Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using WASD

Go down

Using WASD Empty Using WASD

Post by DPLincoln on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:28 am

I noticed the "Please do NOT use the 'wasd' keys to move around Aenea" note when I logged in.

I spent yesterday trying to move around by clicking and the movement arrow (both mouse keys, distance changes speed) and I have to say it is S L O WWWWWWWWWW. That's obviously a mechanic fault with NWN itself but I was questioning what exactly does using WASD do to the game/server that is so detrimental?

So, I was using WASD to wander the open spaces, clicking through smaller spots, and using the mouse to hit transitions.

Could I get a better understanding on this problem? Thanks.
DPLincoln
DPLincoln
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2012-03-15

Back to top Go down

Using WASD Empty Re: Using WASD

Post by The Amethyst Dragon on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:57 am

Holding down the movement keys (wasd) does work. However, what it does is send a continual stream of movement commands to the server, causing a little bit more processing load as it continually recalculates your location, movement, direction, etc. and sends it back to your computer and the computer of anyone else in the same area.

The real detriment (and why I don't recommend using it all the time) is that the continuous stream of movement commands can sometimes prevent a character from properly setting off some "trigger-based" scripts (for things like some observations, journal updates, special encounters, etc.). Such movement could mean that your character enters such a trigger, the script just get's started, and a new movement command (from holding down the key) interrupts the script (if it's one that causes the PC to "do something") and prevents what was supposed to happen from happening. This can also sometimes interrupt a "background action" that may be assigned to your character (such as applying special spell-like effects or swapping out special items such as the "aenea pc properties skin").

Using the wasd keys won't break the game or the server, things just run a little more smoothly (server-side) for your character if the mouse click is the main method of movement.

And by mouse click, I mean just the basic left-click on where you want to move to, not the right-click and pick the "move to" option.

The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7839
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.amethyst-dragon.com/nwn

Back to top Go down

Post by DPLincoln on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:47 am

Thanks for clarifying.
DPLincoln
DPLincoln
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:28 am

Funny thing- I have always used the mouse and could never get used to using the wasd keys for movement. The mouse is more precise for me. I think it has to do with how you first learned to get around, and what you got comfortable with, etc.

Also, you can hold the left-mouse button down for more smooth control of movement (this does generate the same issue of a continuous stream of commands to the server, but seems to have a slower "rate of repeat" that doesnt interfere with the scripted triggers like the keyboard does).

Combined with click-and-hold of the middle mouse (scroll wheel) button for rotating the camera, with allows nearly all movement to be handled smoothly by the mouse.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6926
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Using WASD Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:37 am

Ironically, this topic was in my thinking going into SWTOR as it has WASD movement, and one can hold the right-Mouse button down for more accurate directionality. Guess servers have changed since NWN1, but I prefer the older method personally.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1773
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by DPLincoln on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:49 pm

I'm just a very old school gamer so WASD is super comfortable and I've always found NWN's mouse movements clumsy. Unless you click on a door, remains, etc, the PC moves like he's overly encumbered. It disregards any haste or speed bonus and does a casual stroll with not a care in the world. You'd think clicking a creature would help but it's the same as clicking anyplace on the floor.

Today I worked on some lava elves in hopes of more BoMs (which only 1 dropped... grrrr...) and tested out the various clicking. We'll see how it all turns out.
DPLincoln
DPLincoln
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley on Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:04 pm

You may have an issue with your settings or installation if your character is running slower when you mouse click. I use only the mouse to move and I do not have such an issue, even on my super speedy monk. One click and he engages the hyperdrive Razz
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:33 pm

I do not believe he means the PC is sluggish, but is having the same walking; not running issues some have mentioned earlier. For me, some of this is eliminated by altering camera angles, and clicking shorter distances from the PC rather than the longer ones.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1773
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by DPLincoln on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:38 pm

My toon Keyser Soze will amble along at a Sunday drive pace if I click anything within 100 yards of him. The ONLY times he moves fast is if I click something around a corner, click a target creature/treasure, or I use WASD.
DPLincoln
DPLincoln
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 am

DPLincoln wrote:My toon Keyser Soze will amble along at a Sunday drive pace if I click anything within 100 yards of him. The ONLY times he moves fast is if I click something around a corner, click a target creature/treasure, or I use WASD.

Yeah, that doesnt sound right.... not expected behavior.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by DPLincoln on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Today I wandered some more, both with speed boots and without to test whether movement changed any depending on clicks. The farther I clicked, the faster he moved. Too far around a corner and he just hit the corner and got stuck. Clicking any item in the game such as a monster, treasure, door, etc he moved fast IF the item was more than say 50 feet away. I hit up some dungeon with a lot of skeletons and shadows today in some Silverleaf Forest and it was HORRIBLE clicking through the place. I felt like the beginning of Office Space where he's stuck in traffic and the guy with the walker was passing him. LOL!

But hey, we'll make it work I guess.
DPLincoln
DPLincoln
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley on Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:51 pm

If I catch you online at some point we can do some testing. Shouldnt be having such troubles with mouse-clicks slowing movement.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: