Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Used: Character Appearance Customization

+2
daveyeisley
Wyrdwolf
6 posters

Go down

Used: Character Appearance Customization Empty Used: Character Appearance Customization

Post by Wyrdwolf Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:10 am

Having just started playing here, I don't know how much my opinion will be considered. The world has a lot of custom work put into it, which makes it spectacular. One thing that breaks my immersion though, is the lack of options for customizing the appearance of the pc. I made a half-elf, and as you know none of the heads available during character creation are particularly spectacular. But I figured that the module uses CEP 2, so I would be safe selecting a head I want once I get into play. Instead I find that I have to take a journey to Macedone and pay 5000 gp to make my character look the way I envisioned her in the first place. Needless to say, a starting character doesn't have 5000 gold, and a player who is picky about appearances may not stick around to earn it while looking at an ugly character.

My suggestion would be to put a customized version of the CEP body tailor models into the character creation area somewhere. Take off the wings and tails and glowing eyes parts of the conversation, leaving just the ability to play with heads, phenotype, colors, and tattoos. Once a character is in play they should certainly be restricted to the appearance they selected during character creation unless they get the gold together to buy a magical appearance change. But at least this way a character could start off looking how the player envisions him or her.
Wyrdwolf
Wyrdwolf
Commoner
Commoner

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-06-23

Back to top Go down

Used: Character Appearance Customization Empty Re: Used: Character Appearance Customization

Post by daveyeisley Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:25 pm

I have to agree. Always bothered me that new PCs and players were locked out of certain options such as appearance customizations due to lack of funds or inability to survive the trek....
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Used: Character Appearance Customization Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Used: Character Appearance Customization Empty Re: Used: Character Appearance Customization

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:06 am

Wyrdwolf wrote:Having just started playing here, I don't know how much my opinion will be considered.
I take all suggestions into consideration, even if I don't end up using them.
Wyrdwolf wrote:My suggestion would be to put a customized version of the CEP body tailor models into the character creation area somewhere. Take off the wings and tails and glowing eyes parts of the conversation, leaving just the ability to play with heads, phenotype, colors, and tattoos. Once a character is in play they should certainly be restricted to the appearance they selected during character creation unless they get the gold together to buy a magical appearance change. But at least this way a character could start off looking how the player envisions him or her.
Interesting. I don't use the CEP body tailor in Aenea (lots and lots of scripts are needed for it), but I can put in something custom. I've wanted to rewrite the code for the existing magical alterations shop anyway (I should be able to handle the entire thing with a single script), so I think I will eventually put in a free version for during character "creation" (in the same area as PCs pick subraces and other options) when I do get it updated.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:07 am

The small area that allows for Half-Elf customization currently might be a perfect fit. Of course, more than one booth may be needed if friends are joining the game together as a group.

May I also recommend a Aenean welcome gift of one magical pot of dye ink? It is currently difficult for lowbies to aquire.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:00 am

Elhanan wrote:

May I also recommend a Aenean welcome gift of one magical pot of dye ink? It is currently difficult for lowbies to acquire.

I quite like how the magical dye pot is hard for lowbies to acquire, it gives you something to work towards and is a nice suprise when you do find where it is on offer... but perhaps this "problem" could be resolved with a dye/ink merchant right in the leaf market ?.... Or even as part of the halfling caravan merchants stock (as they already have an item very useful to lowbies ~ the starter pack) ...

Last edited by RustyDios on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:00 am

Couldn't agree more with the addition of altering your character from the get-go is a great idea. Smile
Actually considers it one of the "drawbacks" of Aenea that you can't, all the other content weigh up for it, but it' definitely there (as a big fat minus if you will:P).

I have to agree with Rusty though, I think the magical dye kit should stay as a "great find", when you do run across it--a dye kit merchant in the Leaf Market would definitely be nice for "newbies" though (would also make sense for one to be placed near the clothing merchant Wink). king
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : CĂ©lestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wyrdwolf Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Customizing gear, or altering the look of an already established character are both things that I can see earning in play. But to start out looking like how you envision your character looking would be a great addition and not hard to do.

On that topic, if this gets implemented, would everyone get one free redo of their character appearance to make up for the lack of availability earlier?
Wyrdwolf
Wyrdwolf
Commoner
Commoner

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:16 pm

Wyrdwolf wrote:Customizing gear, or altering the look of an already established character are both things that I can see earning in play. But to start out looking like how you envision your character looking would be a great addition and not hard to do.

On that topic, if this gets implemented, would everyone get one free redo of their character appearance to make up for the lack of availability earlier?
Sure, why not. You'd just have to have a DM teleport you to the customizing chamber.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:51 pm

Suggestion used.

Used: Character Appearance Customization 3405
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down