Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A thread for discussion about a new module home for us ...

4 posters

Go down

A thread for discussion about a new module home for us ... Empty A thread for discussion about a new module home for us ...

Post by Eric of Atrophy Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:57 pm

Aloha, friends!

Over the last few months, some of us have been engaged in discussions about possibly fabricating a new PW for us all to call home, especially since Aenea has seemingly gone the way of the kiwi.  The bulk of these discussions have taken place across various threads on this forum.  I am proposing that we house all of the discussions about a possible new home here.  If deemed necessary, we can even copy the existing discussions over to this thread.

This was the first post that put us on the path of this discussion.  Caldor posted it over on the Text-file friendly VC Command List(s) thread.

Caldor wrote:Gentlemen, if I may offer a suggestion, I have found that a distant second (or 10,000th) to Aenea may be the modification of a former persistent world to suit one's tastes.  I have downloaded two such modules-that-used-to-be-persistent-worlds, Lord of Worm's "Arbor Falls" and "Classic Nordock."  I believe I got both of them on the Vault but I'd be happy to send them to you in their original, unaltered states.

Alternatively, I'd be happy to share with you the modifications I've made to these modules.  If you're familiar with the Aurora Toolset (and I suspect you're far more familiar with it than I am), you could modify the modules and perhaps gain enjoyable questing.  "Arbor Falls" is a bit more challenging for me to modify because of L.O.W.'s use of a scripting system for quests that I had not encountered before.

"Classic Nordock" is much easier to modify, and its total area is vast.

Just a thought.

Caldor (Jon)

I just think that this would help to keep other threads clear of clutter, and allow those interested to more closely read the conversations.
Any thoughts, y'all?

Last edited by Eric of Atrophy on Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

A thread for discussion about a new module home for us ... Empty Re: A thread for discussion about a new module home for us ...

Post by Elhanan Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:51 am

Seems like a good notion, even if I am not a Builder.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : A thread for discussion about a new module home for us ... Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

A thread for discussion about a new module home for us ... Empty Re: A thread for discussion about a new module home for us ...

Post by Eric of Atrophy Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:56 am

Hmmm. Looking back over the conversations, turns out that I imagined that there were more of them. I'm not seeing a whole lot on other threads concerning the successor module.

Ah, regardless, if anyone has any input about the new project, feel free to leave it here, that way it's all together.

Mahalo, friends!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Vagabond Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:11 am

If only I had the time. I used to be a coder for several NWN PWs and developed scripting sets that could dynamically populate worlds and then have granular editing. Auto-transition setups. DM tools that could dynamically place objects that could be rendered permanent -- meaning a DM could permanently alter the module! Temp or permanent altering of spawns. It was so elegant! And now... I have forgotten more than I remember :-(

If only I had the time... I also used to have insomnia. No longer...
A_Vagabond
A_Vagabond
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Female Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:02 am

[Removed for redundancy.]

Last edited by Eric of Atrophy on Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:08 am

Here's a standalone post from me, talking about the old magic weapons:
Eric of Atrophy wrote:Hello, friends!
Just bumming around on the forums, and remembered something I always wanted to ask about.

I miss is the old-style magic weapons.  The swords that were normal swords until the PC popped the Unique Power, and then the weapon would have an elemental damage bonus and a vfx applied.  When The Amethyst Dragon changed them, they became swords with permanent damage bounuses/vfxs.

I always wondered if it was possible to script those weapons using the VC commands, so you would literally speak a command word to turn the powers on and off.  Tell me that wouldn't be super cool?

Mahalo,
Eric
I imagine that something like this is entirely feasible, and could probably be based, at least in part, on The Amethyst Dragon's own Hat of Disguise package, located at the Vault in this here link location.
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:12 am

Hey, just had another thought! Wouldn't it be something to pull as many of The Amethyst Dragon's resources into this project as possible? I believe he had a tonne of stuff on the Vault!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:28 am

Sorry I haven't been posting here in awhile, gang. I don't currently have a machine that will run beloved NwN, so I can't flesh out the things I'm thinking about. Maybe, though, soon (TM) ...
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:04 am

Well, friends, a bit of a good-luck lead from my eldest daughter (y'all may have know her all those years ago as InkSplatter!) - today she started her first semester at Hawai'i County Community College, and she wanted to get a laptop for school. Following a small advertisement, she found herself at Mr. K's Recycling, a vast garage-like establishment filled with refurbished electronics of all types and sizes! She settled on a 2014 Dell laptop for 85 smackers! It's a pretty decent machine, so I may be wandering down to Mr. K's at some point to poke around!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:31 am

Just a little update ... since I have a machine now capable of running NwN, I have settled on Arbor Falls (for now) as a home away from Aenea. To this end, I have been mashing Aenea's haks with the Arbor Falls mod, and have been also installing other things that improve quality of life. I am also working on one or two new modules of my own, and am revisiting some of my old, old ones. Who knows what fruits the quarantine tree will bear?

If anyone is interested, we can discuss these things in further detail here. I'm always open for discussions!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:23 am

Phew!  Who would've known that translating PCs from one world to another would be so time consuming!  Each one takes about 4 or 5 hours to craft everything correctly - I hop between Arbor Falls and the Pretty Good Character Creator several times, to fine tune each character's looks and gear and whatnot. I've got about 4 done so far. (Plus I have to find all the .bic files - they're scattered across 10 or so HDDs!) It's a good thing we're quarantined, and have nothing better to do!

I'm also thinking about using the Planeport mod and possibly converting more modules to work with Aenean assets, and making a whole hub of interconnected worlds!  We shall see!

I may take pics to show my progress with my PCs!  Stay tuned!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Skywatcher likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:24 am

Well, after much farting around in the toolset, I have managed to replicate the gloves with the container property on them.  adding amulets, bracers, boots, and belts as well!  tried to do cloaks, but that killed the toolset, and I lost an hour's worth of work.  so maybe no cloaks, we'll see.

I rebuilt the planeport module in the cep 2.65 base module, and attached the aenea haks to that.  I'm transforming the planeport module into more of a planar city setting.  As far as planeport's main draw, the ability to move between modules, i have been setting up a network of modules linked by a conversation.  there are teleport points in the planeport setting, and also in the worlds that are linked to it.  classic nordock is one of them, along with arbor falls, the world of greyhawk, the hyborian age, the pretty good character creator and customizer, and a bunch more i can't remember right now!

fun fun fun!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Skywatcher likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:06 am

The work, it continues ...
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:29 am

Still working on that module, y'all! Stay safe, we'll survive this!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Skywatcher Wed May 13, 2020 7:53 pm

Sounding good Eric. When you get to the point online and ready for other characters, post here!
Skywatcher
Skywatcher
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 551
Main Character : Velvet Stormcaller
Other Character : Skywatcher Stormcaller
Other Character. : Lyann Twiceborn
NWN Username : Skywatcher
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Fri May 15, 2020 2:42 am

Skywatcher wrote:Sounding good Eric. When you get to the point online and ready for other characters, post here!
Indeed, Skywatcher!

In the meantime, I have found a PW that I've been spending a lot of time on lately.  It's called Whispers from the Abyss, and it's pretty new!   it's an EE server, so I don't know if that's an issue ... here's the Beamdog forum post for it ... Whispers from the Abyss.  If you can, check it out.  It's a pretty good one!

I haven't posted a progress report in awhile, but I've actually begun work on the Planeport module, reworking it into my own thing.  It's loosely based around one of my Aenea PCs, Ylene, and her cross-planar adventures.  She's a background character through the module, and you get to run around a big city called Koss, skipping through planes and solving some mysteries.  I may post it to the Vault when it's done.  We shall see!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Skywatcher Fri May 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Worst news is, only Skywatcher Stormcaller is saved to my local drive, and recreating my other two characters is going to be a nightmare. Especially my 40th MagicUser with the uber gear.
Skywatcher
Skywatcher
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 551
Main Character : Velvet Stormcaller
Other Character : Skywatcher Stormcaller
Other Character. : Lyann Twiceborn
NWN Username : Skywatcher
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sun May 24, 2020 12:44 am

Skywatcher wrote:Worst news is, only Skywatcher Stormcaller is saved to my local drive, and recreating my other two characters is going to be a nightmare. Especially my 40th MagicUser with the uber gear.
Yah, I can imagine that's a pain. I've had to search across several hard drives to find all my PCs ... still haven't found them all (I need to freeze a drive to get the stuff off it).

If you're interested, I'd recommend the Pretty Good Character Creator mod to allow you build a PC from scratch! I've actually imported several of the mod's functions into my own mod!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down