Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: Sphere of Denial

Go down

Not Used: Sphere of Denial Empty Not Used: Sphere of Denial

Post by daveyeisley Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:23 pm

Nifty concept for a spell.

Currently takes a 2nd level spell slot.

Even if it were a first level spell, I think it should have some scaling damage potential (not as good as magic missile of course because it has a secondary effect, but at least maybe 3d6 dmg at level 9 or so)

Because it is a short range, single target, level 2 spell with a secondary effect (that has a very short duration to balance its power) it should get some level scaling damage at least as much as a level 1 spell would.... I would like to recommend that the spell scale for extra damage for every two levels after 1st level (like magic missile, which is a /long/ range, single target 1st level spell with no secondary effect).

While maxxing out at 5d6 magical damage with no save to reduce the damage might seem a bit high, perhaps it could be changed to scale in increments of 1d4 magical damage instead.

This would result in a very decent 2nd level spell. Only slightly inferior to magic missile in damage, but with a secondary effect that makes it worthwhile for use in a second level spell slot.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Not Used: Sphere of Denial Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Sphere of Denial Empty Re: Not Used: Sphere of Denial

Post by daveyeisley Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:48 pm

on a related note, Stampede (3rd level spell) is in a similar boat.

Nice secondary effect... but primary damage effect is so weak it detracts significantly from the effectiveness.

Perhaps a lower maximum on # of targets to balance working in some scaling damage.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Not Used: Sphere of Denial Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum