Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Used: Martial Proficiency not so martial?

4 posters

Go down

Used: Martial Proficiency not so martial? Empty Used: Martial Proficiency not so martial?

Post by A_Vagabond Wed May 04, 2011 11:47 pm

So, I've discovered an interesting bug/flaw or design?

Weapons that are "simple" like a mace or crossbow, are coded to be usable if you have simple proficiency, but not martial. So, for a goblin kin who gets martial proficiency, I still can't use a crossbow or a mace. That seems silly to me.

My suggestion is to tweak the 2da so that weapons that are simple are also wieldable by those with martial proficiency. It just doesn't make sense that a mage can shoot a crossbow, but a goblin kin can't.

Thanks.
A_Vagabond
A_Vagabond
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Female Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Used: Martial Proficiency not so martial? Empty Re: Used: Martial Proficiency not so martial?

Post by daveyeisley Thu May 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Agreed. In PnP the prificencies are pretty much structured to be "tiered - inclusive". Meaning, if a character posesses the next Tier of proficiency, it is inclusive of the lower tiers.

Monks and Wizards have specific lists, which is a lower/different "Tier" than Simple Weapons. Martial Weapons are a higher "Tier" than Simple Weapons. So if a Monk gains Martial Weapons Proficiency, it should be assumed that the Monk can also use Simple Weapons (as well as those in the specific list for Monks).

Same thing for Armor Proficiency. If a character gains Heavy Armor proficiency, it makes no sense that the character would not also be able to use Light or Medium Armor.

The only caveat I see to this is where it concerns Item Properties. I believe to accomodate this line of thought, the Item Properties that grant proficiencies need to also be "tiered" in value, to represent the increase in what the granted property will cover.

Most of the Armor and Weapon proficiency issues are already covered by the fact that classes which grant proficiencies explicitly specify the lower "tiers" of proficiency are gained. The above situation with Goblin Kin would be a rare case, and could be resolved in the above method (this would also pre-emptively take care of any other rare-intance issues of a like nature), or by specifying and adding the lower tiers of proficiency to the Goblin Kin racial benefit.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Used: Martial Proficiency not so martial? Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Used: Martial Proficiency not so martial? Empty Re: Used: Martial Proficiency not so martial?

Post by RustyDios Thu May 05, 2011 12:58 pm

From what I've seen this generally tends to work as Dave has said... in tiers.. normally gaining a proficiency in martial will also gain you proficiency in simple (this generally doesn't happen with exotic as that is classed as specific training with those types of weapons) ... Most of the classes offer either simple OR simple&martial ...

I think the easiest solution here would be to update the Goblinkin subrace for both simple and martial then let the Astral Updater do it's job .... .unless of course this isn't The Amethyst Dragon's intent and Goblinkin are simply trained in the use of martial weapons but not simple ones ?! .... ...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : Used: Martial Proficiency not so martial? Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:49 pm

I'll add in an "unadvertised" (so I don't have to go updating multiple descriptions for this tiny change) simple weapon proficiency for goblin kin. Smile

I'll be added to the update anvil with the next module update (and be given automatically from then on when picking the subrace).
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum