Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: Enemies Blocking Teleportation

+2
DerusTal
evilkittenofdoom
6 posters

Go down

Not Used: Enemies Blocking Teleportation Empty Not Used: Enemies Blocking Teleportation

Post by evilkittenofdoom Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:38 pm

Annoying as it might be, I'd love to see enemies start using Teleportation Barrier, especially boss creatures. Make it impossible for people to run from them... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1217
Main Character : Aseph, the NOT old sorcerer
Other Character : Analo, professional Dracolich (and other undead) hunter
Other Character. : Sivoran, the PC Demilich
Other Character.. : Imyna, Drow Priestess of Sorgath
NWN Username : evilkittenofdoom
Time Zone : EST (GMT-5)
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Enemies Blocking Teleportation Empty Re: Not Used: Enemies Blocking Teleportation

Post by DerusTal Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:45 pm

That doesn't seem fun at all.
DerusTal
DerusTal
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Number of posts : 270
Main Character : Mathian Derou
NWN Username : samanuske
Registration date : 2008-10-12

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Enemies Blocking Teleportation Empty Re: Not Used: Enemies Blocking Teleportation

Post by evilkittenofdoom Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:55 pm

fun, no, but for some magically potent bosses, it would make sense... Many of the areas I can think of are already teleport blocked so it wouldnt apply to some anyway

However, limiting the duration of those abilities would be a good idea as to not hamper with others going into the same area...

Last edited by evilkittenofdoom on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added duration limitation)
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:44 pm

I can see the logic from one angle... but what I think leads me away from the suggestion is that the bosses who are magically potent and have access to the spell are almost all already in teleport blocked zones. No need for them to cast it...

Add to that how much it would suck to be temporarily denied releport access INTO a zone because somebody was fighting the boss and the boss just cast teleport barrier. I would rather be denied teleport access all the time than never know when I might suddenly be locked out of one of my TP markers.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Not Used: Enemies Blocking Teleportation Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:48 pm

Hence the shortened duration... 1-2 rounds per level prevents a player from running sufficiently without giving a huge impact on others... It also disallows for magical aid from other players as well, another aspect I did forget about.

I do realize though that most, if not all, of the bosses that I could see doing this are inside of no-teleport areas, so I don't think it's really that big of an issue... I guess it just sparked in my head as a way to possibly use a highly underused spell (Teleportation Barrier)
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:32 pm

I think its a non-issue for bosses, to be honest.

For other enemies, like liches, vampire mages, bandit mages, etc, it could be an interesting twist... however it would also require them to use an action to cast it... and that in itself would possibly serve to make the enemies *easier* to defeat...
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by DerusTal Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:45 pm

Go go, AoOs!
DerusTal
DerusTal
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Number of posts : 270
Main Character : Mathian Derou
NWN Username : samanuske
Registration date : 2008-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Raising_Cain Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:49 am

Well.. That and the fact: What if you're a genuinely weak character and accidentally stumble on that? You can't run. At all. Vampires? Fast. Mages? Against a lowbie? It's almost laughable, the butchering that would ensue.

It's a great idea! It really is, but only if you could somehow get it to work so that it can affect everyone about the same.

Edit: Ooh, maybe you could get it to disable the teleportation block depending on the level of the character? Maybe it's a dumb idea, but I dislike not at least giving a suggestion to try and make it better...

Last edited by Raising_Cain on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I am loathe to let myself detract from others ideas. D:)
Raising_Cain
Raising_Cain
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Female Number of posts : 132
Main Character : Valencia Locke
NWN Username : l Xll l
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:01 am

I had another spark of an idea...

Now, I don;t know how often enemies summon creatures, nor can I vouch for anyone but myself and say that I personally don't summon creatures often..

BUT,

seeing as how summoning creatures is a form of teleportation (From what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong) shouldn't the spell Teleportation Barrier also block not dismiss, the summoning of new creatures in the area?

Last edited by evilkittenofdoom on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos, yet again)
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Kefrem Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:49 pm

Simple solution....open tlk file...edit the ai of the creatures....make them recognize the spell...and load it onto them. They would cast it themselves then.
Kefrem
Kefrem
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 755
Main Character : Ignatius and Sykee
Other Character : Shi'ssar
Other Character. : Spyder
Other Character.. : Tarn
NWN Username : Kefremthemagus
Registration date : 2008-10-06

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=688&bu=

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:42 pm

evilkittenofdoom wrote:I had another spark of an idea...

Now, I don;t know how often enemies summon creatures, nor can I vouch for anyone but myself and say that I personally don't summon creatures often..

BUT,

seeing as how summoning creatures is a form of teleportation (From what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong) shouldn't the spell Teleportation Barrier also block not dismiss, the summoning of new creatures in the area?

Now, THAT is a great idea.

If youre in a teleport blocked zone, or someone has cast telepotation barrier, it only makes sense that if extra-planar travel is cut off, that you cannot get anyone or anything in our out of the zone by
such means.

However, that being said, there is also no counter to teleportation barrier... (other than readying to counterspell which locks out taking any other actions). If it were made more powerful by this method, I think there should ALSO be a spell that can attempt to punch a hole in it... of course this would be best balanced by use of a Caster Level check... so if you don't got the spellpower juice to punch through.... you get bupkis.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:44 pm

Dispell/Mords to do away with the "area of effect" Teleportaion block? Or cast it on the block caster to do away with it?
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:54 pm

If dispelling abjurations are made to be the counter, it would requite the teleport block to be anchored somewhere as an effect... which it currently affects the whole zone, I believe.... so the abjuration scripts would need to have stuff added to make them check for wherever that variable is, and also for the caster level of the one who put it there, and then try to punch through it.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:21 am

How about making a "Magical Anchor" placable that keeps the anti-teleportation field in effect while it's around it? Give it a high damage resistance to all damage types, but still keep it somewhat vulnerable to damage so that meleers can bash through it with enough time. )Kinda like a barrier of stone with more resistances) Then give it the ability to recognize dispel checks.
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down