Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Oi! That's my XP!'

Go down

'Oi! That's my XP!' Empty 'Oi! That's my XP!'

Post by Amethyst347 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:05 pm

Not wishing to re-open the can of worms from yesterday, but I've got to thinking about a situation that I sometimes find myself in and wondered what the general opinion was.

So my PC is traveling along the road somewhere, and she comes across another PC hacking away at a group of goblins or whatever. Now, my PC brain thinks, "I should go help them!" but my real life brain is thinking, "They might get pissed if I steal their kills/XP." One can't really send a party invite during the heat of battle, and usually I tend to err on the side of caution and just pass the other PC by, but then I'm left thinking I might have missed an opportunity to roleplay and/or party up with someone/make a new friend, etc.

So... thoughts? What do others tend to do in these situations?
Amethyst347
Amethyst347
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Female Number of posts : 413
Main Character : I kinda play them all in random bursts.
Other Character : Loneka Darkstar, S'szephyr, Wren Llewelyn, Zadie Grimfallow
NWN Username : amethyst347
Time Zone : GMT
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

'Oi! That's my XP!' Empty Re: 'Oi! That's my XP!'

Post by RustyDios on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:25 pm

Even mid-battle... party invite * .. help out... share the xp and loot fairly (even using the splitter tool if needed).. deal with the consequences IC or OOC afterwards.... leave peacefully....

The main point is to remain friendly and curteous.. an easy way to show friendlyness in a "come-cross-this-battle-midway-through" and decided to help out is to hang back if your cautious and then spring in at the end to help heal up (use of a few healing kits is always a good ice-breaker**).. then start the RP, ask where they are heading, state where you want to go, see if your routes collide.. if they do think about levels and partying up.. if they don't go your seperate ways.... ....

* if the player rejects your invite ask why?.. if they're already in a party you'll get a message bout it.. then it's time to send a tell / //ooc shout .... ..

** providing thier not Vampires !!
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : 'Oi! That's my XP!' Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:42 pm

I say if ya see any of my pc's in game and ya wanna party up for a bit, go ahead and send the invite even if I happen to be in a fight, if ya wanna hang back and wait, that's all good as well. If by chance ya see me getting my backside handed to me, I'd gladly accept the help. 'Oi! That's my XP!' Icon_smile
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1119
Main Character : Sir Rayvensclaw Nightkind Leader of the Clan of Night
Paladin/Champion of Dalix/Wizard
NWN Username : Rayven Nightkind
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:59 pm

I also tend to err towards the sit back and watch side of this fence. Mainly because I've played in servers and on other games where people become absolutely livid because you helped them out in a fight (Or helped them from your viewpoint)

I know that I've seen people kill things that I'm currently engaged with that I *can* kill but it takes me a while, and that I find it annoying, so I try to give the same courtesy.

I would however always accept non-damaging help such as buffs, healing etc. I think that's quite possibly the safest course of action.

The only exception to the above would be if the enemy comes after you, at which point one should have every right to defend themselves.
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1217
Main Character : Aseph, the NOT old sorcerer
Other Character : Analo, professional Dracolich (and other undead) hunter
Other Character. : Sivoran, the PC Demilich
Other Character.. : Imyna, Drow Priestess of Sorgath
NWN Username : evilkittenofdoom
Time Zone : EST (GMT-5)
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Alundaio on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:15 pm

I usually wait till the person finishes unless they really do need help. I'll send an invite if I plan on grinding in the same place. If they don't accept I try to avoid running into them or stealing their spawns. Most of the time I get invited by the person grinding though. So I myself never encountered any problems.
Alundaio
Alundaio
Aenean Scholar
Aenean Scholar

Male Number of posts : 372
Main Character : Alundaio
Time Zone : GMT-04:00 (EST)
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:21 pm

what's the problem with teaming up when more than one faction want to grind the same area? you don't have to like each other to accept that everyone should have the right to grind wherever and whenever they want. the issue at hand is not about questing/exploration, we re talking about mindless beholderbashing. the tunnels are crowded day and night anyway. if i see someone there i would still go there (if i'm into grinding that day). meet, invite, kill faster together.

there will allways be one spawn where two groups meet, that one doesn't count, really. who cares.
after that i'd say team up or work out a solution. but don't just be rude to anyone. no matter if you like them IC or OOC. you could; no you should team up (that includes sending invites as well as accepting them) even if you for example are Beuttleria and the other one is having wings and what not. you don't have to be an 'IC' team to be in the same party and share XP, no?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:00 pm

I'm all for teaming up in just bout any area

Last edited by RayvenNightkind on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1119
Main Character : Sir Rayvensclaw Nightkind Leader of the Clan of Night
Paladin/Champion of Dalix/Wizard
NWN Username : Rayven Nightkind
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Maeglin Dubh on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Gruftlord wrote:what's the problem with teaming up when more than one faction want to grind the same area? you don't have to like each other to accept that everyone should have the right to grind wherever and whenever they want. the issue at hand is not about questing/exploration, we re talking about mindless beholderbashing. the tunnels are crowded day and night anyway. if i see someone there i would still go there (if i'm into grinding that day). meet, invite, kill faster together.

there will allways be one spawn where two groups meet, that one doesn't count, really. who cares.
after that i'd say team up or work out a solution. but don't just be rude to anyone. no matter if you like them IC or OOC. you could; no you should team up (that includes sending invites as well as accepting them) even if you for example are Beuttleria and the other one is having wings and what not. you don't have to be an 'IC' team to be in the same party and share XP, no?

That's our standard policy, yes. We've grinded with lots of people we wouldn't normally fight with. This all started because someone couldn't be seen in the mix of monsters.

One thing I don't really like about it, though, is it makes grinding almost an OOC practice, reserving all IC interaction for special events. There's got to be a better way.
Maeglin Dubh
Maeglin Dubh
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Number of posts : 521
Main Character : Derfel Cadarn, Warlord of Beuttleria
Other Character : Kasigi Toranaga, Serene Swordsman
Other Character. : Stan Card, Not a Crazed Marksman
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:49 pm

Maeglin Dubh wrote:
Gruftlord wrote:what's the problem with teaming up when more than one faction want to grind the same area? you don't have to like each other to accept that everyone should have the right to grind wherever and whenever they want. the issue at hand is not about questing/exploration, we re talking about mindless beholderbashing. the tunnels are crowded day and night anyway. if i see someone there i would still go there (if i'm into grinding that day). meet, invite, kill faster together.

That's our standard policy, yes. We've grinded with lots of people we wouldn't normally fight with. This all started because someone couldn't be seen in the mix of monsters.

One thing I don't really like about it, though, is it makes grinding almost an OOC practice, reserving all IC interaction for special events. There's got to be a better way.

From what I've read that topic (and that instance) should not be commented on further....End it now, and please don't let this thread get highjacked by that instance.

I believe in this post the original poster was trying to discover what to do in ANY situation like this.. ... from grinding in the tunnels to killing bandits at the bridges, even just to walking through the graveyard or the rats/goblins on the major forest route from vale ....

I think we can see the general consensus is to hang back and help with healing/buffs, then discuss future plans and team up or go seperate ways...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe

Back to top Go down

Post by Maeglin Dubh on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:03 pm

One problem that comes up is high level travel. If an epic PC runs by a lowbie and something spawns, the lowbie might get trashed without immediate assistance. Problem is, you can't really tell what level someone is at a glance.
Maeglin Dubh
Maeglin Dubh
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Number of posts : 521
Main Character : Derfel Cadarn, Warlord of Beuttleria
Other Character : Kasigi Toranaga, Serene Swordsman
Other Character. : Stan Card, Not a Crazed Marksman
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:12 pm

i think in general i would react in character (mostly help clear the spawn) if i feel like it. even if i don't intend to join forces. we are talking about one spawn's worth of xp at most vs a short opportunity to RP. in my book the RP (and if it's just a 'i helped you, you are welcome) wins any time.

@ Maeglin: grinding IS an OOC practise. many peoplegain 20+ lvls per char and rebirth in the tunnels and rush to lvl 40 within a few days. that's not necessarily anywhere near RP.
i don't get your point. imho, and thats what i posted above, there is a difference between an 'IC' team and a 'OOC' party. you could RP being followed by an annoying little fey, that doesn't belong to the Beuttlerian army. but you can still invite her/him (the player) in the 'share-xp/it's-basically-an-ooc-thing' party. that way anyone can stay in character, the Beuttlerian army stays 'clean' but you still get to join forces to grind the sh*t out of the tunnels.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:14 am

One problem that comes up is high level travel. If an epic PC runs by a lowbie and something spawns, the lowbie might get trashed without immediate assistance. Problem is, you can't really tell what level someone is at a glance.

For finding someones level... it doesn't alwys work but you "ask them".. or try info whereall ...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Amethyst347 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:39 am

I don't really like grinding (as evidenced by my menagerie of lowbie PCs), and as such don't do it very often, so that's not a major issue for me. I also tend to solo a lot, but do enjoy the occasional IC chat or teaming up with someone to do quests, etc. I suppose my main concern was 'butting in' on someone else I come across in my travels. I'm not always in the mood for team play or socializing myself, so I reckon 'Hang back, be friendly and then sort it out after' is a good rule of thumb.

Thanks, though, for all the input, guys. 'Oi! That's my XP!' Icon_smile
Amethyst347
Amethyst347
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Female Number of posts : 413
Main Character : I kinda play them all in random bursts.
Other Character : Loneka Darkstar, S'szephyr, Wren Llewelyn, Zadie Grimfallow
NWN Username : amethyst347
Time Zone : GMT
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum