Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Partially Used: Enchant Focus additions....

+2
Ra Cha Chongo
RustyDios
6 posters

Go down

Partially Used: Enchant Focus additions.... Empty Partially Used: Enchant Focus additions....

Post by RustyDios Wed May 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Hail ...

I believe there are a few "blank spaces" in the enchant focus list... there are a plethora of wands and rods in Aenea and some are missing off the list.... It would be great to see the full Aenea wand compliment on the list...

The wand that springs into mind the most is the humble "Wand of Invisibility", now it may already be on the list.. but if it is I sure as hell can't see it.. Smile

It would also be great to have a few "Enchant Only" focuses.. much in the same vein as the Dino Hide/ Chittin Armour... this would make the feat more appealing in my opinion...

Combintion's of spells that seem to be commonly used by all... such as:

"Rod of the Shields"
--Mestils Acid Sheath
--Death Armour
--Flora's Razorleaf Shield

"Flora's Wand of Armouring" -- with Flora's Plant Armour and not Mage Armour
"Glacius' Wand of Armouring" -- with Glacius' Ice Armour and not Mage Armour

"Mythgar's Shielding Stave" -- 1 time casting of Epic Warding/Epic Mage Armour (they're in the spell lists after all)..((This would be a VERY HIGH cost / rare material components))

"Shivani's Wand of Blood" & "Shivani's Wand of Gore"
-- Shivani's Bloodletting Blade & Shivani's Beheading Blade

The "Staff of Luminous"

"Gaelen's Ghostly Wand" -- Ethereal Visage / Sanctuary / Greater Sanctuary

"Anaurra's Rod of Mazes" -- The Various Barrier Spells

"Wand of xxxBall" -- Like the Fireball wands but with Otiluke's sphere, Glacius' Ice Blast, Gnimishes Shockwave, Luminous' Flames, Silvania's Sphere

and what I think would be nearly everybodies favorite (from the enchanting hands of a farstep master only)
"Rod of Translocation"
-- Teleport -- 2charge/use
-- Summon Ally-- 3ch/use
-- Magehound -- 5ch/use
-- Teleport Barrier --1ch/use

Hope ye like the suggestions.. I'm sure many others have more ideas....
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : Partially Used: Enchant Focus additions.... Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Partially Used: Enchant Focus additions.... Empty Re: Partially Used: Enchant Focus additions....

Post by Ra Cha Chongo Wed May 27, 2009 1:56 pm

I think they're fantastic ideas (and, as predicted, the Rod of Translocation most of all Very Happy ).

Vizzini was pretty disappointed when he took this feat and found the fairly small number of items he could make with it, especially in light of all the fantastic custom Aenean spells; as well as the fact that the wands he makes at level 30 are no more effective than the wands made at level 5. I'd really like to see the ability to craft a wand that can throw a 10th level xxxBall/ Acid Breath/ etc.
Ra Cha Chongo
Ra Cha Chongo
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Number of posts : 413
Main Character : Vizzini The Inconceivable
Other Character : Jinx
Other Character. : Whichever one I happen to be playing at the moment; I think it's mostly been Vinzer lately
Time Zone : EST (GMT - 5:00)
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Back to top Go down

Partially Used: Enchant Focus additions.... Empty Re: Partially Used: Enchant Focus additions....

Post by daveyeisley Wed May 27, 2009 2:55 pm

The OC wand crafting somehow managed to capture the casters actual caster level and put it in the item (up to the spells maximum scalable level).

Not sure if The Amethyst Dragon's scripts can do that too or not...

Not to be a killjoy.... but craftable items that require a specific prestige class arent such a hot idea.... folks can level up a character, make the item, and then relevel and drop the class. If you also require the user to have the class that is needed to craft it, you may as well not have the item be craftable. I would MUCH rather retain the ability to relevel a PC and correct errors or tweak things in a build than lose that ability in favor of the craft system having a few more special items.

I recently spoke with The Amethyst Dragon about some epic spell item properties... I sort of agree that those things are very specific and exclusive and hard to get and shouldnt be allowed on items... (as much as it tanked a build I was working on). You need 21 arcane casting levels and 24 spellcraft- which requires a 21st level PC- to get epic mage armor (18 levels if you are a level 3 sorc/wiz and level 15 pale master, and your 11-15th pale master levels have to be taken after 20th character level so thats a level 25 PC) and you need 21 arcane caster levels and 34 spellcraft-which requires a 31st level PC- for epic warding.

Moreso than any other feats, these ones require focused investment in a single character path. The casters who have them have dedicated more than HALF of their total character levels, AND use up an epic level feat to get them (epic level feats are much more powerful than pre-epic ones)... anybody who has not done the same shouldnt have access.... and thats is primarily for balance reasons.

A level 40 fighter with 10 Int suddenly popping off an epic warding from a staff? No way...

A level 10 Cleric doing the same? No way...

A level 10 wizard? Uh-uh.

A level 31 bard doing that? Shouldnt need the staff... bards are *supposed* to have access to the feats.... its in the manual. Thanks, BioWare.

Much as I would love to have a powerful Aenean item named after my DM character, I have to respectfully ask that the proposed item properties (epic spells) not be put in the game for items... whether it has mythgar's name or not.

The other idea's in rusty's post I like a lot. Items that can only be crafted are fine, as long as they don't upset game balance. It gives crafters that special value of "you cant get this anywhere else". But the relevelling option means somebody who plans well wont need to STAY a crafter to get that item.

It would be nice to see all the spells of 4th level and lower have craftable wands, and especially nice if those wands could have their caster level set with a VC command (like it works in tabletop).

Last edited by daveyeisley on Wed May 27, 2009 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ra Cha Chongo Wed May 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Mm, good points
Ra Cha Chongo
Ra Cha Chongo
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Number of posts : 413
Main Character : Vizzini The Inconceivable
Other Character : Jinx
Other Character. : Whichever one I happen to be playing at the moment; I think it's mostly been Vinzer lately
Time Zone : EST (GMT - 5:00)
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Wed May 27, 2009 3:48 pm

Yes, all good points... I'd like to see scalable wands too... A 30th lev enchanter should be able to create something more powerful then a 5th lev enchanter.. I remember the OC doing that, I also remember just purely casting a spell at the wand and it creating one of that spell....(( not sure if that was my sorc's spell selection that let me do that or if it truely was any spell))....

I can see the abuse of the re-leveller for that idea behind the Rod of Translocation, I was trying to keep my suggestion within the flavour of Aenea (FM's being the "ultimates in teleportation magics", it made sense to me to suggest that)...

The Staff of Mythgar was possibly a balance ruining idea, but it needed to be thrown out.. I wanted to know what others think..
...maybe "Mythgars Pointer of Annihilation" -- Wand -- Disentegrate 5ch/use..
That's sounds more reasonable... Smile

I did want to suggest an item for each of the DM's, but nothing sprang instantly to mind for Dungeon Master Varil or The Amethyst Dragon ... maybe Dungeon Master Varil 's be a clerical based wand/rod/staff.. something like firestorm (Kali was a cleric)... and as for The Amethyst Dragon 's ... well that would be something way way too unique for me to even suggest... ...

The idea here being that those items be ONLY craftable, but a thought just occured, the "DM themed items require a material component only obtainable from the DM in question.. .. such as a Gorgon's tusk, the Afterglow of a WoW, A Cheese Sarnie".. just an idea...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed May 27, 2009 4:22 pm

One note on the translocation rod... if there *were* such an item to be added...

Magehound is lower level than Summon Ally, I believe MH is 5th and SA is 6th? Not positive off the top of my head, but I plan to double check). So Magehound should use 3 charges, and Summon Ally would use 5 if that is the case.

Rod usable by anyone, has limited charges... doesnt require UMD. Could be a rare drop, OR (i like this idea better)... it could be a static drop off of a powerful caster enemy Smile

I even have an NPC designed in the toolset that could work for this if The Amethyst Dragon wants it.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Thu May 28, 2009 12:43 am

Yeah, there was only 1 source of inspiration for the Rod of Translocation.... (and until I discovered the joy of custom items, I searched everywhere for one.. I think we both know who the inspiration was)....

And that sounds ace to have it off a powerful NPC caster, but he'd likely get farmed.... The idea here is for unique items to be added to the enchant system (but either way it's good)..

I believe your correct with Magehound vs. Summon Ally spell level, but SA is a more universal spell (it's for Sor/wiz/Brd and Clr/Drd).. and IMO it's alot cooler and rarer to jump yourself to someone (no saves from that person, no questions) then to ask them for aid (question, gets negated if they are in combat, still uses a use)....
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Thu May 28, 2009 1:31 am

And then there's the general annoyance factor of having a certain shadow just pop up on you Razz
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Svair Thu May 28, 2009 1:43 am

RustyDios wrote: and IMO it's alot cooler and rarer to jump yourself to someone (no saves from that person, no questions) then to ask them for aid (question, gets negated if they are in combat, still uses a use)....
Bolding mine

I actually gave some thought about this some time back - I wasn't to thrilled with the idea that anyone could attune themselves to my PC and then 'port' to me whenever they wished (for several reasons). I'm kinda glad that I didn't say anything as none of my fears ever came true....
Svair
Svair
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1178
Main Character : Karamip Ningle
Other Character : Phyllick Delucian
NWN Username : S'Vair

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthroplayer Thu May 28, 2009 8:02 am

Rod's can have restrictions added to them as well as Wands. You can make wands usable by anyone, or only a single class (like a prestige, or a base class). Also, wands can only have one spell at a time, but as many restrictions and weight alterations as possible. Rods can have a combination of 8 spells or weight alterations. Class restrictions never count towards magic item usage, so it is always a good idea for The Amethyst Dragon to add a class restriction here or there.
Anthroplayer
Anthroplayer
Aenean Scholar
Aenean Scholar

Male Number of posts : 340
Main Character : Rick Sanneset
Other Character : Arion Bloodbane
Other Character. : Callis Fellfair
Other Character.. : Richard Deathbend
NWN Username : Anthroplayer
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down