Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CEP 2.64 Available

2 posters

Go down

CEP 2.64 Available Empty CEP 2.64 Available

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:41 am

Yeah, I know 2.63 came out at the beginning of this year, but there were some things to fix. I'll be updating Aenea for the new version when I finish my area tileset upgrade.

You can get the CEP update here: https://neverwintervault.org/cep
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

CEP 2.64 Available Empty Re: CEP 2.64 Available

Post by daveyeisley Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:37 pm

Thx for the heads up The Amethyst Dragon.

I noticed something interesting in the readme.txt (highlighted below):

"Community Expansion Pack (CEP) 2.64

Simple Installation Instructions:

- This download includes multiple subfolders. Your NWN installation should have subfolders of the same names. Simply decompress the contents of these folders into the same folders for your game.

/ambient contents go into NWN/ambient
/docs contents go into NWN/docs
/erf contents go into NWN/erf
/hak contents go into NWN/hak
/modules contents go into NWN/modules
/tlk contents go into NWN/tlk (if this folder doesn't exist on your machine, just add it)

If you are using only Beamdog's Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition, these subfolders are found in your Documents folder.

If you have both NWN Diamond (1.69) and NWN:EE installed, you can force NWN:EE to use the NWN 1.69 folders (and save yourself disk space) by editing your Documents/Neverwinter Nights/nwn.ini file to point to the old installation folders.

MODULE BUILDERS!

If you have previously used the CEP, make backup copies of your cep2_build.hak and cep2_custom.hak files before installing, and do not copy over your old version of the files! The versions of these haks included in this download are empty, and overwriting your versions of these files will erase any work you put into them."

This seems to indicate that people already have the EE and with the edit to the nwn.ini, it will work with the files in existing NWN Diamond 1.69 directories, is that correct?
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : CEP 2.64 Available Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:03 am

You can purchase NWN:EE and get the "Head Start" version (aka, public beta) right now. By editing the EE copy of nwn.ini, you can tell it to use the current/1.69 folders for things like modules, haks, overrides, and more.

NWN:EE keeps it's "user operated" folders in Documents\Neverwinter Nights folder, rather than C:\NeverwinterNights. If you don't edit the EE nwn.ini, you'd need to have two copies of every hak, override, and module.

Now, evidently, if you use the Steam version of NWN:EE and download (aka "subscribe to") things from the Steam Workshop, that downloaded stuff does get duplicated anyway (because of the way Steam Workshop works). So you could still end up duplicating files if you go that route.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:27 pm

The Amethyst Dragon wrote:You can purchase NWN:EE and get the "Head Start" version (aka, public beta) right now. By editing the EE copy of nwn.ini, you can tell it to use the current/1.69 folders for things like modules, haks, overrides, and more.

NWN:EE keeps it's "user operated" folders in Documents\Neverwinter Nights folder, rather than C:\NeverwinterNights. If you don't edit the EE nwn.ini, you'd need to have two copies of every hak, override, and module.

Now, evidently, if you use the Steam version of NWN:EE and download (aka "subscribe to") things from the Steam Workshop, that downloaded stuff does get duplicated anyway (because of the way Steam Workshop works). So you could still end up duplicating files if you go that route.

I experienced this 'steam sync' behavior with Skyrim, yes. I had mods from Steam workshop that I did not want to auto-update (and when they did it broke a savegame with over 1000 hours played), but there is no way I know of to get the mods without enabling the 'subscribe' features which will automatically sync changes in the mod content, and forced that sync to a pre-determined location which is outside of user control. 

This is why I switched to Nexus mods and never looked back. Steam workshop is great for ease and simplicity of access to mods, but had zero advanced control for people who know what they are doing and do not want default behaviors. 

My advice would be to be very cautious about what mods you subscribe to on steam workshop, and be prepared for mod content updates to interfere with your saved game data. There are documented processes to manually extract mod content but it can be a bit of an arcane process in general and a pain in the butt. 

My recommendation would normally be to use Nexus mods if they mirror the same mod content, and if possible use Nexus mod manager if it supports the game you want to manage mods for. Much better than steam workshop.

That said, Skyrim and NWN:EE probably handle mods quite differently, so aside from the sync location and behavior, it may be significantly easier to handle NWN:EE mods through Steam Workshop. I am curious if anyone has some direct experience with it.

I am glad there is a possibility of getting both installations to play nice with one set of mod content.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : CEP 2.64 Available Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: