Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: Summon and teleport Gloves

4 posters

Go down

Not Used: Summon and teleport Gloves Empty Not Used: Summon and teleport Gloves

Post by RustyDios Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:13 am

I'm assuming that there is no real reason that gloves where used as the focus other than you wanted to use them... well carrying 50 sets of teleport gloves and 20 sets of summon gloves is kind of space consuming.. even when they are all held in bags (you can only fit 15 gloves in a bag).. so for the 70 gloves you can carry that's a total of a whole 2 pages and a bit of inventory or 5 bags... .... I know that the spells require a focus that has the area, x-y-z & facing stored on them... so is it possible that they be changed to be bullets in the the form of Ally Orbs and Teleport Stones.. taking up just one small square of inventory each.. and only using one page and a bit or just 2 Bags.. with all the new icon effects that you have for bullets too.. .. I mean, honestly how many people actually use a sling?... this would also mean that spellcasters could have a teleport destination "set in memory" almost all the time.. or a favorite Ally that is always "thought of"..

... also I've never managed to have near 50 different locations I've wanted to have teleport memorised across Aenea (what with the portals going to near every major town), but with the influx of new players in Aenea I would like more Ally's attuned... even more so now that magehound is availiable.. .. so is it possible to have say 35 availiable teleport 'items' and 35 ally 'items'.. ((one bag for each if ye change the size of the current 2x1 gloves to 1x1 bullets... ))...

... the only problem then is transfering the data in people's currently attuned gloves to the new bullets.. ..

... any thoughts on this idea spellcasters of Aenea..??
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : Not Used: Summon and teleport Gloves Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Summon and teleport Gloves Empty Re: Not Used: Summon and teleport Gloves

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:27 am

Unfortunately, spells don't seem to be able to handle data from the ammunition slots (as evidenced by the now-discontinued shape crystals for the polymorph self and shapechange spells). My theory is it has to do with the stackable nature of such items.

And the location data isn't actually stored on the gloves themselves, but as multiple entries in the database using the glove's unique tag and the character's name.

Those that teleport don't need to buy all 50 gloves of teleportation if they're not going to be used, since they're purchased in sets of 10.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Summon and teleport Gloves Empty Re: Not Used: Summon and teleport Gloves

Post by RustyDios Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:11 am

Hmm... okay... and anyway I just noticed that you can't assign a "Unique Power" to a bullet anyway.. so there would be no way of starting the ' attune here' conversation... if the problem with data also stems from the stackable nature of ammunition I suppose using rings is out of the question too... as they can be stacked in aenea too....

... and yes as the gloves are purchased in sets of 10 there is only need to have all 50 if ye want them.. how come only 20 summon gloves exist..??.... I'd much rather have more of them.. ..

... the original intent was just to reduce the 2x1 size of the focus item to a 1x1 for space saving convenience ... and not use something used regularly like the glove/bracer/gauntlet slot....
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:27 am

Although I can see the utility of having a bulleted teleport system, why not do the same thing on a simple 1x1 item, a small statue or something along that line? I understand the idea that RustyDios is putting forth, and I must say that I, for one, like it a lot. Nothing frustrates me more than ill-used storage space, and unfortunately, any bag that one puts the gauntlets in has that empty space in the corners. Evil or Very Mad
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:29 am

I think that the problem The Amethyst Dragon will have with it using just a normal Misc Small 1x1 statue item is that the scripting for "The Spells" (teleport, summon ally and magehound).. needs to know where you want to go.. to do this I think The Amethyst Dragon uses the glove's unique Tag and the PC name to store and retrieve a set of collected data (for the location) from the database.. for easy definition I'll imagine the script needs a "GetItemInSlot(x)" command and then uses a "GetTag(oItem)"+"GetPCName()".. style function to retrieve those results.. .. hence why I suggested bullets as they are only a 1x1 equipable item.. .. (or rings - but there seems to be a problem with using a stackable item base)...

.. however maybe with using the new player tool "select" feat it could be changed to a 1x1 Focus Gem or some such.. select focus using feat ..cast spell... I not sure if this would over-complicate The Spells though ..or if it can be done... ..
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:14 pm

RustyDios wrote:.. however maybe with using the new player tool "select" feat it could be changed to a 1x1 Focus Gem or some such.. select focus using feat ..cast spell... I not sure if this would over-complicate The Spells though ..or if it can be done... ..
Hmmm...a possibility. We'll see what I can do after I get done with the enchantment system.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:56 pm

Another way possibly is creating a new base item in the 2dA that mimics the bullets but has the stacksize set to 1 (and the ILR stacksize set to 1)... that would at least define if the problem is due to stacksize or the spell cannot grab info from that INVENTORY_SLOT_BULLET...

... I'd test this myself if I knew how to do it.. but I have no idea of the inner scriptings of The Spells and everytime I've messed with the baseitems.2dA (to create a new set of base items - not just edit props of existing ones), wierd things have happened in the toolset... ...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:37 pm

the VC system could also potentially work for this, methinks.

a caster could purchase something besides the gloves, that would allow them to use a VC command to "store" a location.... and that stored location would have a slot number.... then later, before casting the spell, the caster could check what his currently active slot was and where it pointed to, and either change the active slot, or teleport to it by casting the spell.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down