Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Used: Devourer Beetles

3 posters

Go down

Used: Devourer Beetles Empty Used: Devourer Beetles

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Two suggestions for these nasty little creatures.

1) They spawn in 'neutral', and I found in many of the areas they spawn in, the area's PvP settings prevent AoE's and hostile attack spells from working on them until they actually turn hostile. And since they -are- going to turn hostile on PC's whether the PC is carrying food or not, it puts the player at a disadvantage of having to act like a dumdum and stand in front of them waving "woohoo, here I am! come eat me!".

That well prepared mage who goes invis or the rogue who goes into stealth with a wand of fireballs ready cannot employ that invis/stealth against the beetles effectively. It would make more sense that the beetles spawn in as hostile, since they're going to turn such anyways. There's just no logical reason why we shouldn't be able to blast the beetles away with ambush tactics without having to first get them to see us to turn them hostile.

2) They are able to penetrate damage reduction as high as +5/20. They are even able to damage characters with as much as -/20 DR (epic damage reduction + dwarven defender DR).... This is the beetles simply 'breaking the rules' as it were since to penetrate that -/20 DR, they have to be able to dish out 21 or more damage in a single hit. I could almost understand the +5/20 DR if they had the +5 needed to penetrate, but they don't as far as I know. Could whatever is allowing them to penetrate DR that they shouldn't be removed?
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Used: Devourer Beetles Empty Re: Used: Devourer Beetles

Post by daveyeisley Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:07 pm

I agree with these ideas and the intent behind them, but just an observation... I have found that when my PC is not carrying any food at all, they do not go hostile on me unless I attack them.

Still, yes it is *incredibly* annoying to have a stoneskin spell active, a fireball memorized, and be invis when I walk into the area.... and not be able to blast them... and then when I pop out of invis to turn them hostile.... they have *evasion* and can sometimes completely avoid my fireballs and burning hands, all the while ignoring my stoneskin spell and eating all my food while they damage me through it.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Used: Devourer Beetles Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:27 pm

Hrmm, they've always attacked my PCs, food or not.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:15 am

After the next planned reset...

Devourer beetles are having their classic 1 point "bite" replaced with a "no combat damage" weapon. It will still have a large attack bonus so that they can get past DR in order to eat food, but shouldn't be able to cause any physical damage. There were always supposed to be a pest, rather than a danger to anyone. They will also have few hitpoints and a slightly lower armor class and will be part of the "hostile" faction instead of the neutral one.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com