Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Partially Used: Custom Item Voucher Merchant

+5
daveyeisley
Maeglin Dubh
MannyJabrielle
sevenar
Eric of Atrophy
9 posters

Go down

Partially Used: Custom Item Voucher Merchant Empty Partially Used: Custom Item Voucher Merchant

Post by Eric of Atrophy Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:09 am

Hi, all!

Y'know what I would love to see - a custom item voucher merchant! I know, they're supposed to be really, really special, but you can only spend your loot on so many pairs of dragon slippers. As far as cost goes, this could be cranked waaaay up if deemed necessary, to maintain balance. I mostly make this suggestion because I just got Jane's 120k reward voucher, and the next big one is some 64 hours away ... and the fact that I play literally minutes at a time, 64 hours worth will be a long, long time coming.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by The Amethyst Dragon on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Partially Used: Custom Item Voucher Merchant Empty Re: Partially Used: Custom Item Voucher Merchant

Post by sevenar Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:45 am

As awesome as this would be I think it may lead to too many (more) over-powered characters. Granted, who doesn't enjoy being immune to everything and having an AC of 85? But the stronger you become the more it takes away from the realism of the game.

Gold also isn't a very scarce resource, so it wouldn't be hard for everyone to be decked out in 160k items. (btw, is there a limit to how many vouchers can be put into a single item? IE: 220k max or something like that?)

If The Amethyst Dragon does decide to implement something like this, though, My hope is it will be something ridiculous like 800-1000k for a 20k voucher or something along those lines. Not sure what sort of gold reserves anyone else's characters are at, but at level 28, Sevenar has amassed about 400k and (from what i've encountered) the best items buyable in Aenea with maybe an hour of collecting things to sell instead of sacrificing them.

Overall I don't think something like this would be a good idea, however perhaps more opportunities to earn, rather than buy, vouchers would be a nice reward to dedicated players. I've heard rumor of them being given as prizes for good roleplay or from events or something along those lines and I think that is a much more reasonable option.
sevenar
sevenar
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 112
Main Character : Sevenar
Other Character : Orson Cardoc
Other Character. : Father Tuck Frost
Other Character.. : Ender ShadowWeave
NWN Username : Miinstrel
Time Zone : Pacific (GMT - 8:00)
Registration date : 2008-11-18

http://www.RLTacapella.com

Back to top Go down

Partially Used: Custom Item Voucher Merchant Empty Re: Partially Used: Custom Item Voucher Merchant

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:06 pm

If there was a way to check the creation date on a character file as well as timeplayed hours, perhaps the reward chests could trigger in the conjunction for characters who meet a certain ratio.

Such as 64 hours played.... but over the course of 6 months, spawn a voucher chest. If a PC has 64 hours but over the course of a shorter timespan, then they wouldn't get the chest.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by sevenar Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:17 pm

I don't think that would be fair because the people who got to 64 hours in a month put just as much time and effort into that character as the people who did it over 6 months. Perhaps there could be a second timer on voucher chests based on the time the character file was created?

IE: You would still get the 1, 2, 4, 8, etc. chests but there would be a second set of chests at 1 month since creation, 2 months, 4 months, etc. or however long a reasonable time span would be?
sevenar
sevenar
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maeglin Dubh Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:18 pm

Perhaps, the custom item merchant could only sell vouchers for items up to a certain value, and they could not be used to upgrade existing items.

I can see this being a really cool feature, allowing for on-the-fly customization (for example, a uniform of sorts for a militia could be made quickly by all the members just by purchasing a 20k voucher.)
Maeglin Dubh
Maeglin Dubh
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Number of posts : 521
Main Character : Derfel Cadarn, Warlord of Beuttleria
Other Character : Kasigi Toranaga, Serene Swordsman
Other Character. : Stan Card, Not a Crazed Marksman
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:30 am

The way the system works now, is pretty fair.

That being said, I can totally see Eric's frustration, and agree with it.

The chests are a way to reward players who stuck with Aenea (even if they have limited playtime).

I think it might be workable to have the chests spawn based on two variables... age of the character OR timeplayed, whichever qualifies first...

So... if you can only play for 10-15 minutes at a time...so you only have like 6 or 7 hours played over the course of a month, maybe at the one month mark, the 8 hour chest could be spawned for you.

At that point, you would need to either play enough to reach 16 total hours played (which is more than 8 hours away because you got the 8 hour chest at only 6 or 7 hours played), OR when your character becomes 2 months old.

One caveat I think would be good to put in would be a requirement that you must have logged enough hours to have qualified for your previous chest before your character's age will qualify you for the next one. This would be to avoid a character that has only been played for 6 hours getting the 256 hour chest because the character is 6 months old (because the player hasnt spent much of any time playing it).

Just my 2 cents.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Partially Used: Custom Item Voucher Merchant Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by sevenar Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:40 am

that was the same conclusion i had as i began reading your post davey. or perhaps they have to have played X amount of time over the last month to receive a chest or something along those lines, i think i like your idea of qualifying for the previous chest more
sevenar
sevenar
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:19 am

I like this discussion! Woo hoo! The flow of ideas! Seriously, though, I am designing Jane's 120k item now (what is it, the 64 hour chest), but am also thinking designing the gear from her 128 hour chest. I have a twinge of longing, that's all ... Cool
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:58 am

I think its it's a good idea... if just to get some custom appearances for items and descriptions from a 20k voucher, purchasable at a price 4 or 5 times higher... ... also some more DM overlooked stuff would help.. just random spawn drop an almost incridible ammount of monsters on a PC and see how it goes... ... some of my best Aenean memories are from noticing an "exploding Gorgon" out the corner of my eye.. a very memorable demi-lich filled crypt, and an almost impossible 4 strong group of draco-liches and undead horde atop the burial mound... ... whilst the items rewarded where valuble and rare.. a 20k voucher would have been nice... ... I'd even have preferred a 20k voucher over the Dragon Scale Talon Trophy... ... ..

However each new xxK item adds a new item to the game.. does this take up game resources??...

Here's another related idea... why not have a merchant that sells all the custom items people have designed.. ..for riducolous ammounts of cash... I'd love to actually see whats on Crideas' Rod of Translocation, or Angie's Armour, or a thousand other custom names that pop-up in the combat log.... ..... ..... ....
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Maeglin Dubh Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:10 pm

I wouldn't want people able to buy other people's custom items, because that kills uniqueness. A museum, perhaps, where replicas of famous custom items are put on display, but there should not be more than one Derfel's Ward running around the world. (Unless Derfel makes another shield, in which case it would probably be the Beuttlerian Bulwark.)
Maeglin Dubh
Maeglin Dubh
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Number of posts : 521
Main Character : Derfel Cadarn, Warlord of Beuttleria
Other Character : Kasigi Toranaga, Serene Swordsman
Other Character. : Stan Card, Not a Crazed Marksman
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:02 pm

Another thing I was thinking ... I don't know about y'all, but one issue I've encountered with some of my custom items ... I didn't necessarily give their composition the thought I should have, and in an effort to utilize every last gp of value, I added properties willy-nilly. Now, having used the items, I realize that 1) I don't use certain properties much, if at all, 2) said properties are interrupting the flow of the piece that I was trying to achieve [a conflict with the 'theme,' if you will], and 3) rushed descriptions have, upon reflection, not exactly achieved what I wanted to with the theme.

This is one of the big rectifications that I think a voucher merchant will help with - a fine tuning process, if you will. Even if the vouchers are only 10k additions to existing custom items, that would allow me [and folks like me] to correct the perceived imperfections in our PC's custom items.

What think you?

Last edited by Eric of Atrophy on Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:13 pm

I think both are actually a great ideas! (As ya can see in my sig I have way to much time on my hands, lol) I know Rayven's Blade of Nightkind could use a tweak or two. Especially as he gains levels. Don't get me wrong, I love the thing, and it's still my go to steel, but it could use a few tweaks.
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1119
Main Character : Sir Rayvensclaw Nightkind Leader of the Clan of Night
Paladin/Champion of Dalix/Wizard
NWN Username : Rayven Nightkind
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:32 pm

Hehe, the same with my first custom items. Alastair's vest and cape... I look at their properties now and I wonder what the heck I was thinking. hell, I even somehow managed to put spell focus illusion on two different items O_o
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:31 am

Exactly! Wouldn't it be swell to be able to amend those items?
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:39 am

Indeed it would be quite swell, lol.
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:20 am

Hint: it might pay off to send Amethyst Dragon a private message about such issues, and also a small bri... erm, donation :-D
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:04 am

I would gladly offer such a donation, if I could, but right now it's unfortunately just not possible.
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:59 am

What, daveyeisley, you don't think The Amethyst Dragon is watching our posts, monitoring everything like Big Brother (but waaaaay cooler)? I must say, though, I can see the benefits of a ... what did you say, bride? Methinks he already has one of those, and I'm partial to the one I have, so ... Laughing
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:57 am

The Dragon watches. He just doesn't always comment on every thread right away. Donations don't get you anything substantial in-game, since I don't want to play favorites like that. Smile
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:19 pm

Oh, I know. I didn't mean to imply that you *did* play favorites, I was just making a joke... which unfortunately flopped Sad

The private message suggestion was in all seriousness, though.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:53 pm

daveyeisley's joke flopping? Isn't that fodder for another thread? Laughing Razz
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Enterprise2001 Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:30 am

Bump!

I have run into several people in my short time here that wishes they could redo their custom item. Not add to it, or make it more powerful, more like tweak it to make it better fit them, Aenea, and their play style. I think a method for doing just that should strongly be considered...
Enterprise2001
Enterprise2001
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 187
Main Character : Liam Hillbender, pure epic druid
Time Zone : Eastern USA (GMT -05:00)
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:25 pm

Good idea.

Best way to handle it is in private communication with The Amethyst Dragon. He may well approve certain alterations, and then you can re-submit your items for his approval to get the updated version, sort of similar to how you would "upgrade" a custom item by adding the value of a new voucher to it.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:33 pm

For those that like the idea, I am putting a "custom item redesign" voucher into the game with the next reset. You'll just talk to Talissa Moonweaver (the owner of the Sleeping Dragon) and you can buy one.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down