Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: The bard...

4 posters

Go down

Not Used: The bard... Empty Not Used: The bard...

Post by jazzable Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:47 pm

Well, since i´m in a suggestive mood right now..erhh...anyway, i was thinking about the bard class.

The bard is supposed to be THE generalist; right now(with the NWN ruleset), this is hard to accomplish.
Getting 4 base skillpoints per level makes the bard on par with the ranger and the barbarian (doh!), for example.

Now, would it be possible to up his skillpoints to 6 (like in the 3.5 ruleset, if i´m not completely mistaken)?
This would allow you (or me  Smile) to put a few points into cross-class skills now and then, and raise the essential skills like perform, taunt, lore etc. without making the class unbalanced (imho).

In the long run, maybe giving him light-armor spellcasting would be nice as well, but what really ticks me off are the meager skillpoints the bard gets in NWN.

Thanks for considering...

jazzable
jazzable
jazzable
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Male Number of posts : 54
Main Character : Eowarion, the horny...uhm... horned bard
Other Character : Hurn Willey, the explorer monk
Other Character. : Fram Jarlson, cleric of the Mistress
NWN Username : Fianon
Time Zone : \GMT + 2.00\
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down

Not Used: The bard... Empty Re: Not Used: The bard...

Post by daveyeisley Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:04 pm

I agree bard should get 6 skillpoints per level, but i dont know if it can be done easily.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Not Used: The bard... Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:07 pm

The 3.5's 6 per level skill points would be very nice. Bard's got tons of class skills, and it takes a moderate (16-18) int modifier to capitalize on all of them and get one or two cross classes in. More skills is always good no matter the class. That should be just a bit of 2da editing to do. Bard characters already made would probably have to use a releveller scale (or be given an extra one if they've used theirs already) to get the extra skill points for already taken bard levels

Armored-caster (and the upgrade to Battle-caster) might be doable as feats, but would be more versatile than the 3.5 ruleset since I don't think reduced arcane spell failure can be applied to only armor and not shields as per the feat's description. It would be very nice. One one hand, spend a feat for still-spell (but not be able to still-cast 6th level spells unless you put 7th level bonus spell slots on a voucher item), or spend a feat for battle-caster and get your 6th level spells without bonus slots ona voucher item.

Perhaps to emulate the feats as closely as possible, having the feat would put a temp-property on any light armor (and medium armor with battlecaster) you put on, kinda like shurikens now get a temp mighty property. That would exclude the shields as per the feat, but still maintain the purpose of the feat.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:20 am

I like the sound of these ideas.

ve sits back to see how this turns out
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1119
Main Character : Sir Rayvensclaw Nightkind Leader of the Clan of Night
Paladin/Champion of Dalix/Wizard
NWN Username : Rayven Nightkind
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down