Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Used: Merchants: Bartering gold vs max buy price

4 posters

Go down

Used: Merchants: Bartering gold vs max buy price Empty Used: Merchants: Bartering gold vs max buy price

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:41 pm

While I realize that capping buying prices is one way to keep some level of control on the gold in game, I think that combining price caps with limited barter gold on merchants is not such a great idea. It would be better even to have simply the buy-caps.

I already avoid doing any loot selling in shops low level characters are bound to go to (smitty for example) because of the limited barter gold. Angelina now seems to have limited barter gold as well as the gnome in macedone. I have no problems with cutting their max buy prices, but with limited barter gold, it would take either Alastair or Angelica one sell-session to completely wipe out either of those merchants with the loot from just 15 minutes of hunting due to their high appraisals. And due to their high appraisals, I can't even really 'restock' the merchants gold by buying stuff from them as they can sell an item for much more than the merchant sells it for, and I would end up buying loads of stuff I really don't want or need just to make sure other players can use the emrchant.

To me personally... not an issue. But it's placing me, and any other PCs with high appraisal in the position of having to decide whether to sell our loot and prevent other players from selling (which makes me feel like a total jackass Sad ), or just not selling anything (which kinda sucks). Lowering the buy caps even more won't be too much of an issue I would think. Many of the buy caps currently are incredibly generous, and I don't mind them so much really. I wouldn't mind them lower. 40K per 1 high end item is still a massive profit, even smitty's 7500 for a high end item looted off a monster is a massive profit. The limited barter gold just makes things unfair all around I think.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Used: Merchants: Bartering gold vs max buy price Empty Re: Used: Merchants: Bartering gold vs max buy price

Post by sevenar Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:38 am

i haven't run into problems with lady shea or the oculus in campton but it is definitely frustrating when you're level 4 and can't sell anything to darla or smitty in the vale. maybe if you want to keep things mostly as they are you could set those 2 merchants to have an unlimited supply of gold with the low buy caps they have?
sevenar
sevenar
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 112
Main Character : Sevenar
Other Character : Orson Cardoc
Other Character. : Father Tuck Frost
Other Character.. : Ender ShadowWeave
NWN Username : Miinstrel
Time Zone : Pacific (GMT - 8:00)
Registration date : 2008-11-18

http://www.RLTacapella.com

Back to top Go down

Used: Merchants: Bartering gold vs max buy price Empty Re: Used: Merchants: Bartering gold vs max buy price

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:07 am

Thanks, folks. Some changes on the way.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:07 pm

Hey, what about something like this? (Deva Bryson Winblood's Merchant in a Bottle 1.0)Question Be pretty cool to sell off your stuff in this manner - that way it wouldn't affect the other merchants barter/cap/gold limitations. : Wink

Last edited by Eric of Atrophy on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : filler!)
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:19 pm

You could always sacrifice valuable items with the sacrificial flame. You deity likes that. Smile
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down