Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Perhaps I should dig into this a bit more for NWN encounters...

3 posters

Go down

Perhaps I should dig into this a bit more for NWN encounters... Empty Perhaps I should dig into this a bit more for NWN encounters...

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Back when I was running a tabletop D&D game, I found the need to have monster stats handy for adventure planning without busting my budget.  I had the Players Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, of course.  One of my group members had the Monster Manual that he let me borrow.

Then I discovered that you could "find" various D&D book PDFs online.  And I have a copy of Adobe Acrobat. Smile

So, lots of downloading, combining, and bookmarking later, I have my "combined monster collection"...a 2101 page, 471 MB, mismatched beast of a PDF file.  I'm using it again to update The Temple of Elemental Evil (itself a 146 page PDF I found as a legit free download a couple weeks ago) to 3rd edition to play with my older two kids...so now as I use critters I'm adding notes to the collection that I can simply copy and paste.

I'm thinking I just need to pick some of my existing encounters and add a few more critters from here while browsing. Twisted Evil 

Perhaps I should dig into this a bit more for NWN encounters... Mm_cmc10
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Perhaps I should dig into this a bit more for NWN encounters... Empty Re: Perhaps I should dig into this a bit more for NWN encounters...

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:20 am

Sweet!  Yes, through use of the interwebs, I've been able to build a massive collection of RPGs I've never even heard of.  I don't play them, I just love to read them.  One of the gems of my collection - the complete line of 2nd Edition Advanced D&D.  THAC0 never looked so good!

It is very cool to have resources like that available ... are you going to post the ToEE when you get done rewriting it?  I'm sure lots of 3rd-ers would love to have a copy for the collections ...
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Perhaps I should dig into this a bit more for NWN encounters... Empty Re: Perhaps I should dig into this a bit more for NWN encounters...

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:35 am

Eric of Atrophy wrote:Sweet!  Yes, through use of the interwebs, I've been able to build a massive collection of RPGs I've never even heard of.  I don't play them, I just love to read them.  One of the gems of my collection - the complete line of 2nd Edition Advanced D&D.  THAC0 never looked so good!

It is very cool to have resources like that available ... are you going to post the ToEE when you get done rewriting it?  I'm sure lots of 3rd-ers would love to have a copy for the collections ...
2nd Edition was were I got my start in D&D. Smile  I picked up the 3rd Edition Player's Handbook at Gencon the year it came out, but stubbornly put off changing my gaming group to 3rd for more than a year (I had soooo much stuff I didn't feel like converting, and we were doing just fine with 2nd)...then I sat down and read the entire new PHB...and immediately switched.

As far as posting my 3rd Edition ToEE...no.  It's got my name on every page (digital watermark) from legally purchasing it (even though the cost was $0.00 as a promo), it's being modified for a group of 3 PCs, and it's already being used as a "live play" file, with notes added and information changed along the way (such as XP for each encounter based on current PC levels).
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:25 am

I highly recommend switching the 3E Ranger design to the NWN design; well improved, and possibly more reasonable than 3.5 alterations. And I do agree that 3E overall has been my favorite, though 4E killed any future interest in acquiring materials.

Enjoy the PnP experience, and gaming shops if you have them!
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Perhaps I should dig into this a bit more for NWN encounters... Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:22 pm

I'm digging all that I've seen of the 3/3.5 ... I've got a healthy collection of 4th ed, too, but that's just for collection purposes, as I don't care much for the game mechanics ... D & D Next is looking kinda cool, at least based on the playtest information I've been able to gain ...

I just like to collect RPGs!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:55 pm

I don't actually have all of the pages of all of those books pictured above.  I just stripped out the creature pages to put into my collection.

I don't actually use much in the way of the plethora of prestige classes or alternate mechanics in my PnP game.  I've found that with some character choices and roleplaying, a player can pretty much create any sort of character using the base 3rd edition game rules (PHB & DM Guide).

Just look at the basic fighter class...you can have an expert archer, dual wielding master, greatsword swinging behemoth, arabian style scimitar dervish, armored knight with classic longsword and shield, cavalier, stealthy infiltrator (yes, even without rogue levels), military leader, swashbuckling hero, pirate captain, gladiator, fencer, unassuming master of the staff, bare-knuckle brawler, complete tank (with heavy armor, tower shield, high hitpoints), assassin with the deadly stiletto (yes, even without assassin levels)...and that's just scratching the surface of one base class without any multiclassing, prestige classes, or reliance on specialized magic items.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:21 pm

I have not really gotten into much of the Kits or PrC's the early systems provided for just that reason; much prefer to try and design my own m/c designs for special purposes.

However, I am addicted to a well told story, and loved to collect ideas. Al-Qadim was one such setting; simply rid most of the Genies as being overpopulated , and enjoyed the Arabian-esque tales that were available.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Perhaps I should dig into this a bit more for NWN encounters... Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:42 pm

Elhanan wrote:...Al-Qadim...
Just the environment for that multitalented warrior known as Jenar ik Fatir. Cool
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum