Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Used: Ideas for Boulder Tossing....

4 posters

Go down

Used: Ideas for Boulder Tossing.... Empty Used: Ideas for Boulder Tossing....

Post by Elhanan Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:25 pm

... besides the notion of being rocked to sleep! clown

Currently, I believe giants and other boulder tossing monsters auto-hit their opponents; no ST no Evasion either. While this makes the giants more formidable, it seems a bit off that they get both.

May I suggest that a Ranged Touch attack be used; not auto-hits? Or in the event that this may not be viable, grant a ST give Evasion a chance?

For the giants, maybe add a small AoE for the boulders, too. It seems unlikely that one could throw a massive rock into a melee without hitting those closest to the target.

Thoughts? And thanks!

Last edited by Elhanan on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Used: Ideas for Boulder Tossing.... Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Used: Ideas for Boulder Tossing.... Empty Re: Used: Ideas for Boulder Tossing....

Post by A_Vagabond Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:36 pm

I thought evasion worked? At least, in the past it did... it used to be a reflex ST. Did The Amethyst Dragon recode this? If so, I agree with Elhanan's suggestion.
A_Vagabond
A_Vagabond
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Female Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Used: Ideas for Boulder Tossing.... Empty Re: Used: Ideas for Boulder Tossing....

Post by Elhanan Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:05 pm

After paying more attention to the feedback stats and not my Health bar, there is a REF ST after all, but Evasion does not apply. For the more squishy characters, these boulders can still pile up dmg quickly; pun intended.

I still offer the suggestion for a Ranged Touch attack, or Evasion (it worked for the Orc leader in LotR), as well as AoE for surrounding targets (same film example).
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:56 pm

I like the idea.... i think it should be both... a touch attack and an aoe with a reflex save (allowing for evasion). Here is what I mean:

Enemy throws boulder, enemy makes ranged touch attack.
If touch attack hits, primary target gets no save, and others caught in area get reflex save for half (evasion applies).
If tough attack misses, primary target and all others in area get reflex for half (evasion applies).
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:49 am

I am pretty sure I have seen evasion do apply to a boulder being touched at you..
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : Célestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:59 am

Angel of Death wrote:I am pretty sure I have seen evasion do apply to a boulder being touched at you..

I have my doubts, as the PC receives damage on every hit; the reason I originally thought that there was no ST. If Evasion is applied, there would be no damage on successful saves.

And I am not really keen on the notion of possibly increasing damage by allowing no ST on a successful hit. If what the PC is receiving now is half on a save, it seems to be plenty; just add the chance that the missle might actually miss, or that the target might be nimble enough to step away from the inpact. Currently, these throws are always hitting and causing damage which is problematic esp for the hurlers that enjoy the company of buff stripping Beholders.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:23 am

Alright so I went and tested it in-game and evasion/imp. evasion does not apply to the save. Just a single reflex throw.
Funny that; heh. Was sure that I had seen it apply once. Memory can be tricky like that. . . Razz

It does however makes sense that evasion apply to the save; agile characters with the evasion/imp evasion feats would likely be quick enough on their toes to roll out of the way for the thrown boulder.
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : Célestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:47 pm

The damage potential would not be increased with my suggestion at all. It would be the same as if the save was failed and full damage was inflicted now.

And, it makes more sense.... if the hurler manages to score a direct hit, there is no "dodging" at that point.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down