Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Player Reward Items?

Go down

Player Reward Items? Empty Player Reward Items?

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:34 pm

Last Updated: September 1, 2014

For those that have selected or been given a *** Custom Item "voucher", here's the information you'll need to get it into the game:

1.   Open the NWN Aurora Toolset. Open the latest Player Building Module (the most recent is dated July 10, 2014).  This module already has all the proper custom content associated with it (so you don't have to worry about which hak and tlk files to add, and in which order).

2a.   Create a new custom item.  Customize the appearance and add properties.  The following item types are unsupported or unused for PC-made items in Aenea:
Spoiler:

2b. There are several item appearances that I am reserving for specific items in the game (ones already in or ones I have plans of adding).  If you have picked one of these appearances, I'll let you know (generally in a PM here on the forum) so that you can pick a different appearance. Most of these will be ones that feature a built-in visual effect (such as the flaming blade of a soulfire warrior's sword) or will have a white distortion/smudge in the item icon in the toolset.

For some item types (such as shields or wands), you might want to use the "guide" images I use in building.  They help to speed up making appearance choices.

2c.  Certain properties are not used in PC custom items due to: a) similar effects being used in certain game mechanics coding, b) are considered too powerful, c) should be class abilities only (my opinion), d) are used only by the game for NPCs or default BioWare items (not intended for use by PCs), or e) used only by certain Aenea-specific systems.  Some cause a big drain on the server processor or add too many resources to the module.
Spoiler:

2d. Some properties, while allowed, are limited for game balance reasons:
Spoiler:

2e. I may, at times, say no to other properties/combinations not on this list (ones I didn't think of when I made this list, or ones I have reconsidered) for game balance reasons.  If that's the case after I have your .erf, I'll contact you to offer suggestions for changes before adding the item.

2f. There are several On Hit Cast Spell: Material * properties that are allowed on custom items. If making a weapon with the standard (aka, Reforged) parts, there are in most cases appearances that would match up.
Spoiler:

2g. There are a few "Aenean item properties" that people have requested pricing/availability for.  Below are the ones that I will consider adding to a custom item.  These are more expensive (4x-8x as expensive as the standard item), since they require that I alter module scripts to accommodate them.  If you pick one of these, be sure to figure the cost into your calculations, since these don't show up in the toolset.  Your item can have only 1 of these properties on an item, and you must record the property and cost in the Comments tab for the item.
Spoiler:

2h. Note that "negative" properties do not decrease the value of an item, so there's really no reason to add them to your item (unless you just want to have such a drawback for roleplaying purposes).

3.   The item can be worth a "Total Cost" of up to the limit in the item voucher/coupon name (20,000, 40,000, etc.).

4. On the 1st tab ("General"), set the item's Category to Special > Custom 1 (the palette already has a lot of items, and I do not have time to hunt through every category). [Screenshot]

5.   In the Comments section of the item itself, you must include your full username and full character name (with proper spelling, capitalization, spacing, and punctuation)...the script that gives you the item needs this information to be correct).  Characters with names that contain special letters or symbols will likely need a DM's help to get you the item in-game after I add it.

Also handy to have in this section is the value of the voucher(s) being used, if this is an upgrade with a later voucher, and anything else you want me to know.  I read the emails the files are attached to once (when I first download the attachments), referring to notes in the item Comments for clarification (so I don't have to track down emails with generic subject lines).

If this is an upgrade or a redesign, you must include this information in the Comments section, and you need to include the original item's name (so if you change it, I can still locate the original).

6.   Export your item:
- Right click on your item in the palette and select "Export"
- Change the file name to your character's name (letters/numbers, up to 16 characters)
- Click on Save
- Click OK

7.   Email the .erf file as an attachment to:   nwn@amethyst-dragon.com

8.   I will add the item to the game, making necessary edits to the item (after consulting with you about major changes).

9.   After I add the item to the game module and update the server version, it will be given to you when you use the green "item updating" anvil in the Astral Conjunction.  This adding process may take up to a week since real life prevents me from spending 100% of my day focused on NWN.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequent Questions:

Q: Can I use my 40k voucher to upgrade the item I got with my 20k voucher to get a 60k item?

A: Yes.  Just be sure to include in the .erf you send (in the Comments tab) the fact that you are doing that, and make sure the upgraded item has the same name as the original custom item.

Q: Can I use my 80k voucher to get two custom 40k value items?

A: No.  Each voucher is for a single item (although upgrading an existing custom item is allowed).

Q: Can I use my 40k voucher to upgrade this sword I found in-game that's worth 23,574 gp, to add properties to make it worth up to 63,574 gp?

A: No.  The vouchers are not used to upgrade items already found in the game.  They are only for custom items nobody else can get.

Q: Can I give my item voucher to another of my characters?

A: No.  That voucher and the custom item that gets traded for it is only for the character that received it.  Besides, your characters really don't know each other, and would never consider just giving a prized possession to a complete stranger.

Q: Can I change the properties or type of my custom item?

A: Yes and no.  You have several options: A) purchase a "redesign" voucher from the innkeeper at the Sleeping Dragon then send a new .erf to The Amethyst Dragon (in the comments tab, be sure to include the name of the original item, even if changing the actual item type), or B) use the services of the Maker or dwarf wizard (when they are DM-possessed) to add additional properties to the existing item.  A redesign allows an item type change, using the Maker or dwarf wizard does not.

Q: I've never used the toolset.  Can you tell me how I use the it to make my item?

A: I could, but RustyDios already made a handy Step-by-Step Guide for creating such items.

Last edited by The Amethyst Dragon on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:27 pm; edited 91 times in total
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Player Reward Items? Empty Re: Player Reward Items?

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Bump, with some updated information.

If you haven't read this thread and would like to submit a custom item...I suggest reading from the beginning, just to make my job easier. Razz

The new player build module (with newer CEP 2.3 haks properly associated) will become available tonight or tomorrow.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:47 pm

Bumping this, because I've changed how the item is given to characters.

No longer done by trigger in the Sleeping dragon, it's now done by using the green glowing anvil in the Astral Conjunction.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down