Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mar. 3, 2014: Magic Item Creation Update

5 posters

Go down

Mar. 3, 2014: Magic Item Creation Update Empty Mar. 3, 2014: Magic Item Creation Update

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:47 am

I'm in the midst of updating the system in place for enchanting of permanent magical items, such as jewelry, weapons, and clothing.  I don't have an exact date on when the changes will take place, as I'm currently doing data entry so that Excel can write a huge chunk of NWScript and HTML for me.

There will be a few big changes with such items...

1) Basic item creation will use a wizard/magical laboratory workbench, much like the crafting tradeskills now do.  Component items will get added to the workbench, the VC command will be given, and the components will be replaced by the finished item (provided the spellcaster has enough gold and has the proper spell(s) ready for casting).

This method is easier on the server, since it only requires that the game search through the workbench's inventory, rather than the multiple hundreds of items PCs often carry.

For straight up initial creation/enchantment, the costs in gold and XP will be listed right on the tables with the item names, VC commands, and require spells and components.

2) Spellcasters will be able to upgrade ("empower") existing items with multiple properties.  The exact types of properties will depend on the type of item to be upgraded, and there will be total item GP value limits based on the caster level of the spellcaster.  This means that a sword will be able to have a PC caster add more than just an enhancement bonus to it, and a 40th level wizard will be able to add more to that sword than a Ftr 10/Clr 10/Wiz 20.

This will combine the Select feat/tool with simple VC commands (since components won't be needed for this part, just gold and XP).

There are not preset costs in gold and XP for empowering/upgrading items.  The total finished value will be calculated on the fly, then the gold will be taken and XP debt added.  If the final value of the item is beyond the limit of the spellcaster  (5k per caster level), the upgrade will not happen and the spellcaster will incur no costs.

3) The VC commands will change.  Instead of compact code for each item type and specific item, it'll just be a plain language version.  Slightly more typing, but much easier to remember.  The "mi" is just short for "Magic Item".  Example VC commands:
;;mi create ring of lesser regeneration
;;mi create amulet of fitness

;;mi empower flaming
;;mi empower ac vs. demon +2

There will, of course, be complete lists on the website.

4) Magic item creation will no longer require Craft Armor or Craft Weapon ranks.  The items have already been made...the spellcaster will just need the item creation feats (Enchant Arms & Armor, Enchant Items, and Forge Jewelry) for these things.

So far, I've done the data entry for creation of 62 items (amulets and 3/4 of the rings).  The resulting website tables will be easier to read than the current forum format.  Gotta love Excel and the concatenate function. Smile

Last edited by The Amethyst Dragon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Mar. 3, 2014: Magic Item Creation Update Empty Re: Mar. 3, 2014: Magic Item Creation Update

Post by RustyDios Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:33 am

Sweet!

Will the list of player added "empowerments" be like the list of DM upgrades? (In terms of what is available to be added?)

Will there be things that say only a Ranger could add to a weapon (like the properties from the Dragonbow spell to a bow) that a Cleric or Wizard won't be able to... or will it be based purely on Caster Level?

How about if the PC is a hybrid Clr20/Wiz20 attempting to use a spell that both classes share?.. do they get counted as a 20th level caster or a 40th?..

Does the caster level come from the highest available caster class or a combination of all caster classes ? OR does work it like level-enchantable items like scrolls with ;;mi class ?
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : Mar. 3, 2014: Magic Item Creation Update Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Mar. 3, 2014: Magic Item Creation Update Empty Re: Mar. 3, 2014: Magic Item Creation Update

Post by MannyJabrielle Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:42 am

Plain language codes!?

YAHOOO! :-D
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:11 am

RustyDios wrote:Sweet!

Will the list of player added "empowerments" be like the list of DM upgrades? (In terms of what is available to be added?)

Will there be things that say only a Ranger could add to a weapon (like the properties from the Dragonbow spell to a bow) that a Cleric or Wizard won't be able to... or will it be based purely on Caster Level?

How about if the PC is a hybrid Clr20/Wiz20 attempting to use a spell that both classes share?.. do they get counted as a 20th level caster or a 40th?..

Does the caster level come from the highest available caster class or a combination of all caster classes ? OR does work it like level-enchantable items like scrolls with ;;mi class ?
The list will be more limited than the one available to DMs. As an example, here's what will be able to be added to melee weapons (copied from my "working notes"...aka, subject to change slightly as I go):

AC Bonus (+1 per 5 levels, max +3 at 15th)
Attack Bonus (+1 per 3 levels, max +5 at 15th)
Attack Bonus vs. Alignment (+1 per 3 levels, max +5, clr/drd)
Attack Bonus vs. Racial (+1 per 3 levels, max +5, sor/wiz)
Base Item Weight Reduction (1 stage per 5 levels 80/60/40/20/10)
Bonus Feat: Alertness
Damage Bonus (1d6, acid/cold/elec/fire/sonic)
Damage Bonus vs. Alignment (1d6, acid/cold/elec/fire/sonic, clr/drd)
Damage Bonus vs. Racial (1d6, acid/cold/elec/fire/sonic, sor/wiz)
Damage Resistance (5/10, acid/cold/elec/fire/sonic)
Enhancement Bonus (+1 per 4 levels, max +5)
Enhancement Bonus vs. Alignment (+1 per 4 levels, max +5, clr/drd)
Enhancement Bonus vs. Racial (+1 per 4 levels, max +5, sor/wiz)
Extra Melee Damage Type
Holy Avenger (LG clr of Dalix only)
Immunity: Misc (fear)
Keen
Light
Massive Criticals (1d6)
Visual Effect
Use Limitation: Class/Race/Alignment Group

Rangers...Nothing specific to rangers, but would be a good idea for things like enhancement vs. racial types (what with the whole "favored enemy" thing).  A couple of properties will be sor/wiz or clr/drd only.  One will be really limited (lawful good cleric of Dalix only...yes, only a cleric can make a true Holy Avenger).

The Clr20/Wiz20 would have a caster level of 20 (just like when creating a wand/potion/scroll).  It works off the exact same variable as ;;mi class.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:28 am

Question on the non-stacking properties such as attack bonus and attack bonus vs XYZ...  They look to progress at the same levels, so will the more restricted bonus vs race/align be significantly cheaper to pull off?

It would make little sense to even add those options if they would cost the same as the basic attack/enhance bonus as they don't stack.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:07 pm

Holy avenger... I can see the reason for the restriction but I also think a LG Paragon Paladin should have this ability as well.. after all they have devoted their entire life/career in service to Dalix and the Paladin does get the "Holy Sword" spell (whereas the cleric doesn't).

I'd also agree with MJ about the vs. XYZ enhancements, if the cost isn't cheaper there would be no reason to use them. I think rangers having the ability to enchant against racial type would be a good idea, but with an extra check to see if it is one of their favoured enemies (check for feat ID? )...

This list is looking super sweet already Smile Smile
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:50 pm

If the attack bonus / AC vs. racial/alignment types are normally cheaper than the all-enemy versions, then they will be for this system, too.  The costs will be tied directly to the GP values of the finished/upgraded items.

I'm purposefully leaving the Holy Avenger property to the clerics of Dalix.  Paladins may be the holy warriors of Dalix, but her clerics are the most devout of her followers and have the closest bond with their deity. Yes, paladins do get the holy sword spell already, but they're the wielders of the holy avengers, not the ones that can do the "super blessing" to make such a powerful permanently divine weapon.

Still, if you know a powerful cleric of Dalix...holy avenger warhammer, anyone?  How about a holy avenger greataxe? Smile
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:52 pm

Audrey will stick with her Luminaria Razz

Although I want a holy avenger butterknife.... just for how silly it would be.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:19 am

Work is progressing on this.

I've done coding for 448 "predesigned" items and set up what I need to produce a page for the website with tables listing all the required info on those items (name, VC command, components & spells needed, costs, min. level).

Now I'm on to writing code for adding properties to existing items.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:26 pm

I stumbled into that creation area ... dude, it's sweeeeeeet! I like how the non-visual items are spawned in an inventory (although I was able to actually purchase one of the examples) ... utilizing it, my ranger was able to bedazzle most of her blah items - rings, amulets, etc.

Good show, boss!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:17 pm

I did that too the first time I went down there! Accidentally bought a display ring... couldn't sell the thing back either! It was close to a reset in the middle of the AM so I didn't feel too bad about the goof though Smile

And yeowza.... 400+ items? Looks like I'll be making *many* new books for the new adventurer's academy soon Very Happy
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Urgh ... I keep thinking about how neglected my Text Friendly VC list is, and how I don't have the energy to update it yet ....
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:34 am

A question, The Amethyst Dragon ... is there going to be boot appearance crafting, like there is for belt/amulet/ring, etc? Looks like there's enough space on the map for an arm devoted to boots (and it's the only equipment item that's missing from the appearance crafting options) ...
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:36 am

Another question - how possible would it be to make belt containers craftable? I tried, but it kept giving me the "item and selected appearance are not the same thing" message ...
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:37 am

Oh, and I love the fact that it's all with one vc command - ;;craft design ! That's just genius! And easy on the quickslots, too!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:41 pm

I could see boots as being a bit of a pain because they have 3 icon parts, not just 1 like rings, amulets and belts. It would be great if those could be modified (AND keep the aenea special properties functional, such as the striding and springing boots, boots of belaruskawhosits, boots of levitation.... ect).

Belt containers.... yes, would be great. Just be sure that if this does go in, to have a warning text present to remind players to EMPTY the belts first so as not to lose the stuff inside Smile

(and.... add some of the missing helmets to the helmet room. The "hood" model isn't in there, nor any of the mask type helmets, like the human, orc, troll, imp, or werewolf head mask models.)
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:32 pm

Yeah, forgot about that 3 icon part ... oh well, one can dream, yes?
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Coding for adding properties to ("empowering") existing items.  I just finished with melee weapons...562 possible properties.  Rolling Eyes 

Now on to coding for other item types.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:22 pm

For what its worth, I think your work on this addition is simply a triumph, The Amethyst Dragon. So far has worked beautifully for me. Very impressive!
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down