Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should the ;;w command display the player name along with the character name?

+2
Elhanan
daveyeisley
6 posters

Go down

Should the ;;w command display the player name along with the character name?

Should the ;;w command display the player name along with the character name? Vote_lcap100%Should the ;;w command display the player name along with the character name? Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 7 ]
Should the ;;w command display the player name along with the character name? Vote_lcap0%Should the ;;w command display the player name along with the character name? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

Should the ;;w command display the player name along with the character name? Empty Should the ;;w command display the player name along with the character name?

Post by daveyeisley Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:10 am

It seems that we could have the 'Who' list of online characters (which is displayed by the ;;w command) also include the name of the player (specifically the account name) in the list, too.

This would make it easier to tell which player is on what character, in cases where someone has a large number of 'Alts' (alternate PCs) and it may be difficult to memorize their names. It could also make it easier to identify DMs when needed, and make it easier for DMs to identify if a player is on who they need to talk to, or complete an action for.

It would, however, also mean that unless people make multiple different account names and split their Alts up between them, it will not be possible to hide one's identity while playing (for whatever reason).

In order to get an idea of how everyone sees the situation, I am posting a poll for 1 week. Make your opinion heard!
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Should the ;;w command display the player name along with the character name? Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Should the ;;w command display the player name along with the character name? Empty Re: Should the ;;w command display the player name along with the character name?

Post by Elhanan Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:34 am

I am all for this, as it is difficult for me to remember names and placing them to PC's. However, there may be some reason why Players wish to remain anonymous, though I can not imagine what it could be.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Should the ;;w command display the player name along with the character name? Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Should the ;;w command display the player name along with the character name? Empty Re: Should the ;;w command display the player name along with the character name?

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:11 am

Yeah, I like that idea, too. I have no reason to hide myself from the playerbase - if I don't want to be recognized, I just don't go online. It would be especially handy for someone looking for a DM, as daveyeisley pointed out.
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:05 am

I'm all on a YES for this.. I've logged in once before and had a great conversation as T'setnoc about "that weird guy" that plays Grace... Smile

It was all slightly in jest and tongue-in-cheek, but I wonder if that would have happened if the other player noticed that it was the same player?.. Maybe they did.... It evolved into a discussion about why guys play as girls in RPG's ... which was a well balanced and informative debate...

However, with like all the information that gets displayed by ;;w , it should also be able to be toggled by the player (by the ;;option wxxxx commands)... which then covers everyone's personal preference especially if it is per PC (then a player could always keep that one PC to be anonymous with? )....
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:14 am

Yes. I've long wanted a way to know which player a new or unknown to me character is, but without having to bother them with a Tell.

I agree that showing this should be toggle-able like most of the other ;;info who, if possible.
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Yes, but with a toggle option to not display one's username.

Granted it becomes a little moot when username is displayed when one logs on/off, or can be found when that character talks/shouts and you can click on their portrait in the chatlog.... but a little "don't want to be bothered' allowance would still be nice.

Likewise.... how about a toggle for us DM?  Have the ;;w command also list (Assistant DM in player-mode) along with the character info? Also have this as a toggle.

There is of course the vc command to request DM assistance, but I feel it's rather an obscure command.  Simplifying finding a DM by bundling it together with the ;;w command would reduce the sheer volume of VC commands to memorize.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down