Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: The new....familiar...

5 posters

Go down

Not Used: The new....familiar... Empty Not Used: The new....familiar...

Post by Kefrem Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:04 pm

After waitin for the updated version of this doodad dagger with zeal and anticipation i am......

Unimpressed...

i know your workin hard ad and i/we(wizards) appreciate you efforts...but when compared to the old dagger...

The new one just doesnt add up to the old one...

I can understand its hard to code the *extra spells* into it...as when you rest the powers go away and thus so would the bonus spells and thats ok.

But the mage focus feats it gives just dont cut the mustard as they say. By our level most wizzys have taken these feats and then its just a +6 dagger(or more) with just one dmg effect. On the old dagger we got infinite fireballs...either 5 or 10 i cant remember which. That dont seem like much...but for me it was a reason for taking the dagger as it gave me a kinda higher punch over the standard wizzy phaser beam we get.

I find myself still using the spear instead...at my level its +10 with all kinds of feats i dont normally get and it really burns out the dmg because of it.

What i would like to see is a more utilitarian type of dagger when juiced up....say...

(mind you im level 27...im goin off what it used to do)

1.infinite fireballs(10)
2.A spell(1/day)
3.A spell(1/day)
4.A spell(2/day)

or something similar...im not lookin to pwn stuff...but wizzys tend to have items that are useful and utilitarian to them...a melee weapon is the last thing on thier mind when they got all those spells at thier fingertips and thus so would a weapon/staff/item in thier posession have similar magics at its command.

I do like the fact its a dagger though...looks cool floatin off to the side and stuff. It just needs spells in it and not the focus feats it gets. maybe the fireball inf per day and a few other useful spells a wizzy could use at a few times per day and such. Maybe Crideas can chime in here and help me explain my thinking Smile

At any rate ..this isnt a hate/flame rant...its just a concern of a master level 40 mage voicing his concerns Smile so dont hang me...youd just have to wait in line anyway. (calling #2,256)

On a positive note...i can now beat skeletons back into their graves with a holdable spellbook now Razz
Kefrem
Kefrem
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 755
Main Character : Ignatius and Sykee
Other Character : Shi'ssar
Other Character. : Spyder
Other Character.. : Tarn
NWN Username : Kefremthemagus
Registration date : 2008-10-06

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=688&bu=

Back to top Go down

Not Used: The new....familiar... Empty Re: Not Used: The new....familiar...

Post by daveyeisley Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:06 am

I agree with Kef 100% here.

My main love for the old version was the bonus spell slots, but the new version still leaves a LOT to be desired.

In its current incarnation, its just not worth using....
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Not Used: The new....familiar... Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:31 am

If it's tweaked, I'd like to see the spell focuses stay in myself. Spell focus evoction isn't a given on every caster, so having the dagger is nice for the necromancy and illusionist types.

I tried casting the weapon spells on the dagger when powered up, and it didn't seem to take effect. Not sure if it was just that time, or if the weapon spells aren't keyed to work on the familiar, but if they're not, I think they should be allowed to function on it.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Svair Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:02 am

MannyJabrielle wrote:I tried casting the weapon spells on the dagger when powered up, and it didn't seem to take effect. Not sure if it was just that time, or if the weapon spells aren't keyed to work on the familiar, but if they're not, I think they should be allowed to function on it.

Are you saying that spells such as Shocking Weapon can't be applied to the Familiar? That's too bad....
Svair
Svair
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1178
Main Character : Karamip Ningle
Other Character : Phyllick Delucian
NWN Username : S'Vair
. : Not Used: The new....familiar... Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:42 am

MannyJabrielle wrote:I tried casting the weapon spells on the dagger when powered up, and it didn't seem to take effect. Not sure if it was just that time, or if the weapon spells aren't keyed to work on the familiar, but if they're not, I think they should be allowed to function on it.
Looking into this. Those spells should work properly on the dagger.

I reworked the dagger to bring it more in line with the other "leveling" weapons (such as Impaler). Infinite 10d6 fireballs won't return to it, since I think such a property is incredibly powerful. It's always been intended more as an aid to a wizard, which is why I went with the spellcasting-oriented bonus feats (that may otherwise be passed up in favor of other feats) instead of things like Cleave. The bonus spell slots never really did work properly, since in Aenea held items are unequipped upon sleeping (which removes and empties said slots).
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:30 pm

The spells do work, but I found not when the dagger is in the left hand slot (acidic/shock/frost weapon spells can't target offhand weapons at all, and flame weapon targets it, but doesn't take effect).

It also removes the buffs when the dagger's buffed in the main hand, and then swapped out to be in the offhand.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down