Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Used: Wizard's Chess? I think not! Wizard's CHECKERS!

5 posters

Go down

Used: Wizard's Chess? I think not! Wizard's CHECKERS! Empty Used: Wizard's Chess? I think not! Wizard's CHECKERS!

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:13 pm

Basic concept: Tensors Floating Discs + the chessboard tiles near the Macedone Wizard's Guild = Wizard's Checkers!

Some details on possible ways to implement this:

Moving the pieces around could actually be a bit of a chore (get the disk to follow you to the square, issue a "stand your ground" command to it, move off the board without knocking yours, or the other players pieces off their squares by accident)... so perhaps what could be done is another use for the handy player select tool. Place several invisible, but selectable placeables set on the squares of the chessboard tiles (invisible but selectable like the elder brain creature). Use the select tool on your disc, use a VC Game command to choose the disc, and the select marker on the board you want the disc to move to, and issue another VC Game command to have the selected disc move to the selected square.

The process of "jumping" an opponents piece could be handled in one of two ways... one, let the players handle it themselves, the player who's piece was captured would be obliged to unsummon that particular disc. Or when you jump a player's piece, select their piece with the select tool, and use a VC Game command to dismiss their disc off the board.

As for the ol' "king me" issue... naturally one player would want all their discs of one color, while another player would want theirs of a different color, and this could be expanded into that player A would have their "kings" a second color assigned to them, and their opponent would have a second color for their kings (red/purple for one team, yellow/green for the other, however the players want to deal with it).

Summoned discs duration.... This is possibly one drawback of the whole game... the players would have to be able to summon 12 discs each, and then would have to be able to summon more even when they need to change a disc from a regular piece to a king... That's a lot of casts, very doable by the likes of Crideas Bane, but really one would think this could be a passtime open to all wizards and sorcerers (and bards/rogues/assassins with scrolls)... And scrolls WOULD answer the number of discs problem, but their duration would be pants, and it would suck to be in the middle of a match with someone and within moments all your discs get unsummoned....

So... perhaps there could be a "Games Master" wizard standing by the board who would 'loan' players uber-duration peices? He could also be scripted to replace a players piece with a king piece when it reaches the other side of the board. He could also announce wins when they happen, and keep a record (much like the info arena command, but for the checkers game, and would be an actual NPCs announcing the match results)

Last edited by The Amethyst Dragon on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:48 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : changing title)
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Used: Wizard's Chess? I think not! Wizard's CHECKERS! Empty Re: Used: Wizard's Chess? I think not! Wizard's CHECKERS!

Post by Eric of Atrophy Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:35 pm

All that from a late-night lonely field server meet! BRING ON THE CHECKERS!!!!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Used: Wizard's Chess? I think not! Wizard's CHECKERS! Empty Re: Used: Wizard's Chess? I think not! Wizard's CHECKERS!

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:04 am

The checkers game is being built already, based off the in-game idea when a certain purple dragon summoned about a dozen of the things around himself. Smile

It won't rely on castings of tenser's floating disc, so duration isn't an issue. I plan on having it use a combination of the Select tool and VC commands, plus a mess of variables and waypoints and such for controlling movement. It will be up to players to adjudicate jumps and such. Kings will be denoted by a glow effect being added to a piece. There will also be a reset function (to restart the game from set-up, and it will be open to players of all classes as a way to pass the time. Smile

It may take a little while, but the game should be a handy diversion. Oh, and it will be using red and blue discs for contrast.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:08 am

uber-sweetness it is!
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1119
Main Character : Sir Rayvensclaw Nightkind Leader of the Clan of Night
Paladin/Champion of Dalix/Wizard
NWN Username : Rayven Nightkind
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:29 pm

Awesome idea Manny Smile

and umm.... Crid doesnt have that many casts.... ok.... well maybe he does.... but only with metamagic, and that shouldnt count...
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Used: Wizard's Chess? I think not! Wizard's CHECKERS! Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:53 pm

After this sort of goodness, why would we play anywhere else? Laughing
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down