Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: PC Jobs/Message Board

+3
RayvenNightkind
daveyeisley
Enterprise2001
7 posters

Go down

Not Used: PC Jobs/Message Board Empty Not Used: PC Jobs/Message Board

Post by Enterprise2001 Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:44 am

I think it would be great if PCs could leave messages and items for each other. That way, a PC with some crafting skill could post a note something like this:

If you leave me a large bone and 100 gp, I will craft a Wand of Cure Serious Wounds for you.

A PC could read that message, seriously need a wand of Cure Serious Wounds, and leave the requested items. When that crafting PC logs on, he/she gets a notice that there is a message waiting for him/her. He/She goes to the message board/post master/whatever, get's the message, makes the wand and leaves it for the PC that requested it.

Players could also leave questions for help or other information. (I need an item swapped out. Where is ____? How do I ____? etc.) DMs or other designated experienced players could then respond.

This could also be used for as a player vendor of sorts: items could be left "for sale" with a price on them, and other players could come by and buy them. (How often have you gotten a pretty nice item, but couldn't use it? It's happened to me already a few times and I've not been playing long.) Part of the sale price would be "kept" by the NPC or whatever as payment for services, say 20%?

This would allow the more experienced players to help new players without needing to be logged in 24/7, help stimulate a player economy and sense of community, and generally be an all around good thing. Smile

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Enterprise2001
Enterprise2001
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 187
Main Character : Liam Hillbender, pure epic druid
Time Zone : Eastern USA (GMT -05:00)
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Not Used: PC Jobs/Message Board Empty Re: Not Used: PC Jobs/Message Board

Post by daveyeisley Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:26 pm

Sounds like a great idea Smile

Also sounds like a lot fo work. If it can be done, you can bet The Amethyst Dragon will look into it, but it may take a lot of time before he gets to it... he already has a list a mile long of stuff to work on Smile
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Not Used: PC Jobs/Message Board Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Enterprise2001 Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:36 pm

A quick search on the vault has reviled it been done several times. (At least the message board part.)

A quick (and incomplete) list:
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Prefabs.Detail&id=106
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=2062
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=102
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=229
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=1275
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=1927

That last one is a script pack that includes an emote wand, which is something I think would be well received on Aenea.
Enterprise2001
Enterprise2001
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:53 pm

not sure if anybody has explained about the variable chat system, but there is a large list of emotes and even custom emotes currently available.

to learn more just chat "vc help" without the quotes.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Enterprise2001 Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:08 pm

daveyeisley wrote:not sure if anybody has explained about the variable chat system, but there is a large list of emotes and even custom emotes currently available.

to learn more just chat "vc help" without the quotes.

That's great and all, but I'm talking about leaving messages for people that are NOT online. Is there a PM function in the VC system that I missed?
Enterprise2001
Enterprise2001
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:32 pm

I think he was talking about the emote wand, but don't quote me just in case there is something I may have missed in the vc commands.
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1119
Main Character : Sir Rayvensclaw Nightkind Leader of the Clan of Night
Paladin/Champion of Dalix/Wizard
NWN Username : Rayven Nightkind
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:43 pm

Emote wand. I don't know of any message leaving system with the VC commands either.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:55 pm

I haven't either that's why I said just in case I missed something.
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:49 am

Just leaving a message for nobody in particular on this here electronic message board thingy...

hehe...I'll have to look into in-game messages later.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:53 am

The Amethyst Dragon wrote:Just leaving a message for nobody in particular on this here electronic message board thingy...

hehe...I'll have to look into in-game messages later.

lol! You funny man sir, yes you are!
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:08 pm

Yeah, I was talking about the emote wand being mostly uneccessary due to the vc system

As for leaving messages, as these forums are the best place to recieve "Official" updates and information about Aenea, and they ALSO allow for private messaging, the only thing I really see as lacking that would be cool to have is some sort of way to trade items between accounts for folks who arent online.... but I can see this also being abused... unless its tied to public CD keys, then maybe not so much.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Enterprise2001 Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:23 pm

daveyeisley wrote:As for leaving messages, as these forums are the best place to receive "Official" updates and information about Aenea, and they ALSO allow for private messaging, the only thing I really see as lacking that would be cool to have is some sort of way to trade items between accounts for folks who arent online.... but I can see this also being abused... unless its tied to public CD keys, then maybe not so much.

I'll be honest: I'm not really a big forum person... I could easily go days, weeks, even months between visits. I probably wouldn't be here now if it weren't for me finding a bugged item and everyone telling me *I* had to report it. The fact that the server crashed and didn't come back up is keeping me here at the moment. Smile And I didn't actually check here, but it's been my experience that only a small fraction of the players on a server bother with the forums. Regardless, I was looking at it as a way to get things done in-game:items crafted or enhanced, coordinate party creation and questing, RPing, leave requests for help, etc. Conceivably, one could leave a note for a DM and they would be notified of it when they log in?

As for it being abused, I thought about that too. I didn't check, but couldn't I just drop an item on the ground, log out, log in another character and then pick the item up? And even then, what's to keep me from having more than one account/CD key if I really want to be dishonest? Or even having another character hold an item for you...? Even so, isn't the impact of this kind of abuse already mitigated by the minimum level requirement on many items?

Or, was there some other form of abuse you were thinking of?
Enterprise2001
Enterprise2001
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:04 pm

As far as dropping a item and then relogging to pick it up, that isn't possible, as soon as you log out the item that was dropped is gone, I just can't remember who it was that told me that, because I have dropped things before because of a full inventory and in my search to find them I was asked if I had logged out, thankfully I hadn't and wasn't gone from the area I dropped said item for the cleaner script to kick in and was able to retrieve it. And for the rest, I shall leave the floor open to someone who may be able to better respond.

*Edit*
Although I do like the idea of a message post or some such, would be nice to see something along these lines implemented in game.
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by sevenar Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:20 am

RayvenNightkind wrote:As far as dropping a item and then relogging to pick it up, that isn't possible, as soon as you log out the item that was dropped is gone

That's not true, I've done it on a couple of occasions
sevenar
sevenar
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 112
Main Character : Sevenar
Other Character : Orson Cardoc
Other Character. : Father Tuck Frost
Other Character.. : Ender ShadowWeave
NWN Username : Miinstrel
Time Zone : Pacific (GMT - 8:00)
Registration date : 2008-11-18

http://www.RLTacapella.com

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:52 am

Enterprise2001 wrote:
daveyeisley wrote:As for leaving messages, as these forums are the best place to receive "Official" updates and information about Aenea, and they ALSO allow for private messaging, the only thing I really see as lacking that would be cool to have is some sort of way to trade items between accounts for folks who arent online.... but I can see this also being abused... unless its tied to public CD keys, then maybe not so much.

I'll be honest: I'm not really a big forum person... I could easily go days, weeks, even months between visits. I probably wouldn't be here now if it weren't for me finding a bugged item and everyone telling me *I* had to report it. The fact that the server crashed and didn't come back up is keeping me here at the moment. Smile And I didn't actually check here, but it's been my experience that only a small fraction of the players on a server bother with the forums. Regardless, I was looking at it as a way to get things done in-game:items crafted or enhanced, coordinate party creation and questing, RPing, leave requests for help, etc. Conceivably, one could leave a note for a DM and they would be notified of it when they log in?

As for it being abused, I thought about that too. I didn't check, but couldn't I just drop an item on the ground, log out, log in another character and then pick the item up? And even then, what's to keep me from having more than one account/CD key if I really want to be dishonest? Or even having another character hold an item for you...? Even so, isn't the impact of this kind of abuse already mitigated by the minimum level requirement on many items?

Or, was there some other form of abuse you were thinking of?

The reason the forums are the "Official" place for Aenea related comminication is because this is the easiest, least time consuming way for The Amethyst Dragon to post updates for the community. It also allows us to do other useful features like private messaging and screenshot sharing. I don't see it as unreasonable to expect that these forums be used by folks who are interested in communicating with the community. Sure, they can't be used in-game, but the extra 30 seconds it takes to load up the web browser to pop on here definitely seems a worthwhile trade-off to the work involved for The Amethyst Dragon to add in a message board and scripts that would then require him to go back to posting relevant updates in two places. Its also important to use the forums as this is the only place to get updated info and specific details when The Amethyst Dragon modifies the files needed to log into the server.
All the features you have mentioned are of interest to you can be accomplished through these forums, and they are easier for The Amethyst Dragon to maintain than an in-game system.

The item transferring option is the only thing that isnt available here. When one drops an item on the ground and logs out, the cleaner script destroys the object on the ground. It may be possible if one relogs quickly enough they may be able to catch the item before the script destroys it, but I can say with absolute certainty that the script does delete unattended objects left on the ground. It has happened to me. As for there being some NPC depository to leave items for anothger character... its a nice idea (though I am not of the mind it is a critical priority, it would just be nice), the folks who decide to have more than one account and try to transfer items between them can be caught by DMs.... as can the folks who try to do it with only a single account... but the idea is for the DMs to not be required to have to "police dog" the server. Tying such a system to public CD keys requires the dishonest player to either spend additional money, or break copyright laws... and that seems like a reasonable deterrent to such dishonesty in my mind.

Having another player "hold" an item for you doesn't strike me as dishonest. You have to rely on that player to deal honestly with you, and maybe even have to RP with them just to convince them to help you. The Item level restrictions in Aenea are not bioware standard. They are a custom system designed by The Amethyst Dragon, and not every item has an ILR... while he has plans to change some items to ILR for balance reasons, its not something he sees as needing to be universally applied.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:56 pm

This here thread is starting to get into some sticky ground. There are just way to many variables, and I'm of mind to believe Dave is on the best track.
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Enterprise2001 Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Whoa, whoa, whoa, back the train of curt words up. We have seriously digressed from my original suggestion here.

daveyeisley wrote:
The reason the forums are the "Official" place for Aenea related communication is because this is the easiest, least time consuming way for The Amethyst Dragon to post updates for the community. It also allows us to do other useful features like private messaging and screenshot sharing. I don't see it as unreasonable to expect that these forums be used by folks who are interested in communicating with the community. Sure, they can't be used in-game, but the extra 30 seconds it takes to load up the web browser to pop on here definitely seems a worthwhile trade-off to the work involved for The Amethyst Dragon to add in a message board and scripts that would then require him to go back to posting relevant updates in two places. Its also important to use the forums as this is the only place to get updated info and specific details when The Amethyst Dragon modifies the files needed to log into the server.
All the features you have mentioned are of interest to you can be accomplished through these forums, and they are easier for The Amethyst Dragon to maintain than an in-game system.

Ok *takes a deep breath*...

- I never suggested an in-game messaging system replace announcements of updates and server changes. You are right, it would be silly to post them in two places.

- I didn't actually suggest private messaging, I just noted that one of the in-game messaging systems I found included it. I was just trying to be helpful in pointing out that it has been done before and my not be as much work as it sounds. Perhaps I stepped out of line there, I don't know... If so, I apologize.

- No, it's not unreasonable to ask that people interested in the server and its community use the forums. Unfortunately, it doesn't generally happen in reality. Of the 82 accounts registered here, only about 30 or so have logged on in the last month and 5 have NEVER logged on.

daveyeisley wrote:
The item transferring option is the only thing that isnt available here.

That was pretty much the main reason I made this suggestion. I was on with someone (Rick, something I believe) who offered to make me some curing wands if I helped him collect bones and knuckles. I was called away from the game by RL before he could make me the wands, and in the day and a half or so before the server crashed, I did not see him online again. That's when I wished I could leave the stuff for him somewhere and he could make them when he was on again and then leave the finished wands for me.

Come to think of it, didn't I see a DM running a quest that could benefit from such a feature? Oh, yes, here it is...

daveyeisley wrote:
When one drops an item on the ground and logs out, the cleaner script destroys the object on the ground. It may be possible if one relogs quickly enough they may be able to catch the item before the script destroys it, but I can say with absolute certainty that the script does delete unattended objects left on the ground. It has happened to me.

I have some possible thoughts on how to "beat" the cleaning script to swap items between characters on the same account. If he wants to hear them, PM me.

daveyeisley wrote:
As for there being some NPC depository to leave items for another character... its a nice idea (though I am not of the mind it is a critical priority, it would just be nice), the folks who decide to have more than one account and try to transfer items between them can be caught by DMs.... as can the folks who try to do it with only a single account... but the idea is for the DMs to not be required to have to "police dog" the server. Tying such a system to public CD keys requires the dishonest player to either spend additional money, or break copyright laws... and that seems like a reasonable deterrent to such dishonesty in my mind.

Having another player "hold" an item for you doesn't strike me as dishonest. You have to rely on that player to deal honestly with you, and maybe even have to RP with them just to convince them to help you. The Item level restrictions in Aenea are not bioware standard. They are a custom system designed by The Amethyst Dragon, and not every item has an ILR... while he has plans to change some items to ILR for balance reasons, its not something he sees as needing to be universally applied.

Ok, so the ability to swap items would be nice, glad we established that. We've also established that it could be happening, "honestly" and "dishonestly" already, and ways to prevent people abusing an item swapping system. (Tied to public CD keys.) May I also suggest that this proposed system create another way to "honestly" swap items between characters. (And thus, discourage the "dishonest" methods.)

Consider the following scenario:

Character A on Account X is hacking and slashing his way through Aenea and finds an interesting item. Upon examining the item he finds that he can't use it do to class, alignment, level restriction, etc. He also realizes that he has another character, Character B, that would find the item useful.

Character A takes said item to the NPC item swapper and tells him that he wants to leave the item for Character B. The swapper notes that the destination character is on the same account as the sending character. This forces the COD (Cash On Delivery) flag to be set on, and the price is forced to the base price of the item plus a commision for the swapper. (Or whatever price seems reasonable and balanced. Maybe even appraise checks in there?) (This is assuming of course that sending items to characters on other accounts can be sent for free, or only with a small fee paid by the sender, or by a COD price set by the sender, etc.) Character A then logs off.

Character B on Account X is logged on, goes to the NPC swapper and asks if there is anything for him. The NPC swapper replies that there is a COD item waiting for him and what the price will be. Character B agrees to pay the price, assuming he has it, looses the gold and gets the item. Character B goes on his marry way with his sexy new item...

Character A on Account X then can log on at some later date and collect his money from the NPC swapper (minus whatever fee the swapper takes of course)

Now, it occurs to me that you could already do this with any NPC vendor that will purchase the item to swap. (I think, haven't actually tried it...) But such a swap is rather risky (someone else buys it, lost due to server reset, etc), not to mention unpredictable (cost could fluctuate wildly depending on how appraise checks roll, etc.).

IMO, this seems reasonable to me...

Now, unless someone has something constructive to add to this idea/suggestion, like possible pros/cons, likes/dislikes, possible ways of exploiting, etc, that would help Amethyst Dragon decide whether or not to explore implementing such a system, I suggest that we just let this idea sit here and cool down until the Dragon himself weighs in.
Enterprise2001
Enterprise2001
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:52 pm

How many of those 82 accounts on the forums log in game on a regular or semi regular basis?

From what i've observed, we have an average high of 10 to 12 players logged in. The last login stats for the members list shows 28 people logged onto the message boards in the last month. Those numbers point rather to a very vigorous use of the forums rather than the suggested disuse of them. It may be true for other servers, but Aenea isn't the typical server.

An in-game message board would be nice, but as noted, for ease, the forums are here, and are easier to make use of/keep track of messages than an in-game message board would be.

I personally would probably not make much use of an ingame message board. Honestly, when logged into the game, I don't want to spend time reading messages.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Maeglin Dubh Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:05 pm

MannyJabrielle wrote: Honestly, when logged into the game, I don't want to spend time reading messages.

This.
Maeglin Dubh
Maeglin Dubh
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Number of posts : 521
Main Character : Derfel Cadarn, Warlord of Beuttleria
Other Character : Kasigi Toranaga, Serene Swordsman
Other Character. : Stan Card, Not a Crazed Marksman
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:26 pm

Enterprise2001 wrote:Whoa, whoa, whoa, back the train of curt words up. We have seriously digressed from my original suggestion here.

Sorry if you felt I was coming across as curt. I know we don't know each other very well, so its understandable if it seemed that way to you. Was not my intent.

I was trying to be brief. Seems we will have to disagree on most of the points.

The Dm quest thing still requires me to catch the player online to verify infortmation and give them the item, I would rather not automate that and have to redo items due to miscommunication and mistakes. In game message boards wont help me with that.

Manny is correct that the active player base pretty much all use the forums here. This is best because it creates a single point of contact for all players and staff that is available from places that may only have web access but where NWN may not be available.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down