Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portrait Issues (split from another thread)

3 posters

Go down

Portrait Issues (split from another thread) Empty Portrait Issues (split from another thread)

Post by Angel of Death Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:46 am

Suck is ...finding a handful of portraits which hasn't been converted the right way by the one who had converted it and now need to go through the entire folder to find out why the portrait screen on creating a character is crashing the game. Siiiiiiiigh.

I have been steadily going through a portrait folder of 20k files for a few days now (working on it on and off) and already removed 2k+ which either had turned up the wrong way or otherwise didn't have the needed white space at the bottom. Think I might be done with it after tonight...but who knows what will go wrong. (::

Good News: Found the portrait pack which are most likely the only culprit...
Bad News: It's not a consistent bug in the PP ... I still need to wade through the entire package, opening up all five tgas of each portrait and check to see whether they're correctly converted or bugged. Sad
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : Célestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Portrait Issues (split from another thread) Empty Re: Portrait Issues (split from another thread)

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 pm

White space isn't really an issue.  You can use the whitespace to tag portraits with a name or whatnot.

What is causing the offending portrait to crash your system is the file is not saved with the correct compression or bitrate.

You can cut your search down by just examining one size category of the portraits, such as the _h size.  A good chance that when you find a huge size saved incorrectly, the other size categories of portrait will more than likely be incorrectly saved as well.

You could also quicken your search by previewing the portraits in-game.  You could do so in Aenea with the ;;tool portrait command, or in a single player module using Kamiryn's CCOH (although you will need to edit the ccoh's custom portrait's 2da first to include all your custom portraits.

When you come to a bad portrait in game, the image will be totally distorted.  It shouldn't crash your client as it does when getting to the portrait selection screen at character-generation.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Portrait Issues (split from another thread) Empty Re: Portrait Issues (split from another thread)

Post by Angel of Death Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:48 pm

MannyJabrielle wrote:White space isn't really an issue.  You can use the whitespace to tag portraits with a name or whatnot.

What is causing the offending portrait to crash your system is the file is not saved with the correct compression or bitrate.

You can cut your search down by just examining one size category of the portraits, such as the _h size.  A good chance that when you find a huge size saved incorrectly, the other size categories of portrait will more than likely be incorrectly saved as well.

Ah, didn't knew that...white space isn't needed?

Is 385 KB the correct file size for the largest (H) portrait? I noticed, when I split up the portrait folder to list by size, it's the most common one. Got a few files larger than that, though. One H file is 1465 KB, another, MPortrait2_H, is 819 KB... Surprised *Removes the two to see if the portrait character screen will load without crashing after that*
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Main Character : Célestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:12 pm

No, don't need the white space to be white.  I've used the white-space section for putting credits into the portrait itself (such as with my "Audrey" portrait out of my one aenea pack.  Wycked tagged his/her portraits in that space as well.

Size... the sizes should be relatively uniform, but can still vary widely.  In my folder, for the _H category, I have a number at 513kb, a majority at 385kb, and one as low as 222kb.  The difference in size comes from the image itself.  My 222kb portrait is a very dark one with a majority of pixels pure black.  Several of my 513kb ones are very colorful and/or complex images.

Your one there at over a meg.... that sounds a little off however, so I would check that one manually in your image editor of choice.

The most likely problem is that the offending file has been saved compressed.  Portraits have to be *uncompressed* tgas, saved at 24-bit.

I am not sure if saving at a higher bit rate would cause crashes, but compressed tgas definitely will.

If you can't preview the compression and bit-rate, a tedious, but easy method to fix your portraits is simply to open them up in your image editor, and resave them at the correct settings.

I'm not sure what image program you use, but most should allow you to save a file type with a given set of save options repeatedly without having to reset the compression and bit rate on each individual file.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:31 pm

MannyJabrielle wrote:No, don't need the white space to be white.  I've used the white-space section for putting credits into the portrait itself (such as with my "Audrey" portrait out of my one aenea pack.  Wycked tagged his/her portraits in that space as well.

Ahh, when I said there was no white space--I meant, the portrait filled out the entire portrait. No extra space at the bottom, my question was if it wasn't necessary to have that extra space since AFAIK it is needed. ^^'

Example of what I mean to clarify:
Portrait Issues (split from another thread) Rdgnpo10

Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:49 pm

The unused space is needed.  The dimensions for the portraits must be at a 2:1 ratio.

It doesn't matter however as to what is IN that extra space at the bottom, so your picture there should be alright... as long as it's at the proper 2:1 resolution (256x512, 128x256, 64x128, 32x64, 16x32)
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:00 pm

MannyJabrielle wrote:The unused space is needed.  The dimensions for the portraits must be at a 2:1 ratio.

It doesn't matter however as to what is IN that extra space at the bottom, so your picture there should be alright... as long as it's at the proper 2:1 resolution (256x512, 128x256, 64x128, 32x64, 16x32)

Ah, I see. Well, it is that. I did however find two orc portraits just now which hasn't the proper format. Still more culprits to be found though...*Dives into portrait folder and PS CS4 again*

Why does people not upload portraits in the correct format to begin with? :V
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Portrait Issues (split from another thread) Empty Portrait Issues

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:32 pm

Angel of Death wrote:

Why does people not upload portraits in the correct format to begin with? :V
Mistakes happen Wink  Especially with larger portrait packs.  I've made that goof myself.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:58 pm

Useful Link: Custom Portraits Guide from neverwinternights.info

As far as some of your images having larger file sizes, it's not from variety of colors.  Those larger files are saved as 32-bit files (rather than the normal 24-bit ones)...they have a useless alpha channel that's just taking up hard drive and download space.

The guide I linked to above gives the exact dimensions needed as far as what's displayed by the game and what isn't. The bottom doesn't have to be white space, it just isn't shown in-game or in the toolset.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down