Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OMGWTFBBQ

+2
Elhanan
Christopher Robin R2
6 posters

Go down

OMGWTFBBQ Empty OMGWTFBBQ

Post by Christopher Robin R2 Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:16 pm

This isn't IC, but it is about my adventures. Best new start EVER. So, I roll up a new character, Azaghâl Ironheart. As his name implies, this golem-obsessed dwarf starts as a Fighter, and is planning to take Ironheart and Animator. Not the greatest build ever, but flavorful. Golems galore.

So I do all the new character stuff; buy a cloak, armor, weapon. All I can afford, which was a battleaxe and some banded armor, I think. Then I head into the goblin caves to save a little girl. Halfway through the first floor I come upon maybe 15 goblins, whereupon I slaughter them. Dwarves apparently hate goblinoids so much that, as a race, we train to kill them. As I'm collecting the loot (mostly javelins, because they weigh very little but sell for 63 gp), I find a +1 crossbow... and two warhammers I can't identify. And this I find odd. Firstly, the icons don't have a different color or anything like most magic items. And secondly, I've been training Lore, and I get a bonus as a dwarf... I have a skill of 10. I can identify all the +1 items the goblins normally have. So I shrug and head back to Darla to sell the crossbow and some javelins and maybe figure out what's up with these hammers. I spend the money I make from the crossbow identifying the warhammers, which turn out to be Goblin Mind-Reading Hammers. Normally, these are nonmagical... unless fighting a goblinoid, in which case they become +3 warhammers that do extra 2d8 bludgeoning damage (They read minds... by smashing their heads open). LOLWUT? Why are goblins carrying dwarven priest of Ralth hammers made to kill goblins? Shouldn't they be carrying dwarf-smashing hammers? But oh well. I equip one and sell the other... for almost 4000 gold. Wowzers, who saw that coming? The +1 stuff usually doesn't go for much more than 1000. With this phat loot, I buy Full Plate +1, a Tower Shield +1, and an Amulet of Natural Armor +1. Now I have 25 AC, and my attack bonus nearly doubles against goblins and I do 2d8 extra damage.

So thus fortified, I head back into the cave. Having taken Iron Will and getting a bonus to saving throws against spells (it's good to be a dwarf), I shrug all their magic while caving in heads with my hammer. With my huge AC, they can barely touch me. At one point I crit a goblin for 56 damage. Picking up every group of javelins I see, as well any magic items (no more hammers, sadly), I crush my way through the entire cave and back out again, saving the girl. Yay. I manage to do so while over-encumbered by about 100 pounds slowing myself to a near crawl. However, it's likely the only time I've ever made it through the cave without dying and only resting once, at least at level 3. I do ding and hit 4 on the way out.

Upon heading back to Darla and selling my goods (still covered in goblin brains), I go from about 1000 to 7500 gold, meaning I gained over 6000 in profits from that run. I think this maybe the best start I've ever gotten on a character. I will take this as a good omen for the future.
Christopher Robin R2
Christopher Robin R2
Player with Too Much Time

Male Number of posts : 78
NWN Username : XrisRobin
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Texas)
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xrisrobin

Back to top Go down

OMGWTFBBQ Empty Re: OMGWTFBBQ

Post by Elhanan Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

LOL! Good read, and more Dwarves are welcome!
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : OMGWTFBBQ Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:32 pm

Congrats! Sometimes a successful adventure can really just make your day, eh?
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Robin R2 Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:49 am

I really kinda want to go back and write in-character a little...

More stuff. While wandering around I managed to find some Gauntlets of the Orc, for +2 strength... but then I sold them for the gold for some Soul Anchor Boots. Which is how I beat the Ant Hive... after whittling down the group to maybe 4 (including the Queen) I died, then just warped back to life and finished them. Not having to walk back from the Vale is... really handy. Also sold off my magic hammer, in exchange for a Dwarven Waraxe +1, which is more generally useful. Plus, I took Weapon Focus.

I've killed some bandits (that was actually a little difficult, because of the rogue's sneak attack), some gnolls, some half-ogres, and some orcs. Almost everything went down pretty easy, though. I did get killed by an Ankheg, because acid. Not sure what would have happened if I'd survived since a Frost Giant was also stomping his way over to enter the fight.

As noted, I picked up the rebel supplies mission while I was grabbing the Fishhead Oil stuff... after dying twice to a bugged trap, I stopped playing for a few days... lost my motivation. Feeling up to playing again though. I'll just drop the supplies and screw that quest.
Christopher Robin R2
Christopher Robin R2

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Robin R2 Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:24 pm

*sigh* So I finally logged in again to play. I was having a fairly good time and all and then... rust monster. Yeah. I don't feel like playing right now anymore.
Christopher Robin R2
Christopher Robin R2

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:24 pm

My condolences... I felt the same way after my 4th level PC got obliterated in a single round after a 20 minute circus with a Bandit Chief. I put a lot of effort and time in, and ended up just losing XP, gold, and consumables for my trouble.

I hate the rust monsters. Completely. I dont personally see any benefit to having them in game. They don't make the game more fun.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:57 pm

The problem I currently have with rust monsters is the new spawn system.. ... the old system gave clues and warnings that a rust monster "nest" was in the area, the little pop-up messages about rust on the ground outside caves and doors, and from that you could adjust your gear accordingly, knowing that when you enter the cave/open the door you are likely to find rusties ....

In some places with the new system they appear at random, ie not "contained" in their boxes.. and this IMO makes them much much more deadly... in fact I'd take any of my PC's into a floor flooded with beholders rather then face one or two rusties, with the risk of never ever getting my equipment back ....

... now if the rusties were changed so that on death you could "rip open their guts" and re-claim your gear (before they started to break it down or whatever) then this would be a different matter (and that method would require some copy-item,give-to-rustie, destroy-item-on-PC style scripting ,, which is quite possible given The Amethyst Dragon's vast scripting knowledge and newer knowledge of OnHit:Property... he'd just need to make an OnHit:Rust script, doing exactly what he wants, and create a claw/slash/creature weapon to give it to the rusties... I think ... )... .... ...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:22 pm

Where are the rust monsters that aren't appearing in the proper locations? Something is definitely wrong if they aren't contained in their proper (and properly hinted at) locations.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Robin R2 Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:28 pm

I'm not sure if there was a hint about the one I fought. It was past the Silverleaf forest, in a cave behind a waterfall. The only other thing I found inside was a single Orc Advanced Scout.
Christopher Robin R2
Christopher Robin R2

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:14 am

Christopher Robin R2 wrote:I'm not sure if there was a hint about the one I fought. It was past the Silverleaf forest, in a cave behind a waterfall. The only other thing I found inside was a single Orc Advanced Scout.

Aha, I have been to that selection a couple times. it's the only place I know of with rust monsters which doesn't contain any hints beforehand they show up.
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : Célestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum