Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General noobish questions

+2
The Amethyst Dragon
Christopher Robin R2
6 posters

Go down

General noobish questions Empty General noobish questions

Post by Christopher Robin R2 Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:42 am

So, just a bunch of questions I'd like to throw out. Firstly, is it possible to delete a character? I think I don't like various choices I made, and while I know I can re-level, that doesn't change mistakes like races. (I've decided I don't like the XP penalty on subraces, and the nocturnal ones are just NO fun for me. I'm just too attracted to the huge stat bonii, but after trying them I generally don't find it worth it, especially if I die a lot). I guess I could just stop using them, but... well, it bothers me. (I know, why'd I create a bunch of characters I didn't like? Well, because I didn't know I wouldn't like them, of course. Although I mostly do like Klein, because Damage Reduction is stupidly good. Low-level enemies often can't damage him AT ALL. He laughs at goblins and ants. Might actually be worth the XP penalty, although it might be useless at higher levels).

Next, does anyone have any tips for a low-level wizard? I found it ten-times harder than playing a melee character, since... well, everything kills me. AC 13 makes you roadkill. (Compared to Klein, who has AC 19 and Damage Reduction 5, which makes him a tank that shrugs off everything). I can't even GET to the goblin caves, and am forced to grind the small group of goblins on the road, along with the dire rat and rabid mice. (And why did I go with Bright Gnome? +4 to Int was too attractive, but a wizard who can't use a staff is just not a wizard at all). I don't even know what spells I should be picking. And should I be a Generalist, or specialize in something? What's useful in general? Should I be using AoE spells to make up for my lack of melee skill, or using my familiar/summon as melee and just using magic missile as artillery? I've had a problem with AoE-ing my familiar, or even myself.

Thirdly, what sort of order should I be doing things in? There's really no hints to how difficult things are, and it's just WAY easy to find yourself in over your head without meaning too. I thought most of the quests related to the NPCs in the starting town would be easy... wrong. There are trolls in the caves that are IN town, as I discovered while kobold hunting. Talk about CR mismatch. Darla Blackrose's quest sounded easy, but not only did I spend forever walking to Tradeholm, but I had to run most of the way being chased by monsters I couldn't beat. (And all the towns were behind magic barriers so I couldn't hide in them). I wandered into a forest near the town at one point, only to get slain by a couple of demi-liches who popped up. And while my fighter had a cakewalk through the ant hive, my ranger couldn't even enter the barn without dropping. I tried walking across an empty plain, but a giant invisible lion-thing ate me.

I guess I'd just like some helpful newbie advice to get me going. Uh, and while it may sound like I have a lot of complaints, I'm actually enjoying myself immensely, so don't get the wrong impression. I'd just like to feel more like I know what I'm doing.
Christopher Robin R2
Christopher Robin R2
Player with Too Much Time

Male Number of posts : 78
NWN Username : XrisRobin
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Texas)
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xrisrobin

Back to top Go down

General noobish questions Empty Re: General noobish questions

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:46 am

Lots to work with here, so I'll go bit by bit....

So, just a bunch of questions I'd like to throw out. Firstly, is it possible to delete a character?
Yes. If you PM me your NWN username and the list of characters you don't want anymore, I can delete them from the servervault.

Note: Once they are deleted, please do not make another character with the same name. Many settings are stored in the campaign database on the server based on character name, and those are not deleted with the character...so later characters would be messed up if they have the same name.

Next, does anyone have any tips for a low-level wizard?
Use your familiar and summon ally spells as meat shields. If you have a few hundred extra gold coins, buy an ox from Ocsana...it can be a strong ally and will carry heavy things for you (this one may draw harder encounters if in party, but you can have it "stay" nearby (dropping it from the party but you can talk to it again to get it to rejoin). tenser's floating disc can also carry stuff for you, but lasts only one game hour per caster level. Take spells to improve your AC (mage armor or glacius' ice armor, shield). Sleep as often as possible (sleeping is unlimited at the lowest levels) to restore your spellcasting. If you have a few extra hitpoints, use the Arcane Attack powers (acid is a good one). Invest in crossbow bolts (goblins drop light crossbows often). Collect things goblins drop and sell them (they sometimes have +1 stuff, and a normal light crossbow can be worth decent money at lower levels).

A beginning spellcaster is one of the more difficult characters to play, but can become the most powerful in the game. I'm sure daveyeisley will have more pointers than me, since he's played a certain wizard character for more than a year now. Smile

And should I be a Generalist, or specialize in something? What's useful in general? Should I be using AoE spells to make up for my lack of melee skill, or using my familiar/summon as melee and just using magic missile as artillery? I've had a problem with AoE-ing my familiar, or even myself.
I myself prefer generalist, just because there are so many spells you can learn and use. You miss out on a few bonus spell slots, but the versatility is very nice. AoE spells can be useful, but if you're often using summons/familiars in battle, go with targeted spells (if you make it to 5th level, the 3rd level phoenix's frigid bolts spell is kind of like a combo area/targeted spell that sends targeted rays at multiple enemies in an area). If you can find/buy/make a wand of magic missiles, you have extra firepower. If all else fails, see if you can find a rod of frost (low damage, but it's unlimited use).

Thirdly, what sort of order should I be doing things in? There's really no hints to how difficult things are, and it's just WAY easy to find yourself in over your head without meaning too.
Not everything within a short walk of Valorian's Vale is easy, and learning what to face and what to run from is something to get used to in a more difficult game, since your character doesn't have a way to just look at something and tell how dangerous it is. Talking with other players can help fill you in on the best places to go at starting levels.

Maybe this would be a good time for other players to start filling stuff in in the different Aenean Lore parts of the forum (such as Places and Creature Lore). hint hint Razz

I guess I'd just like some helpful newbie advice to get me going. Uh, and while it may sound like I have a lot of complaints, I'm actually enjoying myself immensely, so don't get the wrong impression. I'd just like to feel more like I know what I'm doing.
Glad you're liking it here! I also like to know what's going on in a PW, and these are great questions. If you have more, feel free to ask!
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:25 pm

I know that Manny wrote a wonderful primer on Aenean Bards, and part of me feels that I owe the playerbase a similar effort to share what I have learned of the Wizard class in Aenea... I may yet compose such a thing, but it will take more time than I currently have (LOTS of real life stuff going on coinciding with new job being ridiculously busy).

In the meantime, I know it is not as direct, but I sometimes go back and read over Crideas' Adventure Notes to reminisce about my early adventures. A LOT has changed since back then, but one may be able to glean some useful bits, and hopefully be mildly entertained by the reading (im no professional writer, but i like to think i don't suck).

I am also very willing and happy to answer direct questions about Wizards. My next post in this threrad will attempt to address what I can from the original post....
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : General noobish questions Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Svair Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:17 pm

I've started a Wizard (or so), but then I have questions for daveyeisley and never get around to them. So I would look forward to a "Wizard Guide to Aenea".
Svair
Svair
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1178
Main Character : Karamip Ningle
Other Character : Phyllick Delucian
NWN Username : S'Vair

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:26 pm

Christopher Robin R2 wrote:
Next, does anyone have any tips for a low-level wizard? I found it ten-times harder than playing a melee character, since... well, everything kills me. AC 13 makes you roadkill. (Compared to Klein, who has AC 19 and Damage Reduction 5, which makes him a tank that shrugs off everything). I can't even GET to the goblin caves, and am forced to grind the small group of goblins on the road, along with the dire rat and rabid mice. (And why did I go with Bright Gnome? +4 to Int was too attractive, but a wizard who can't use a staff is just not a wizard at all).

Tips: At low levels, you will not have enough spells to fuel offensive spell barrages against more than one or two enemies. Focus on defensive spells like mage armor (armor bonus to AC), shield (deflection bonus), cats grace (dex bonus), and even with totally mediocre stats, you will have AC 19.

Invisibility is one of the most powerful spells in Aenea. Thats a very good thing because without it, in my opinion, Arcane spellcasters would be frustrating as all hell to play. As I am sure you have noticed, often times, the spawns appear two feet away from you.... and if they can see you, they are in melee before you can even *click* on a spell, let alone target and cast it.... which leads to attacks of opportunity, and failed concentration checks, and shortly thereafter, a dead wizard.

Invisibility changes all that. I am totally serious. Memorize at least one. Try to scribe a scroll or two (when you have one available to cast, type "enchant scroll Invisibility" without the quotes, it will cost a little gold and a smidgen of XP but it can SAVE YOUR BACON) and carry it with you, ensuring you have it on a quickslot to cast quickly. Invisibility is a good thing to use when exploring because when the enemies spawn, they wont see you, and then you can guage their numbers and make a judgement of whether you are prepared to engage them or not.... and if not, you can leave the area without them ever knowing you were there (in *most* cases.... some enemies, notably clerical casters, will sometimes cheat and cast "invisibility purge" even when they arent supposed to know anybody is there there for the spell to work on, so watch out for that, but it is VERY rare). Invisibility *scrolls* are also great for escaping combat as they can be used in melee without provoking attacks of opportunity.

For low levels, and even into mid levels, use your highest level summon creature spell upon waking every day (unless you have a specific reason for "saving" it). Always memorize one, however. It lasts 24 hours, no matter what... and it provides a meatshield to hold enemies away from you, so you dont have to contantly worry about casting defensively, or getting beaten to a pulp. Use your familiar as well, to help your summon get flanking bonuses, and certain familiars can even sneak attack when they work in tandem with a summon.

If you have the spells to spare without neglecting your defenses, cast buffs on your summon. Anything to improve its resilience and buy you time needed to get more spells off. Also note that *most* buffs that you cast on yourself will ALSO (thanks to Amethyst Dragon) affect your familiar as well with only the single casting... even spells that cannot normally be cast on another person.... such as Shield, or Crag's Sacrifical Stones.

Heal your familiar by talking to it when you get out of combat. Also use healing kits on your summoned minion (invest ranks in heal to get the most benefit from healing kits).

AoE can be just fine even when you are relying on summons and meathsields. Just do utilize one of two tactics: Memorize spells that will not harm party members (if you are good-aligned, Luminus' Redeeming Flames is a Magnificent spell, as it nukes evil enemies and will barely scratch your neutral summons), OR memorize buffs that will protect your summon and/or familiar from your AoE. I find that when fighting trolls, 3 or 4 fireballs work wonders, but if you dont want to fry your Familiar and Summon, you ALSO need to memorize at least 2 Protection from Elements spells to prep your minions before the battle. They may still die, but by the time your fireballs drop your allies, they will ALSO have dropped your enemies....

Haste is your friend. Any time you enter a dangerous combat, you should cast this JUST BEFORE you initiate hostilities. Twice as many spells in the same amount of time equals WAY less time for your enemies to hurt you or your allies.... or even to erect any sort of effective defenses against your onslaught.

Rest as soon as your spell reserves get depleted to a point where you are not confident you will be up to snuff for a tough battle. If you have rested too recently to do it again, try to have a Potion of Magical renewal on hand.... they are very pricey at low levels, but can be WELL worth it... the shrine to mystara behind Valorian's Vale can sell them to you. If you can't afford one, save up for one. If you can afford one, save up for two. Crideas always tries to keep a stack of 10 on hand in a bag of holding Razz

I don't even know what spells I should be picking. And should I be a Generalist, or specialize in something? What's useful in general? Should I be using AoE spells to make up for my lack of melee skill, or using my familiar/summon as melee and just using magic missile as artillery? I've had a problem with AoE-ing my familiar, or even myself.

Hopefully most of this was addressed in my last paragraph. As for specilalization... in all honesty.... I used to think that was the way to go.... but experience has taught me otherwise. One of the LARGEST benefits of beiung a Wizard is being able to learn EVERY single arcane spell... and memorize them when you know you will need a specific spell. Why give up a large portion of that benefit? If you get savvy over time to what spells are your "workhorses" and always keep them memorized, you will never notice the lack of the "bonus slots".... because you will be able to manage the slots you have to get done what needs doing, by using the right tool for each job.

I actually screwed myself in the OC by selecting Evocation as my chosen school, prohibiting my Wizard from learning Conjuration.... dont you know that the ONLY energy type that could effectively harm the end boss was Acid.... and guess what Arcane Spell School owns Acid damage? Thats right, Conjuration. Could I still beat him? Yeah... but only by relying on my allies to damage him,which took forever... and which was not much fun at all.

Thirdly, what sort of order should I be doing things in? There's really no hints to how difficult things are, and it's just WAY easy to find yourself in over your head without meaning too. I thought most of the quests related to the NPCs in the starting town would be easy... wrong. There are trolls in the caves that are IN town, as I discovered while kobold hunting. Talk about CR mismatch. Darla Blackrose's quest sounded easy, but not only did I spend forever walking to Tradeholm, but I had to run most of the way being chased by monsters I couldn't beat. (And all the towns were behind magic barriers so I couldn't hide in them). I wandered into a forest near the town at one point, only to get slain by a couple of demi-liches who popped up. And while my fighter had a cakewalk through the ant hive, my ranger couldn't even enter the barn without dropping. I tried walking across an empty plain, but a giant invisible lion-thing ate me.

Explore and scout while invisible, and you will be able to range farther and safely avoid *most* overwhelming encounters. Dragons will still eat you.... so watch out for that. If you get into a fight and realize you cant win, go invisible and summon a weenie to distract the enemy while you run.... and then take advantage of the BEST part of being a Wizard.... "Knowing what lies down the path ahead, because you just escaped it.... so now you can then memorize the exact spells you need to magically dismantle the foe, rest, and return with a VENGEANCE!"

Preparation is the **KEY** to Wizardly Combat. In order to be properly prepared, you need to know what you are up against. If there is no way for you to know, then be prepared to escape once youfind out... so that way you CAN properly prepare. Strategy, tactics, proper planning. These are the tools of Arcane Mastery.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:24 pm

A note on familiars too.... while RP wise it may make more sense to have the same familiar, there's opportunity and nothing wrong with using one type in the lower levels and then switching later on. Imps have DR which makes them good for those very early levels. Faerie Dragons are able to cast improved invisibility (even after the "invisibility" aspect wears off, you still have the 50% concealment for the duration). My personal experience with the panther is that it starts to show it's power more in the teen levels, when you have access to buffing spells that affect it, giving it the same DR as the imp and such. The eyeball... that one doesnt' really mature until much later when it has a full array of eye beams to use, and you can buff it up sufficiently.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Robin R2 Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:45 am

Wow, those are some great tips. Thanks for the help, everyone.
Christopher Robin R2
Christopher Robin R2

Male Number of posts : 78
NWN Username : XrisRobin
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Texas)
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xrisrobin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amilmar Te'fenocen Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:00 am

Also, I would advise you to try to find another low level character to form a party. The extra help can be invaluable at low levels.
Amilmar Te'fenocen
Amilmar Te'fenocen
Adventurer
Adventurer

Male Number of posts : 34
Main Character : Amilmar Te'fenocen
Other Character : Pizzic Starlic
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content