Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Evil Alignment quests?

+3
daveyeisley
sevenar
Arkas Mordain
7 posters

Go down

Evil Alignment quests? Empty Evil Alignment quests?

Post by Arkas Mordain Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:53 pm

Since my character simply refuses to rescue kittens, and is only level 2, could someone point me in the direction to a Guild of Kitten Killers? Or perhaps someone in Aenea is looking for revenge against the inhabitants of an orphanage, old-folks home or needs a village destroyed?
Arkas Mordain
Arkas Mordain
Commoner
Commoner

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Back to top Go down

Evil Alignment quests? Empty Re: Evil Alignment quests?

Post by Arkas Mordain Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:10 am

No Evil alignment quests? I take it?
Arkas Mordain
Arkas Mordain
Commoner
Commoner

Back to top Go down

Post by sevenar Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:49 am

i haven't encountered any. since the big bad end boss on most servers tends to be the "destroy the world as we know it type" most of the quests end up being good.

some evil quests would be a great addition though if The Amethyst Dragon finds time amongst his myriad other things to do Very Happy
sevenar
sevenar
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 112
Main Character : Sevenar
Other Character : Orson Cardoc
Other Character. : Father Tuck Frost
Other Character.. : Ender ShadowWeave
NWN Username : Miinstrel
Time Zone : Pacific (GMT - 8:00)
Registration date : 2008-11-18

http://www.RLTacapella.com

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:19 pm

No evil quests that get put in your "journal" that I know of.

Still, if you wish to perform misdeeds and mayhem, there are plenty of goodly folk outside the Vale to terrorize, the Halfling commune being one such place. Its not an official "quest" type of deal, but it can allow you to RP being an evildoer.

As it stands, Aenea isn't against folks playing evil characters, but there is more to do for good characters.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Evil Alignment quests? Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by sevenar Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:28 pm

evil characters add a lot of interesting conflict to an RP scenario. I'm still bummed that there's no more pvp, i can think of a couple occasions where Sevenar would not have stood for someone interrupting him.

He may have to challenge Crideas to a master-of-the-arcane-arts duel sometime soon, he's gettin up there levelwise
sevenar
sevenar
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:49 pm

I look forward to it, sir.

I am sort of looking forward to when I eventually get my britches whooped off me... as I can be proud of the challenge I presented and also of the honor of having fought someone skilled enough to smack me around Smile

As for the pvp thing... some areas do still alow it... the way to tell is twofold.... upon entering an area, the server will give you a message saying that you are in a "no pvp" zone, or a "full pvp" zone.... or alternately, you can open the player list while another character is near you, and if their status is "neutral" in blue, you can pvp(thought I recommend clicking the mask to go 'hostile' to them first), and if the status is "friendly" in green, you cannot.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Evil Alignment quests? Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:22 pm

The arena is a good option as well. It may not have the spontaneity of a physical conflict that may happen elsewhere in the lands, but it's pretty easy to direct the flow of the RP out to the arena in many cases.

There's definite advantages gameplay wise to keep PvP to the arena as well. No XP debt incurred from death (a big plus), 100% certainty that if you're in the arena, you're up for dueling, and virtually no chance of accidently nuking someone passing by with an AoE.

Overall though, it would be nice to see more 'grey area' quests. A certain old booze hound with a stick is an example. It's not an 'evil' quest, and it's not a 'good' one either. It has it's consequences though (alignshift), and it's a decent moral grey to add just that little definition to a character and their choices.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by sevenar Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:37 pm

daveyeisley wrote:As for the pvp thing... some areas do still alow it... the way to tell is twofold.... upon entering an area, the server will give you a message saying that you are in a "no pvp" zone, or a "full pvp" zone.... or alternately, you can open the player list while another character is near you, and if their status is "neutral" in blue, you can pvp(thought I recommend clicking the mask to go 'hostile' to them first), and if the status is "friendly" in green, you cannot.

orly? i haven't toyed with the pvp settings at all i just took it that when The Amethyst Dragon said he disabled pvp he meant everything but the arena... well, i may get to unleash some frustration on the next unwitting passerby afterall >Very Happy

as far as evil quests go, it would be really interesting if there could be a "second prophecy" of some sort with things like "kill the king of Mountainholm Castle for the blood of royalty" or "find and slay a heavenly being (angel perhaps?)" or something along those lines and have following either "prophecy" have real consequences, like if you choose to begin the evil prophecy then everyone in the "good" towns goes hostile and you can't start the other one. i don't have an end-goal in mind for this and seeing as i haven't finished Agna Nol yet, I don't have much to compare it to.

i do realize that this is essentially a whole new mod and it would take a loooong time to create (as in probably the 1-2 years it took The Amethyst Dragon to build Aenea) but it would throw the server into an as-yet-unseen level of intricacy and awe among PWs that i've played on. I know essentially nothing about the design and scripting elements, but I think (pending Amethyst's approval) if this became a group project, a way for the Aenea community to really get involved with the molding of the continent by building zones, those who can script help with that, plot development, that sort of thing... it might go much faster.

*stops and breathes*

i've gotten extremely excited over the last couple paragraphs at the prospect of this, and i think i'm a bit ahead of myself...

so uhh, yeah. evil quests are cool!
sevenar
sevenar
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by Enterprise2001 Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:24 pm

I totally agree. There needs to be more "evil" quests to do. At the very least, some more neutral quests. It's a little silly that doing the first 3-4 or so noob quests could possibly shift your alignment so much that you can no longer level up. It happened to me playing a druid (any neutral). The quest for the cure, the aforementioned booze hound, and one other that I can't remember at the moment shifted my alignment so far towards chaotic good, that I could no longer level up as a druid. And I was only like level 3... Crying or Very sad I immediately started asking what I could that was was evil and lawful, and received a guided tour to the Cosmic Balance after a massive marathon of XP and gp collection so I could afford to change my alignment back.

It seems a little off-balance and frustrating that a new player doing the new player quests in the new player town would get such a drastic (and potentially devastating) alignment shift as that. If not for the experienced player (You know who you are. Thank you! Very Happy ) taking on the role of the patient tour guide, I might have gotten frustrated and given up on the server. The endeavor took several hours and I gained enough XP for two levels. Not exactly a minor annoyance there...

I realize writing and scripting quests is rather time consuming, but still, I feel it would probably be better to have fewer alignment shifting quests in the new player area, or balance them by having opposing alignment quests so it would be possible to do both and end up with the same alignment you started with. (If you need to shift your alignment towards X, then try quest Y.) If we put our heads together, I'm sure we can come up with something...
Enterprise2001
Enterprise2001
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 187
Main Character : Liam Hillbender, pure epic druid
Time Zone : Eastern USA (GMT -05:00)
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkas Mordain Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:03 am

a way for the Aenea community to really get involved with the molding of the continent by building zones, those who can script help with that, plot development, that sort of thing... it might go much faster.

I can script...

I'm kinda shocked, this wasn't the answer, nor the response I was looking for. I'm taken aback by the fact that there are evil only races and deities, but no quests to accommodate an evil player. Not only that, but alignment penalties as well.

The community response and ideas posted on the other hand are quite refreshing. I didn't know there was a "prophecy" quest, but having an alternate and evil quest does sound intriguing. Evil players could have an alternate starting location and a few towns scattered here and there where they can do business. I’d say restricting them from good towns; especially the smaller villages would be a good idea. However large towns should have restrictions only on an individual basis if possible. That way, they can get into town, but most merchants and townsfolk won’t do business with them.

Any progress towards evil character accommodation would be great, however small the change…
Arkas Mordain
Arkas Mordain
Commoner
Commoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:36 am

Eric of Atrophy wrote:I have yet to play an evil PC (been thinking about it[edit: have done it!]), so I'm not entirely sure what is entailed, particularly here in Aenea, but that being said ... we must bear in mind that, although people do like to play evil characters, D&D itself is inherently a good-centric system. Keeping some kind of balance would be nice for those who choose to play evil PCs, but absolute equality ... I don't see that as really possible.
I support the addition of quests/areas to help give evil PCs something to do, but I wonder how much one can expect in this avenue, because of (1 the aforementioned good-centric system, and (2 the fact that the Aenea module itself is, if I recall correctly, hovering dangerously close to the maximum allowed resources. Personally, because I only play one evil PC, I wouldn't want to sacrifice all sorts of new goodies in exchange for features that I would only experience only one quarter of the time. But that's just me. Wink
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by sevenar Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:19 pm

Eric of Atrophy wrote:I wouldn't want to sacrifice all sorts of new goodies in exchange for features that I would only experience only one quarter of the time. But that's just me. Wink

I can understand that, and I think most PCs are going to be at least neutrally aligned if not good. i personally find evil characters much more fun to play (perhaps because not many people do so it gives some variety to whatever world i'm in), but like you, i wouldn't expect a good-focused server to cease production of things to add more evil quests and such.

You're actual alignment doesn't matter much unless you are a cleric of Ragnor, so you can RP whatever alignment you want. Perhaps as a suggestion to anyone with a tinge of the dark side in them, you can play the quests as a NE character who is just doing them for the experience and monetary gain?
sevenar
sevenar
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkas Mordain Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:42 pm

the fact that the Aenea module itself is, if I recall correctly, hovering dangerously close to the maximum allowed resources.

There are ways to prolong that, and I'm sure The Amethyst Dragon knows them. He stated in another thread that he was consolodating scripts and getting rid of un-used CEP content.

I wouldn't want to sacrifice all sorts of new goodies in exchange for features that I would only experience only one quarter of the time.

Perhaps more people would play evil characters if there was some interesting story content specifically for them... And besides, alot of the neccessary resources could be shared, etc...

You're actual alignment doesn't matter much unless you are a cleric of Ragnor

Ding-Ding-Ding
Arkas Mordain
Arkas Mordain
Commoner
Commoner

Back to top Go down

Post by AmiiHale Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:00 pm

perhaps an evil quest would be a great one to put up for The Amethyst Dragon's quest submission contest...hint hint. Smile
AmiiHale
AmiiHale
Adventurer
Adventurer

Female Number of posts : 29
Main Character : Halie Davis
Other Character : Liana Wispit
Other Character. : Sila Harrower
NWN Username : AmiiHale
Time Zone : CST
Registration date : 2009-02-01

http://www.myspace.com/witchnextdoor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down