Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Druid Questions

4 posters

Go down

Druid Questions Empty Druid Questions

Post by RustyDios Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:56 pm

Hail !

I was thinking about a new PC concept and came across this ....
From here

Special: Andra has no clerics. Gaining levels as a cleric of Andra means that you will gain no granted spells and no special powers, and you will be unable to cast any cleric spells. Clerics taking a level in druid are automatically switched to worship of Andra and lose any special powers or spells they may have been able to use previously.

Does this apply to anyone crossing classes into druid or as stated specifically only clerics ... ??

So if you were to be a Paladin of Dalix and went druid you would switch to worship Andra, and not be able to advance as a Paladin anymore (or use any Pally spells/abilities) ..... ... ?

Can Clerics of Andra turn/rebuke Undead ? .. .. I'm asking because, as the turn visual is deity based and if clerics of Andra cannot turn ((and Druids do not have the ability to either)) then that particular visual will never be seen ... ...

Do Druid (Cleric) Priests of Andra "give up" the ability to turn/rebuke in favour of the wildshape abilities and access to better/different Spells .. ? (( Asked mainly for an in-game explanation type thing of druid vs. cleric))

If you already worship Andra but take a level of cleric does it get "revoked" and suggested that you instead take Druid ?

Where the cleric/divine spells list say Clr [Terris] x, Drd x .... does this mean that spell can be cast by druids also (andra's clerics) so in effect it would read as Clr [Terris, Andra] ? .. or does it mean that only clerics of Terris can cast that spell ?

What happens to Druids that take a blackguard level (worship shifting to Ragnor/Sorgath), do they loose all Druid spells and abilities ?

Sorry for the mass questioning but I'm really thinking of starting a Druid PC, but these questions started firing in my head, wondering where I might take them..
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : Druid Questions Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Druid Questions Empty Re: Druid Questions

Post by Elhanan Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:29 pm

My Druid has no Turning ability in the Radial dial; just extra spells and Wildshapes. However, I did gain a Holy Symbol at creation, I believe.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:45 pm

Hail !

I was thinking about a new PC concept and came across this ....
From here

Special: Andra has no clerics. Gaining levels as a cleric of Andra means that you will gain no granted spells and no special powers, and you will be unable to cast any cleric spells. Clerics taking a level in druid are automatically switched to worship of Andra and lose any special powers or spells they may have been able to use previously.

Does this apply to anyone crossing classes into druid or as stated specifically only clerics ... ??

The scripting attempts to prevent improper "priesting". The trigger you cross to enter the game after picking your patron deity won't let you through if you are a 1st level Cleric with Andra as patron deity (it should tell you to go back and pick a different deity), and will automatically switch you to worship of Andra if you enter it as a 1st level Druid. The level up scripts won't allow you to level up as a Cleric of Andra or as a Druid with any other patron deity.

So if you were to be a Paladin of Dalix and went druid you would switch to worship Andra, and not be able to advance as a Paladin anymore (or use any Pally spells/abilities) ..... ... ?

You would not be able to gain any levels in Druid. You'd go through the level up process, but as soon as you clicked "OK" on the last screen, you'd be reverted back to your previous level and have to go through the process again. The only time your character switches deity is on becoming a blackguard.

Can Clerics of Andra turn/rebuke Undead ? .. .. I'm asking because, as the turn visual is deity based and if clerics of Andra cannot turn ((and Druids do not have the ability to either)) then that particular visual will never be seen ... ...

Nope.

Do Druid (Cleric) Priests of Andra "give up" the ability to turn/rebuke in favour of the wildshape abilities and access to better/different Spells .. ? (( Asked mainly for an in-game explanation type thing of druid vs. cleric))

Nope. It just isn't an option for them. Andra doesn't directly influence the undead, so neither do her priests.

If you already worship Andra but take a level of cleric does it get "revoked" and suggested that you instead take Druid ?

Correct. You can't be both a Cleric and a Druid at the same time.

Where the cleric/divine spells list say Clr [Terris] x, Drd x .... does this mean that spell can be cast by druids also (andra's clerics) so in effect it would read as Clr [Terris, Andra] ? .. or does it mean that only clerics of Terris can cast that spell ?

That means it can be prepared by any Cleric (since it will appear on their available spells list), but if the caster is not a Cleric of Terris, the spell won't do anything when cast. It can also be cast normally by a Druid.

What happens to Druids that take a blackguard level (worship shifting to Ragnor/Sorgath), do they loose all Druid spells and abilities ?

Not quite sure on this one. Looking at the base level up script, I may have to do some adjusting of things to make sure there's no wonkiness in such a case.

Sorry for the mass questioning but I'm really thinking of starting a Druid PC, but these questions started firing in my head, wondering where I might take them..
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Thank you for the answers to my questions.... Smile

Just a few more... Does anybody else experience "3D-Style perceived depth"on the blue lettering next to the white ? ... ie, the blue sentences seem withdrawn into the screen, whilst the white comes forward of the screen to hang in mid-air ? ... Or is that just me ?.....
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:09 am

I think its just you... here is what I see on my screen

Druid Questions Rustyp10
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:21 pm

I rewrote most of the base level up script last night (for the next module update).

There probably won't be a huge difference anyone would notice, but I streamlined things:
- reduced it all to one script (the old one was calling multiple scripts if you were multi-classed)
- accounted for certain limitations based on things such as patron deity (for blackguards, paladins, druids, and clerics) to prevent a possible issue if trying to level up with certain class combinations
- eliminated 30 now-unnecessary scripts from the module (yes, there was a time years ago when I didn't foresee ever getting near the 16k module resources limit)
- eliminated several reads/writes to the server database
- fixed a feat issue if certain clerics became blackguards
- added a way for the script to tell exactly which class was being leveled up (the old version ran checks for every class the PC had at every level up), making the entire thing more efficient

Yup, all of that just to make sure things work properly if a druid becomes a blackguard. Razz To really answer RustyDios' last question:

"What happens to Druids that take a blackguard level (worship shifting to
Ragnor/Sorgath), do they loose all Druid spells and abilities ?"

If a Druid becomes a Blackguard, he or she will no longer be able to successfully cast Druid spells or Wildshape (which are powered by the will of Andra).

Deities do not generally grant power to those that are devoted to a different deity.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com