Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I hate computers sometimes.

3 posters

Go down

I hate computers sometimes. Empty I hate computers sometimes.

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:15 pm

The game was supposed to be down for only a 1/2 hour, but my maintenance took 2 hours. My apologies.

Video card fan (at -9 hitpoints and not stabilized)...replacement didn't really fit, so I improvised, keeping the old heat sink. Of course, the new fan used a 3-pin power connection, while the old one used a 2-pin connection...enter my amateur wiring skills and the video card has a new fan.

Noisy old CPU fan...replacement fan/heatsink didn't fit with the 5 1/2 year old processor/motherboard. Ended up giving the old one a very thorough cleaning (and some new thermal paste stuff) and plan to do some research online to find one that will fit properly.

Dusting...when you run out of handy "canned air" stuff and forget to buy it for a month or so, things get mighty dusty in there. You know it's bad when you have to wait for the liquid inside to rebuild pressure three times before you're done. Razz
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

I hate computers sometimes. Empty Re: I hate computers sometimes.

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:39 pm

Reminds me of when I did a refurbish I did on a computer I once had. eMachine with funky sized everything. Couldn't find any fans to fit properly....

Ended up slicing up an oil funnel, and fastening it to the fan with superglue, and attached the smaller end of the funnel to the old fan casing with a few strands of sturdy wire.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:40 am

i try my best to avoid getting into the guts of my machine as I have had all sorts of tomfoolery ensue whenever i open the case. Things like cards and even processors getting loose (even though the machine was not jostled in the slightest) causing random crashes and blue screens until I go back and reseat every single thing on the board, RAM suddenly requiring me to up the voltage by .5 volts in order to run stable for no apparent reason whatsoever (was working fine for a month before i opened the case), and of course the late and great favorite of the hard drive failing completely after I went in and moved it to the rail right above the one it was on (while being extremely careful to avoid ESD).

I am good with PC hardware, but it seems to hate me, so I dread opening up my machine.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : I hate computers sometimes. Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down