Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions about Player Houses and Custom Items.

+4
MannyJabrielle
The Amethyst Dragon
Eric of Atrophy
thirdside
8 posters

Go down

Questions about Player Houses and Custom Items. Empty Questions about Player Houses and Custom Items.

Post by thirdside Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:55 am

I'm curious about the utility of a custom player created house. Is it possible to store items in the house? If I drop an item in a chest in my house will it still be there after a server re-start? Will other characters on my account have access to the house? Is item sharing between characters against the rules? And, if item sharing is ok can one character deposit an item in a chest in the house and another character retrieve it?

Also, I was playing around with the toolset trying to make a house for Cam (I've never really created a module before) and then I started working on creating a couple custom items for the player reward thingy. I created a couple spell books and then placed them on the floor in the module. Then, so that I could load in and play with them, I dropped a couple Identify scrolls on the floor next to them. When I loaded into the game and tried to identify the spell book with the scroll I got a message saying that the spellbook was the wrong item type. It was not identified but the scroll was still used up. Why doesn't the scroll work to identify the book? Lastly, one property I added to a book was "Poison Weapon". I've never used this ability before and when I tried to use it in my module it said "There is no effect". What am I doing wrong? Do I need to have a vial of poison or something in my inventory in order for it to work?
thirdside
thirdside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Male Number of posts : 16
Main Character : Cam Nelastra
Other Character : Samir Hull
NWN Username : thirdside
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Questions about Player Houses and Custom Items. Empty Re: Questions about Player Houses and Custom Items.

Post by Eric of Atrophy Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:06 am

Thirdside,
greetings and welcome to Aenea! I hope your stay is a pleasant one!

As far as the questions go, I can answer a few, though not all. Player housing - the only persistent storage for your house is the Chest of Ethereal Storage, which you can find at Akron the wolf's shop in Valorian's Vale. If you build a house, you'll be able to summon your chest into a specific spot in the house. Now, you can make chests, containers, etc. and use them, but if the server resets while you're on it (if that's possible), I believe that your items will be toast (they do not survive across a server reset, though I'm not sure about a character login/logoff).
Also, I believe that the houses are character specific, as they are keyed into your PC name/username. There are keys available within the house, so you can let some PC buddies in and hang out - those keys are a one-use deal, but they do respawn in the chest over a server reset (so you always have a supply to distribute). The only thing you can share between characters is if you retire one (no longer use it on the server), Akron gives you an option to use 1/2 of the retired character's experience (not sure about gold) to put towards another character. Beyond that, I believe it's assumed that multiple characters under the control of one user are considered separate entities with different goals, ambitions, etc.

For everything else, I humbly bow to the limitless knowledge of our exalted PW creator, the Amethyst Dragon, or any of the other minions that populate this great gameworld/forum.
cheers

Last edited by Eric of Atrophy on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : minor clarification of issues)
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Questions about Player Houses and Custom Items. Empty Re: Questions about Player Houses and Custom Items.

Post by thirdside Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:32 am

Thanks for the info, Eric. I thought that sharing items between characters was probably a no-no, but figured I'd ask. No biggie really.

Another question I have is can I place an NPC in my house with scripted conversation. I don't intend to give the NPC any special properties (i.e. merchant or ability to identify items), but I was thinking about adding an RP related NPC that would stay in the house.
thirdside
thirdside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:58 am

Item storage: When you have a house, that character can store items in the Ethereal Chest. This is the same chest you can get at Arkon's Storage, so you can put stuff in/take stuff out from both locations. Items left in other containers vanish upon a server reset. The Ethereal Chest is character-specific.

House access: Only for the character that purchased it, plus those he or she gives a 1-use key to.

Item sharing between your characters: Frowned upon. From a role-play point of view, there really is no reason your characters would have access to or willingly give their items to a different person. From a game balance point of view, it's just not fair to others and upsets game balance if your other characters benefit from the power or wealth of your richer characters.

Books: The effects of books vary widely. Most do nothing. If you give that book a power, it must either be a spell or must be something custom scripted (like the spell books in Aenea that give certain spellcasters the chance to cast a new spell 1/day). Not sure why the scroll wouldn't work on the book in your own module. "Poison Weapon" is a feat (I think), so it would have to be on an item you can equip to an inventory slot (like a cloak or weapon), plus you need a vial of poison to put on your weapon.

NPC in house: sure, you can add one.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:10 pm

Yeah, use poison's a feat. It allows a non-BG/Assassin to use poison vials if you have the module switch set to restrict poison use to those classes, or bypass the dexterity check if anyone can use poisons.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by thirdside Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:57 pm

Thanks for the info. I see what I did wrong now. I think I'll probably just skip the poison for now.
thirdside
thirdside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:02 pm

Question about custom items... could I do a custom hood of disguise? And if yes, how much value is the disguise feature? I don't know it's actual base value because of appraisal adjustment at the merchant.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:16 pm

MannyJabrielle wrote:Question about custom items... could I do a custom hood of disguise? And if yes, how much value is the disguise feature? I don't know it's actual base value because of appraisal adjustment at the merchant.
Do you just want a hat of disguise with a different appearance, or something with additional properties?

The basic hat of disguise costs 2,500 gp. For a custom one (which would require adding a new item to the module), I'd say 10,000. If combining it with other properties of a wearable item, I'm going to say the disguise feature will be the equivalent of 20,000 gp of the item's cost.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:08 pm

I was thinking of additional properties along with the disguise feature in a custom item. 20K sounds like a very reasonable price Very Happy
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Questions about Player Houses and Custom Items. Empty Player Housing - Items

Post by mighty moomin Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:53 am

A couple of queries; have starting designing my lodgings, and it's my first real crack at the Toolset, so I have a whole new respect for AD. This stuff isn't straight forward! I was looking to add some items mainly books to my pad, these are nothing other than background for my character, will these disappear on resets??? Also, I deleted the start location at one point, and could not find how to add back, can anyone tell me how? Finally I can't seem to makea secret door secret. It defaults to visible all the time, am I doing somthing wrong??
mighty moomin
mighty moomin
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Male Number of posts : 227
Main Character : The Gninja
Time Zone : GMT (UK)
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:11 am

mighty,

The books should stay where you put them - once Amethyst imports the area, those items should be added to the item collection. That's up to Amethyst, but seeing as he's pretty cool, it shouldn't be a problem. Very Happy

The start location - if you look in teh upper right-hand corner of the toolset, you'll see a button with a blue circle with a red arrow in it, kinda sitting above the other buttons (give me a few and I'll pull out a screenie if need be) - that's the paint start location button. Press it and paint that start location wherever you like! Wink

The secret door - I've never done those, so someone else will have to help you there! Embarassed

Hope that helps ... and of course, good luck in the toolset! Once you get the hang of it, you may not want to leave it (except for playing Aenea, of course) ... Exclamation
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by KangTheMad Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:25 pm

Bumping this up since I have a question, kinda answered but not really totally. The Amethyst Dragon says I can have an NPC in my house. Is there a limit? I can think of three NPCs that I would like, (Adamatine Servant Golem, Captured Mind Flayer and The Hobo)
KangTheMad
KangTheMad
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 161
Main Character : Kang
Other Character : Tink The Builder
Other Character. : Seae'thy'stil'ann
NWN Username : KangTheMad
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:29 pm

Not sure on the limit, but 3 shouldn't be a problem. Aurora has a mindflayer and several snakes in her home, and Alastair has a cat and 6 or 7 dog NPCs in his place.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by KangTheMad Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Oh! Kang MUST have a kitten! Very Happy
KangTheMad
KangTheMad
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by KangTheMad Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:50 pm

Also, is there a module to use for the house, like the custom items?
KangTheMad
KangTheMad
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:52 pm

Yes, that module works for building homes as well
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:46 pm

KangTheMad wrote:Oh! Kang MUST have a kitten! Very Happy
Next time Dungeon Mistress Ana sees you online, you'll have a kitten - she's rather fond of them!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by KangTheMad Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:34 am

Eric of Atrophy wrote:
KangTheMad wrote:Oh! Kang MUST have a kitten! Very Happy
Next time Dungeon Mistress Ana sees you online, you'll have a kitten - she's rather fond of them!

Very Happy Nice! All megolomaniacs have to have a kitten. Its a rule. Plus I like animals anyways so.... Very Happy

lol
KangTheMad
KangTheMad
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:01 am

Q: How do you make a kitten sound like a dog?

A: Douse it in alchemical oil, and use Burning Hands. *woof*

Q: How do you make a dog sound like a cat?

A: Use a Rod of Frost, and then Blade Barrier, *rowrrrr*

... what? silent
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Questions about Player Houses and Custom Items. Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:48 am

Questions about Player Houses and Custom Items. Hahaha11
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by DMT Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Okay last night I got a 20k Custom Item note, which I was wondering who and how [figure by email/pm] do I send the item information? So that my request can be full-filled?

Also can it be two items? Of course staying within the 20k limit?

DMT
DMT
DMT
Player with Too Much Time

Male Number of posts : 84
Main Character : Randell "Werewolf Warrior"
Other Character : Sir Vincent "Amethyst Knight" - Paladin of Dalix
Time Zone : GMT - 4:00
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:19 pm

MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by DMT Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:39 pm

Awesome! Thanks MannyJabrielle.

DMT
DMT
DMT

Male Number of posts : 84
Main Character : Randell "Werewolf Warrior"
Other Character : Sir Vincent "Amethyst Knight" - Paladin of Dalix
Time Zone : GMT - 4:00
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down