Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brand new player.... just 1 question so far

+6
Arturus
RustyDios
daveyeisley
Ceorlas
MannyJabrielle
ThorGar OakenShield
10 posters

Go down

Brand new player.... just 1 question so far Empty Brand new player.... just 1 question so far

Post by Diemex Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:28 pm

I browsed forums and saw nothing on this so I thought I'd ask. I have NwN updates with the expansions... I have CEP2.2c and the 2.2 creatures addition. (I renamed it 2.1) I also have the Aenea HAK and TLK files with the updates.

It looks like everything is installed and I was able to explore a bit. Killed some kobolds..... bought some stuff.

But the graveyard poses a problem for me, when I enter 'Skeletons' will spawn but I can only see their name if I hit TAB key. I cannot target them in anyway and they are completely invisible to me. When they attack me...if im lucky my character will auto-attack back, but if i break combat I cannot start it back up because they are unselectable and do not appear on my screen.

I'm not sure if thats intended or not... but I'm guessing not... because last I checked... skeletons were not invisible nor did they hide or use stealth.

Any ideas on whats behind this ?
Anonymous
Diemex

Back to top Go down

Brand new player.... just 1 question so far Empty Re: Brand new player.... just 1 question so far

Post by Diemex Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:18 pm

Just wanted to add that I noticed there is probably a few other issues as well.

When I die... I'm told to walk to the symbol above the dias. I can see the dias... but there is no symbol there.

Also out in the plains somewhere I found a circle of stones.... the map had a pin marker that said "A huge sword" so I suspsect a bit sword or something was supposed to be in the center there... but for me I saw nothing.

I think for whatever reason some textures are not showing or something.
Anonymous
Diemex

Back to top Go down

Brand new player.... just 1 question so far Empty Re: Brand new player.... just 1 question so far

Post by ThorGar OakenShield Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:41 pm

HI there and Welcome to Aenea!

I can help with these questions. The 'invisible' skeletons (and other creatures for that matter) is some kind of issue with NWN not specific to this module. I've had it happen in quite a few mods. I don't remember the specifics of it, but there was a post about it here somewhere that I can't seem to find ATM.

The symbol above the dias is actually the symbol on the dias for the god of death, Zolaras. Zolaras

Ah the sword, I didn't see the sword for quite some time. It does appear there, but it isn't indestructable and someone probably bashed it. It should return with the next server reset.

If you have any questions in game feel free to ask.

Talon Oakenshield
ThorGar OakenShield
ThorGar OakenShield
Adventurer
Adventurer

Number of posts : 37
Main Character : Talon OakenShield
NWN Username : ThorGar OakenShield
Time Zone : GMT -5:00
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:07 pm

The thread in the bug reports forum.

Also, if you have area of effect spells, they will still hit the invisible appearance enemy. And if you don't have any area effect spells, *sometimes* running around the enemy may provoke an attack of opportunity on you, to which your character will respond to by engaging that enemy.

It's a hassle, but thankfully not very common situation.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceorlas Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:11 pm

I posed a similar question re Invisible / Non-rendered Enemies plus Non-rendered NPCs on another server. Try this link for the full post.

http://markshire.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3923

The relevant portion of the answer is here:
"On to the Invisible Stalkers of the game. This
is a rendering issue with NWN1. It has never been addressed because
it's a multiplayer issue and BioWare never cared to check on it. I
checked 1.69 and that doesn't address it either. Basically, the
rendering engine (Aurora) skips a beat on spawned creatures when YOU
are experiencing lag.

The best thing to resolve this from your end ... Update your graphic
drivers. Update your sound drivers. Get a meatier graphics card and/or
sound card. Sound cards are a HUGE benefit for individual player lag.
Of course, additional RAM will benefit you as well."

The capitalised YOU is significant. Several players in a party may well experience quite different results of skipped renders of enemies, depending on how lag is affecting each individual .. or not. Markshire is a 1.68 server.

Sorry The Amethyst Dragon, no new answers here either Smile
Ceorlas
Ceorlas
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Male Number of posts : 58
Main Character : Aefrith
Time Zone : GMT
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Diemex Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:48 pm

Well so far I'm pretty sure its not lag related. The only monster its affecting is the skeletons in the graveyard so far. And its 100% repeatable... as in I never see skeletons no matter how many times I go there or spawn them.

Kobolds, rats etc have all spawned without issue.

I dont think this is related to the NwN1 rendering issue, that issue I am already aware of. Polymorphing will usually 're-render' those guys and make them visible. This behaviour is not intermittent so it leads me to suspect something else is going on. Also... that holy symbol is definately not above the dias for me. Just a plain old dias....

I dont know... but maybe other haks and overrides are causing an issue ? I also play on Higher Ground POA and I have the enhanced haks and stuff from Acaos in the TLK/HAK and overrides directory. I could try making clean directories with only the Aenea files (and cep) and see if that makes a difference.
Anonymous
Diemex

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:52 pm

I just went thru the pain of two full reinstalls including redownloading all the files and reinstalling the CEP twice, so I feel your pain on that... Smile

It definitely sounds like there are some files out of whack somewhere, things not playing nice, etc...

Thhe idea to make clearn hak/talk/override directories is a good one. Get all the files needed for each world in separate folders, and name them each something specific to that world, save them in a different directory, and swap them into NWN as needed.

Its a hassle, but should help prevent conflicts Smile
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Brand new player.... just 1 question so far Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:57 pm

Hmm.... the symbol of Zolaras should be "on" the dias not above it... it's not a bright glowy visual effect but simply a painted item on the ground, I think it may even be "around" the dias... either way, walk across the dias and the script should fire to get you back to life....

Re-rendering is a common problem with the NWN engine.. alot of skeletons spawn in the graveyard. If you find this is persistent try a quick log out/in.. they should appear... ... if not I'm going to guess that you may not have all the Aenea haks, and the latest Aenea_Updates hak...

You should have 8 Aenea haks in total in your hak folder...
"Aeneahak_#", where # can be t,u,v,w,x,y & z , And "Aenea_updates"...

Your other haks/tlk's should not affect playing in Aenea as they are not linked to the Aenea module at the server end, and stuff in the Aenea haks will overwrite the stuff you have in your overdrive if their is any conflict the hak pak version takes precedence, but on occasion wierd things do happen, so try Daveyeisley's suggestion above....

If you find your still having problems try the thread here below
Step-bystep install guide

Alternatively you can see if you have problems with the skelleton model files by getting Lord of Worms and Sixsixsix'es Undead redux, and various other monster redux..
Found from here
.. to here...
...and finally here too!

Note the above links are to forum posts with links to the content on the vault, and all are needed to go into your overide (but the Aenea hak versions should take precedence, so this may not work!)

If you are still having problems, then I'm at a loss as to what to suggest bar upgrading your graphics drivers amd/or card...

Hope that helps... Smile
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Diemex Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:06 pm

Problem is Fixed. I'll post the solution in case this affects anyone else.... though I suspect very few would be (you'd have to be a member of Higher ground)

The problem lies with the file "cep2_custom.hak" This file's original size is small.. (almost empty) However after installing some HGE for higher ground server the file becomes about 86,000+ bytes. Replacing this single file with the original took away the skeletons ability to stalk around invisibly. Also... I finally saw that there is a skeletal guardian at the gate too.... he was previously unnoticed/invisible.

Now I have to fix one other minor issue.... the item descriptions are all 'updated' in that they reflect values from HG server. For example the crit range on various weapons is modified. I'm not sure which file that information comes from...if anyone happens to know I'd appreciate a point in the right direction. I know I have the files all backed up somewhere so I can revert without a reinstall... once I know which file it is I need to replace.
Anonymous
Diemex

Back to top Go down

Post by Arturus Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:16 pm

Interesting and thanks for posting the info about the connection to HG. I play there as well but didn't experience the same problem that you did. I suspect that is because I've not kept up their HGE. It always made me a bit nervous and I guess now I feel a bit justified about that.

I think that the file that has the weapon property descriptions is
cep2_top_vnnx.hak where nnx is the version number. For me the highest version is 22b. I'll not claim to be an expert at haks or NWN internals, but know that is at least one spot where weapon properties are defined. I guess there could be others as well. It might be a place for you to start looking at least
Arturus
Arturus
Commoner
Commoner

Number of posts : 8
Main Character : Artiste d'Blade
NWN Username : Sir Art
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:20 pm

Any 2da files you have in your override folder may mess things up for your game play. They undoubtedly are conflicting with the ones in the default game and in the Aenea haks.

I suggest moving them to another folder for storage while playing Aenea. Maybe make a HGE folder just for all the higher ground stuff.

Oh, and welcome to Aenea!
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:58 am

Hey, I know I'm getting into the action kinda late, but here goes ...
Diemex, welcome to Aenea! Hope your stay is a good one, and of course, you've seen how friendly and helpful the playerbase and staff can be! Welcome, welcome!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:24 pm

Ok, I haven't downloaded anything yet, and befoe I do, I just have one question,

Is this server RP enforced? Yes. chances are I'm being too lazy to look really hard as to find the answer, but I read most of the general info on the home page and it mentioned nothing, so I figured it's be best to ask here.

Sorry for the stupid question
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1217
Main Character : Aseph, the NOT old sorcerer
Other Character : Analo, professional Dracolich (and other undead) hunter
Other Character. : Sivoran, the PC Demilich
Other Character.. : Imyna, Drow Priestess of Sorgath
NWN Username : evilkittenofdoom
Time Zone : EST (GMT-5)
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:37 pm

No, RP is not enforced in Aenea.

Aenea is primarily an action server, with RP voluntary and led by players themselves. I'm pretty easy going and often switch between in-character and out-of-character speach.

I like players to enjoy the game as they feel best fits them, much like a pen and paper D&D game with friends. Some enjoy the action more, some enjoy the role-playing, others prefer a mix of both.

I enjoy trying to make an immersive game that is balanced and challenging. If you want to play it as an action game, go ahead. If you prefer something you can become more of a part of, good for you!

Hope to see you in game soon!
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:38 pm

No questions are stupid, unless you're asking if the sun is made out of broccoli Smile

It's mixed action/RP. RP a little, RP a lot, which ever is most fun for you Smile RP none at all even if you don't feel like it. Several of us who even do RP a decent bit have fun too just running around smacking up orcs and such Smile
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:46 pm

My bext question then - Is CEP2.2 backwards compatable?
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:50 pm

I would be in the latter category.... I'm primarily a hack n' slasher...

however, when the mood strikes me, I can be down for some good ol' RP goodness.... and in all honesty, some of my most memorable moments have been RP based.... its just that I'm not normally in the mood.... (mainly cuz I stink at typing lol)
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:53 pm

I'm not entirely sure. I *think* CEP2.2 is compatible with CEP2.1 modules, but don't hold me to that. CEP2 isn't compatible with CEP1 modules though.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:05 pm

I'll have to check then.

Another question , Can I change the forum background color that I look at and/or the order in which replies are listed (the default is that the newest posts are on the bottom of the list, but I personally prefer that in reverse)
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:51 pm

Not sure you can change the order, but if you click on the "View posts since last visit" link, it shows a list of the threads that have been updated, and each thread, where it shows the name of the last poster, has a little grey button that if you click it, it will take you to the newest post and you can then scroll back from there.... if thats helpful?
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by jo4n Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:08 pm

RE: CEP backwards compatability

Ahem - forgive my forwardness - but I've had a history with repairing CEP compatability headaches. I'm no expert - but here's how I understand what they did this time - as there was so much headache last time (CEP 2.0 to 2.1).

The full CEP 2.2 download gives you all the top hak files for CEP versions 2.0, 2.1, AND 2.2 -

So - in theory CEP sould be backwards compatable back to CEP 2.0 Mods. (except for whatever little bugs and changes that happened. when Bioware sprung new 2da files in game version 1.69 - someone's cloak might look like a kobold or something). affraid

Last edited by jo4n on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typus...er tyPO)
jo4n
jo4n
Apprentice
Apprentice

Male Number of posts : 20
Main Character : Zander Danolement
NWN Username : jo4n12
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:34 pm

Deekin? Deekin get piggy back ride from boss? Yipeee!
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down