Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: Now where did I put those demon wings?

+4
daveyeisley
Ramana Jala
odbo255
Eric of Atrophy
8 posters

Go down

Not Used: Now where did I put those demon wings? Empty Not Used: Now where did I put those demon wings?

Post by Eric of Atrophy Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Hey, all!

An idea - wouldn't it be cool if a demonspawn PC could choose to suppress that demon side, and look like a normal PC? Let's say it runs on integers (0=no features, 1=wings, 2-tail, etc.) - a command like ";;suppress" could reset the demonspawn feature integer to zero and reset the PC's appearance to plain looking. Of course, after rest, the system would resume, and the PC might get a tail, etc. until the next rest/suppression. Equally cool would be to give the option to ";;revert" and allow the PC's demonspawn half to come back out.

The way I see it, this would be primarily a cosmetic/RP benefit, as a suppressed demonspawn would get none of the benefits from a tail/wing, and would still take the xp penalty.

What say ye?
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Now where did I put those demon wings? Empty Re: Not Used: Now where did I put those demon wings?

Post by odbo255 Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:24 pm

As a PC demonspawn I actually see this as an adverse impact to RP for this sub-race.

The point of the randomness in ability/appearance I belive is to reflect the characteristic of the chaotic natue of the sub-race.

The PC and player can work within the limitations by:

1) Avoiding sleep when in the preferred state
2) Sleeping as much as possible until in the preferred state

odbo255
odbo255
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 459
Main Character : Fren Hilg
Other Character : Isk Mool
Other Character: Remi Ferrand
NWN Username : odbo255
DM Name : Dungeon Master Beowulf
Time Zone : PT
. : Not Used: Now where did I put those demon wings? Forum_donor
Registration date : 2012-06-22

http://member.acm.org/~jtwburton

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Now where did I put those demon wings? Empty Re: Not Used: Now where did I put those demon wings?

Post by Eric of Atrophy Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Hmmm ...

odbo255, I was just thinking in terms of options for different styles of RP/character concept, that's all. Would be nice, too, if you're regularly pressed for time, to not have to fiddle around with sleeping lots until your pref.s came up.
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Although I see the point of the chaotic unpredictable manifestation of the demonic appearance, personally I like the idea of having the control to be able to change from normalish to demonic in appearance.

Like we've seen in literature and movies, when a demon or vampire 'activates', then they go from normal looking to their monstrous appearance. I think I'd get more RP mileage out of being able to (OOC) control the change, so as to go into 'demonic' mode (or monster-face vampire mode) suddenly when RP triggered. You just don't want to make that kind of person angry, for example, because of what might happen. More surprise value, by far.

Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by odbo255 Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:20 pm

Good points in both posts.

My interpretation has one additional restriction over the description of complete control of the PC appearance - the tail is always present.

For me personally as a player, the current implementation has assisted in my *internal* RP. When Fren's appearance is other than her preferred (she prefers wings and is embarrassed by horns) having to work within the limitations further reinforces to me as the player the aspects of the nature of the characteristics of the PC.

So I guess to make this behavior universally acceptable, I would like for the sleep behavior to remain in place but wouldn't object to the addition of the VC options. This way folks who benefit from the restrictions like myself can elect not to utilize the VC, while those that prefer the player control of VC can do the opposite and immediately override whatever the current state is.

This seems like a good compromise.
odbo255
odbo255
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:23 pm

This topic has come up multiple times over the years in different incarnations...

The discussion always centers on the concept of whether it is better to deny the player full control of the demonspawn features, limited control, or no control.

In truth, as odbo pointed out, the player has control as long as they have time and patience to deal with the hassle.

I personally think it should be evaluated from the standpoint of what is gained from that hassle...

I would say nothing. I think players should have more choice and control to suit their preference to either side of the scale of control.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by odbo255 Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:41 pm

Dave, I think our posts may have crossed. Can you check my previous post and see if you agree with its points?

Feel free to refer to me by my RL name: JT (I updated my profile to list it) and it now shows in my forum info on my posts.

Last edited by odbo255 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
odbo255
odbo255
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:58 pm

Sure JT - I still think the sleep part is pointless beyond being a hassle. In your case, you can achieve the same effect in RP by using VC to give fren her non-preferred features occaisionally.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by odbo255 Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Yeah, that's true. But the point of maintaining the legacy randomness is to retain the control of the appearance (at least optionally) *out* of the hands of the player.

Perhaps a separate toggle in the VC that indicates if appearance should be randomly applied on sleep?

PS. And before it's suggested: yes I could roll a dice and execute the VC command to reflect the outcome. At that point though I think I've truly broken my illusion of disbelief in the play experience.
odbo255
odbo255
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:44 pm

I get it. It's a valid concern. I would say that most folks would be on the other side of the spectrum but your idea of having the default be randomness and the VC toggling that off is a valid compromise.

I don't assign the value to the randomness like you do, so I would rather see it gone.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:46 am

Yes, I'd love to have the random remain the default, but have an option to change it. As it really doesn't affect the PC, I can't see where this would be bad. And I know that The Amethyst Dragon has changed his mind about things in the past - the first time I asked him about player housing, he said "no way." Razz Twisted Evil
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Now where did I put those demon wings? Empty Now where did I put that demon TAIL

Post by odbo255 Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:11 am

Fren has lost her tail and going back in her gallery, I think it happened about 2-3 weeks ago and I didn't notice until now.

I thought that demonspawn always had their tails?

Not Used: Now where did I put those demon wings? Areyou10

Last edited by odbo255 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
odbo255
odbo255
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:43 am

Tails , Wings and Horns .. all appear or vanish at random each time you sleeo ... or that was the case...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:55 am

What Rusty said. Smile

At least that what I noticed when I played Bruce regularly...I usually stacks up on a couple hundred sleep potions at a time, then, if I does not get the appearance I want at the time I play, I can quickly rest up until it appears/disappears. Smile

Spoiler:
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : CĂ©lestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by odbo255 Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:34 am

I believe all three *were* random, but I could swear that the tail was revised to always be permanent.

Prior to 2-3 weeks ago Fren had *never* not had a tail that I'm aware of and she had done a lot sleeping as a lowbie. Wings, horns, wings & horns, and nothing at all, each combined with an ever present tail.

I tried searching for the post which discussed the change to the sleeping randomization for demonspawn, but can't seem to get search to return the thread I'm looking for.

EDIT: Confirmed. Fren's tail was restored by the vc command ;;tool fixmytail

What's interesting is that the loss of her tail has been persistent across many many resets.

I think I may even have the moment in which she lost her tail: when she first began to experiment with the invisible (due to a bug) stone horses. BTW, she's also discovered that the invisible stone horses can fly around with her when she's mounted, her wings are even stronger than they look I guess...

Last edited by odbo255 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
odbo255
odbo255
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Back to top Go down

Post by odbo255 Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:49 am

Angel of Death wrote:I usually stacks up on a couple hundred sleep potions at a time, then, if I does not get the appearance I want at the time I play, I can quickly rest up until it appears/disappears.

Fren never sleeps unless it's a complete crisis. She does this to avoid the humiliation of waking up without her wings or (even worse!) with horns.
odbo255
odbo255
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:22 am

odbo255 wrote:
Angel of Death wrote:I usually stacks up on a couple hundred sleep potions at a time, then, if I does not get the appearance I want at the time I play, I can quickly rest up until it appears/disappears.

Fren never sleeps unless it's a complete crisis. She does this to avoid the humiliation of waking up without her wings or (even worse!) with horns.

Well. Neither does Bruce ... That's what inn rooms / a quiet clearing is for! Razz

Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : CĂ©lestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by plumjuice Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:51 pm

I would like to add my support for a vc command(s) that allow more options i.e.
-One/two/three permanent, other(s) random
-One/two/three Permanent, other(s) disabled
-One/two/three random, other(s) permanent
-One/two/three random, other(s) disabled
-All disabled

I think that has all possibilities covered.

I understand that there is probably a huge amount of scripting that would have to happen to make this possible, and that it isn't in-line with the world lore (random features), but I think it could add more RP possiblities to demonspawn characters without detracting from those who like the randomness (I personally would like to keep the horns but have the other two cycle)
plumjuice
plumjuice
Adventurer
Adventurer

Male Number of posts : 35
Main Character : Ailindoule Frostwarden
Other Character : Cale Tucker
Other Character. : Astrid
Other Character.. : Bowen Mudlock
Registration date : 2013-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by odbo255 Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:00 pm

Previously Fren had 4 states that randomized:
Tail
Tail + Horns
Tail + Wings
Tail + Wings + Horns

Now Fren only appears to have 2 states:
Tail
Tail + Wings + Horns

This is an issue for her because her preferred state is Tail + Wings

I'm wondering if it has to do with her achieving level 40. She changed state to having horns without take a rest and hasn't been able to return to her preferred state since.
odbo255
odbo255
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:47 pm

The previous behavior with the horns appearing and vanishing was a bug I recently fixed. They horns are supposed to appear with the wings (and small speed increase...when the demonic blood is in full effect), not when it's just a tail. The more visible demonic features were always supposed to be visible at the same time (aka, when the PC gets all the benefits of the subrace, they get the horns that they can't hide from everyone else).
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by odbo255 Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:11 pm

The Amethyst Dragon wrote:The previous behavior with the horns appearing and vanishing was a bug I recently fixed. They horns are supposed to appear with the wings (and small speed increase...when the demonic blood is in full effect), not when it's just a tail. The more visible demonic features were always supposed to be visible at the same time (aka, when the PC gets all the benefits of the subrace, they get the horns that they can't hide from everyone else).

Ok, I'll start working on a RP for it, currently it doesn't match her preference to date.
odbo255
odbo255
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down