenea, I was working on just a dial up connection (after once having a cable connection in a previous apartment...it was almost painful). I would find things I wanted from the Vault and start the downloads at night, go to bed, and have the content in the morning when I got up.  I think I'll be doing the reverse, start uploading, go to bed, then check progress in the morning. Razz  Rolo said the content is over 400 GB, so a stable cable upload should be much faster than what he can accomplish on his own.

I wish the old Vault was more like a lich. At least a lich can still cast spells.  A Vault site without files to download is basically just a skeleton of a wizard that can't use magic anymore.

The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7790
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 7:00 (Arizona)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

View user profile http://www.amethyst-dragon.com/nwn

Back to top Go down