Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AD's Fitness Mini-Blog

+7
MannyJabrielle
Svair
Elhanan
daveyeisley
Eric of Atrophy
RustyDios
The Amethyst Dragon
11 posters

Go down

AD's Fitness Mini-Blog Empty AD's Fitness Mini-Blog

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:13 am

Completely unrelated to NWN, I'll be using this thread as kind of a mini-blog of my physical fitness work for the next few months. Just to help keep myself accountable. pirat

Goal 1: Lose 28-38 pounds
Goal 2: Get in better physical shape (increased strength, endurance, and muscle definition)
Goal 3: Increase metabolism (I like to bake and cook, so being able to eat more of what I make while maintaining fitness would be nice)

Status 4/17/11:

Since January, I've lost 14.4 pounds by monitoring food intake and slightly increasing weekly exercise. About 1/2 of my weight loss goal so far.

Tomorrow, I start P90X (a high-intensity workout series). I've shelled out the cash for the adjustable dumbells, good quality pull-up bar, and a nice heart rate monitor. I have no intention of ever paying fees to go to the gym, so working out at home is the best (and most affordable) option. Plus, as a stay at home dad, I really don't have time to actually leave the house without at least 1/2 of my kids in tow. 12 weeks of hard workouts (6 days a week)...I can do that...just have to get into the routine.

I did the "fit test" for the program tonight and met or exceeded the minimums for 6 of the 7 strength/endurance/flexibility points (they wanted 3 pull-ups, I managed 2.5).

Looking forward to:
...having more endurance and strength
...getting rid of more of the extra weight I picked up years ago
...proving to myself that I could accomplish such a goal

Not looking forward to:
...at least a couple weeks of pain and exhaustion as I get into the workout program
...supplements (need to work in more protein and vitamins)
...drinking a lot more water (and less Dt. Dew...I like the stuff but don't really need it since I'm not in grad school anymore)
...having to heavily work out at least 6 days a week

Fit Test Starting:
Resting Heart Rate: 63 beats/minute
Pull Ups: 2.5 (starting goal: 3) (sad...I used to bust out 20 of these in a row every day in high school...of course, that was at 50 pounds lighter and 17 years younger)
Vertical Leap: 15 inches (starting goal: 5 inches)
Push Ups: 25 (starting goal: 15)
Toe Touch: -6 inches (starting goal: -6 inches) (I never could touch my toes, even back in high school during track season)
Wall Squat: 1 min. 20 sec. (starting goal: 1 min.) (back against wall, legs at 90 degree angle "sitting position" for as long as possible)
Bicep Curls (20 pounds each hand): 24 (starting goal: 10)
In & Outs: 28 (starting goal: 25) (sitting, holding feet above floor while moving them in toward body and away again)
Maximum Heart Rate: 185 beats/minute (after 2.5 minutes of jumping jacks, last 30 seconds as fast as possible)
- after 1 min. rest: 143 beats/minute
- after 2 mins. rest: 127 beats/minute
- after 3 mins. rest: 118 beats/minute
- after 4 mins. rest: 118 beats/minute

I'll be repeating this test after the 90 day program. I figure there has to be some progress.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

AD's Fitness Mini-Blog Empty Re: AD's Fitness Mini-Blog

Post by RustyDios Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:24 am

Good Luck..
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : AD's Fitness Mini-Blog Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:55 am

I have a friend who did the P90X ... he raves about it, and judging by pics I've seen, he looks better now in his mid 40s than he ever did in his 20s ...
Good luck with that!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:09 am

I'm pullin for ya The Amethyst Dragon!

I went low-carb 2 months ago, and have dropped 25 lbs myself, so I know how good it feels to make progress and get healthier Smile

The exercise program thing.... well.... I'm probably not ever gonna go that route, I prefer walking or playing a sport. Badminton and Basketball last few summers Smile

One suggestion for you, if you happen to be like me, and can't really enjoy drinking plain water. I like it to have at least a little flavor, but you can't load up on sugar or you're shooting yourself in the foot, so...

I highly recommend the various sugar-free flavor packets from 4C. They have a good variety, and it adds lots of flavor to the water with zero guilt. Really easy to make, too.

Good luck, sir!

daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:13 am

Oh, I have no problem with plain water (as long as it's cold). I even prefer it when I eat out at various dining facilities...that way it never messes with the flavor of the food I'm paying for.

It's just that I'm going to have to make the effort to drink a lot more of it, more often.

Thanks for the encouragement. Smile
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Best of luck, and remember to lock up/down weights that could harm curious toddlers. Even a 5 lb weight dropped on shoeless toes can smart... er, no experience on this really.....
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Svair Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Hey, well done on getting motivated and taking steps towards your fitness goals. Congratulations on your weight loss and continued success.

I just started (this week) tracking my weight on this site: http://fitday.com/. There seems to be a lot of utility there and is already easier to use than a hand-kept journal.

I'm very, very interested in your updates (I could use the inspiration Very Happy ), particularly on how the P90X works out for you.

Last edited by Svair on Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I just got "The Naked Warrior" from the library, but I'm too embarrassed to mention it.)
Svair
Svair
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1178
Main Character : Karamip Ningle
Other Character : Phyllick Delucian
NWN Username : S'Vair

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:37 pm

Svair wrote:I'm very, very interested in your updates (I could use the inspiration Very Happy ), particularly on how the P90X works out for you.
Wait, doesn't he work out with it? Question
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Svair Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Eric of Atrophy wrote:Wait, doesn't he work out with it? Question

Heh :-)
Svair
Svair
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:50 am

If it works out for him, I want one too.
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:44 am

Yesterday: Chest & Back + Ab Ripper X
This morning: Ow

Later today: Plyometrics (lots of jumping and leg work)
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:55 am

Yesterday: Plyometrics

Lots (and lots, and lots) of jumping. Tons of cardio (yes, I could outrun zombies). Not as physically difficult for me as the first day (but still exhausting), probably because my legs have always been stronger than my upper body. I used to run track and cross country in high school.

Today: Shoulders & Arms + Ab Ripper X

I hate Ab Ripper X. Abs were still sore from Monday, and I had to push them again today. Hopefully this one will get easier as the weeks go by.

Otherwise, it was mostly biceps, triceps, and deltoids. Mostly dumbell work.

Ibuprofen has been my friend this week.

Note for those that are considering using P90X...I'm not going to be shelling out for the P90X protein bars, recovery drink mix, or multivitamins. After working out, I'm starting with spreading out a few different things over an hour or so: chocolate milk (simple sugars, protein, minerals), gatorade/powerade (electrolytes and some vitamins), a regular multivitamin, and water. I'm also eating more protein throughout the day (good thing I like tuna and chicken).

Tomorrow: Yoga X
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:17 am

Thursday (tonight): Yoga X

I thought it was going to be a lot of stretching and would be a little easier. Nope.

It was a lot of stretching, but it was also a lot of strenuous poses, twists, balancing...and it's an hour and a half! By the middle of it, even the people in the video that are in great shape were sweating.

I definitely need to work on flexibility.

I even tried the Crane pose. I remember doing this easily as a kid (didn't know then it was a yoga pose)...hands on the floor, knees on elbows, balancing entire body on the two hands with head pointed downward. Tonight I tipped over onto my head. The guy in the videos (Tony) warned me before starting that pose though, so there was padding. Razz I should have no problem with it by the end of all of this.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:19 pm

Yesterday: Legs & Back

Lots and lots of lunges, squats, and other strength/endurance work for the legs, and lots of pull ups for the back.

Tiring and a bit frustrating, mostly because I clearly remember being able to do at least a dozen unassisted pullups easily when I was young and lighter. Bah!

Really feeling this one in my back today. I could feel the burn just bending over to tie my shoes for today's workout.

Today: Kenpo X

Lots of kicks and punches, with many combinations. The combinations were the tough part mentally, since by the time I figured out the rhythm for the moves, the people in the video were 3/4 of the way through that section of the workout.

This one was high in cardio work. Got myself up to 98% of max according to the heart rate monitor several times. I figure it'll be at around 90% at the same points once I'm in better shape.

Food thought of the day:

Good thing I like tuna. More protein is good for muscle building, and one can of the cooked stuff has 32 grams of protein with basically no fat. I mix it with just a bit of light mayo, throw in some black pepper and chopped pickles (luv me some kosher dills, and it provides more flavor, crunch, and little bit of salt replenishment), put the mix between some wheat bread (still need some carbs for energy)...yum.

...and Jeeves (my cat) likes to drink the water drained from the can. It tastes and smells like tuna, and he doesn't have to share with the dog. Razz
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:29 am

Time for another post, since it's been a while.

I have been keeping up with the daily workouts. Smile

Sunday was supposed to either be a stretching day or a rest day. But since I'd taken the wife out for dinner Saturday night, then had an Easter dinner at the sister-in-laws Sunday afternoon, I went ahead and did a strenuous cardio workout Sunday night (not P90X, a different one).

Monday: Back to Chest & Back

This one went a bit better this time. I went with the same amount of weight for the different moves that I did the first week, but was able t do a couple more repetitions. I still don't like decline pushups (feet on a chair, legs and back straight, hands of the floor). Evil or Very Mad

And once again, followed by my despised enemy, Ab Ripper X.

Tuesday: Plyometrics

Pretty much just as difficult as the first week, but I did notice my top heartrate was about 97% of max instead of 98%. Smile I even got it down to around 92% for parts of the workout. Not sure what the optimum zone is, but I imagine it's somewhere between 70% and 90%.

Wednesday: Shoulders & Arms

Still having a rough time with pull-ups, but I figure it will be that way for quite a while until I get a lot stronger. I just push it as much as I can, using a chair for assistance so that I can get more than two pull-ups in...I figure I need to get some in so that the muscles get worked throughout the entire range of motion, even if the targeted ones aren't doing 100% of the work to start out.

And since it's a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday, my nemesis once again showed it's ugly face (Ab Ripper X). At least this time I was able to get in 40 of the "murphy twists", even if I had to take a couple 3-second breaks during that part.

What's a "murphy twist"? A pain, is what it is. You balance your weight on you butt, holding your feet just above the floor and holding your hands together. You touch the floor with your hands on one side, quickly move them to the other side to touch the floor, then right back to where you started...and that's one repetition...only 39 more after that, trying not to stop or put your feet down (and the people in the video keep going after that!).

Today, Part I: Pleasant surprise. Due to a combination of the weight I'd lost since January and the work during the last 1 1/2 weeks...a t-shirt that was just a bit too small on me now fits. Smile

Today, Part II: Yoga X

Once again, I put this one off until all 4 kids were in bed, asleep...partly because it's an hour and a half, and partly because it involves some whispered profanities on my part. Razz This one is damn tough for someone that is A) not really that flexible and B) not really that flexible. My hamstrings have always been very tight, which means it's very difficult to straighten my legs out completely when there's any bending, which means many of the moves are much more difficult to perform.

After I got done, I went right for the ibuprofen...pushed my back a little too hard during one or two stretch moves.

The best news so far: Not one day have I considered skipping the workout. Smile I've started the program, and I'm going to finish it...and likely go through it again, since I've heard many people just do because it gets results and gets mentally easier after a while.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:46 am

yoga: getting you to stretch odd parts of your body... and your vocal chords too!
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:47 am

Heya, great work! You're being tough mentally and disciplining yourself which is more than half of the struggle that a lot of folks fail with. Keep it up!

Having gotten myself into a pair of jeans that 2 months ago were so tight they almost cut off circulation, I totally understand the "pleasant surprise"! The jeans fit comfortably now, and my old jeans are so loose I had to cut another notch in my belt for them because the original "tight notch" still couldn't keep them on me Smile

For the stretching parts of your routine, I do have one small tidbit to offer that may be of help. Back when I was training martial arts regularly, we stretched for a long time before every session. One of the things my master stressed was in stretching positions, it is best to achieve your best extension (where it starts to hurt just a little bit, but isnt really painful) and hold yourself still in that position for a good 7 seconds at least. Most importantly, do your best to avoid "bouncing" or trembling (the best way is to relax the muscles as much as you can). After 7 seconds, if it has stopped hurting, you can push your extension a teensy bit further and hold it for another 3 to 5 seconds. That can really help you get more flexibility from your stretches. Hope that helps!

Oh, forgot to mention, when you are holding the stretch for the first seven second, be sure to exhale! It helps you to relax the muscles you are stretching, which is very important! You will eventually be able to actually feel when the muscle relaxes fully, and the tension bleeds out. Thats when you know you are definitely stretching the muscle properly.

Last edited by daveyeisley on Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Good tips here! However, I am now in the thought of: I luv a good work-out; could watch her do that all day!

For lower back pain, I used to strengthen those muscles by doing a series of "women's" push-ups (ie; lower half of body remains on the floor while raising up with upper torso), and hold for a bit. Then when you find that too easy, do not use your arms to support the lift. Seemed to help me a bit.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Related to this thread.

I'm one of those people that will never be able to drastically cut carbs
out of my diet...I like to bake, and I think that dessert is the most
important of the 5 basic food groups. Of course, right now I'm almost 2
weeks into a rigorous exercise program, so I'm doing a combination of
lowering (but not eliminating) sugar and fat intake, and increasing
protein intake (I started eating higher-fiber foods months ago).

It does help that my wife works with a bunch of other people, so I
usually limit personal baking to days before she works. Everyone in the
family has a reasonable serving (or two!) after dinner, then she takes
the rest to work for "disposal" at 4am (before I can have any with
breakfast Razz).

Breakfast for me is usually oatmeal, since it's high in fiber, low in
fat, very filling, and I can add flavors as I see fit (old-fashion
rolled oats microwaved with water and additional ingredients):
- oatmeal, cinnamon (lots), splenda (sugar substitute), raisins (this one is my regular style)
- as above, but add a banana or some milk
- oatmeal, cinnamon (lots), applesauce
- oatmeal, cinnamon (yeah, I like the stuff), splenda, banana
- oatmeal, splenda, peanut butter
- oatmeal, splenda, fresh/frozen blueberries
- oatmeal, splenda, blackberries or strawberries or raspberries

One thing I like for lunch (when I've got the materials available): Turkey Wraps:
soft, whole wheat tortilla (100 cal/3.5g fat/13g carbs/7g fiber)
+ high quality deli turkey (~3 oz.)
+ honey mustard (or spicy brown mustard)
+ a big handful of baby spinach (both filling and good for ya)
= one tasty, low-carb, low-fat, healthy wrap (I eat two at a sitting)

I usually don't care for whole wheat tortillas...they're normally course
and dry. However, I get the tortillas at Sam's Club (a wholesale store
tied to Wal-mart)...the brand I get is Santa Fe Tortilla Company. The
tortillas are soft, taste good, and still have all the fiber (and they
come in packs of 30 and can be frozen, so fewer shopping trips). I also
use them for quesadillas, burritos, and enchiladas, and to replace the
buns (sometimes) for cheese-steak sandwhichs and grilled burgers, brats,
and hot dogs.

I do still eat pizza and pasta, but I usually limit myself to a single
serving (like Dave says, read the label!). I just precede such meals
with a big glass of water (to take up space and hydrate), and avoid the
stuff if I haven't eaten very healthily that day.

Oh, and to sneak in few extra calories-worth of muscle use a day, I keep
my computer on the kitchen counter (away from the wet sink), and spend
most of my computer time standing (and doing a few calf raises). It's
not much extra movement, but every little bit helps.

You could even walk in place while watching the video Dave suggested. Smile
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Tue May 03, 2011 5:04 am

I'm still staying on schedule with the workouts. Friday was Legs & Back (and Ab Ripper X), Saturday Kenpo X. Both workouts went as planned.

Sunday is for resting or doing the stretch video. I opted for rest, since I have stuff to do with the wife and kids pretty much all day.

Today (Monday), the start of week 3. Smile Same schedule as the last two weeks, so it was Chest and Back + Ab Ripper. Pushed hard again today, feeling it as weakness the rest of the day.

A change I added today: After-workout supplements.

I'd been taking a multivitamin after each workout, plus some chocolate milk and gatorade. Today I started also adding to my chocolate milk: protein powder and creatine powder (for aid in muscle building) and glucosamine (and aid for my joints, since I'm harder on them with the workouts). And it turns out that the little bit of sugar in the chocolate milk is supposed to help the muscles absorb or use the creatine.

I also bought a new immersion blender (you know, those hand-held things you stick down in a tall glass, or into a pot, so you can mix stuff fast). I discovered that protein powder doesn't actually mix very well by hand, leaving lots of gritty bits. The immersion blender takes care of that problem for me, mixing in the powders very well so that I have no problem drinking it.

Tomorrow is Plyometrics again. When I'm done with this program, I wonder how high my vertical leap will be. I might even be able to start in on some light parkour with my older boys (the 4 and 7 year olds)...I think they'd like it more if Dad was doing it with them.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed May 11, 2011 4:07 am

Another week has gone by, and I'm still at it. Smile

I'm surprised the first 3 weeks seemed to go by so quickly. I'm not hating doing the workouts like I thought I would, so that must be a part of it. It can be a little mental challenge to make the time to do the workouts, but once I'm started, I just push through until the end.

I'm now into week four of the program, which is considered a "recovery week". I'm thinking "recovery" just means not pushing one's muscles to the point of failure (which happens with many of the "area-focused" workouts).

Day 1 (monday): Yoga X (wait, this one is hard, where's my "recovery"?)
Day 2 (tuesday): Core Synergistics (lots of core work, not too difficult)
Day 3 (wednesday): Kenpo X (lots of cardio here)
Day 4 (thursday): X Stretch (one I haven't actually done yet, since I've been opting to do other things on Sundays)
Day 5 (friday): Core Synergistics again
Day 6 (saturday): Yoga X (again? oye vay)
Day 7 (sunday): rest or X Stretch

Looks like a busy week.

Over all, things are going pretty good with this program. I've slightly increased some of the weight I'm using on a few of the exercises, I'm not putting quite as much of my weight on the chair during pull-ups (although I'm still using it a little just so that I do get more than a few reps in so that I'm getting the full range of motion), and I can do a bit more during the Ab Ripper X routine (not much more, but there is some progress).
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed May 11, 2011 4:52 pm

Keep at it, Trooper Razz
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sun May 22, 2011 1:39 am

I'm almost done with week 5, and still have managed to not miss a day. Smile

I did swap a couple days last weekend. I was supposed to do the yoga workout on Saturday, but managed to kick the corner of my treadmill with one small toe (while barefooted) Saturday morning. It still hurt hours later, so I decided that Saturday would be my "rest or x stretch" day (I rested) and just did yoga on Sunday. Yoga involves a lot of time on the balls of my feet balancing, so I think my toe deserved a day to heal before I pushed it. Where's a cure minor wounds spell when you need it? Razz

This week started in on "phase 2" of the program. This part is also 4 weeks long, with 3 weeks of "harder" workouts and 1 week of "recovery", except two of the workouts (Chest & Back and Shoulders & Arms) are replaced with two different workouts (Chest, Shoulders & Triceps and Back & Biceps, respectively). Still a lot of work, but harder on the arms.

Chest, Shoulders & Triceps is a lot of work, but it seems to be harder on the triceps. Probably because I don't use them that much. This one had a lot of push ups and weight work. My left arm is a little weaker than my right (I'm right handed)...I could do one or two more reps with the right arm. I figure I'll even out a little since I'm pushing even harder with the left right now.

Back & Biceps. Ouch. Tons of pull ups and curls. Ever work out a muscle so hard that even when you're done it still feels like it's fully contracted? Yeah, that was my biceps on Wednesday. Even when my arms were straight it felt like I was flexing my arms as far as they could go. Weird feeling. It went away within 30 minutes of finishing the workout, but still a sign that I was definitely having to work at this one.

Special new torture that comes during Back & Biceps: "corn cob pull ups". Wide front grip (hands wider than the shoulders). Pull up, and while at the top, move entire body to the right, then to the left, then to center, then backwards away from the bar, then forwards, before going back down. This is nothing like eating a cob of fresh grilled, lightly buttered sweet corn...dammit. Mad

During Legs & Back yesterday though, I did several of the pull ups of each set without putting weight on the chair, and then followed with chair assistance going up (but not down). Improvement! bounce

Oh, and during Yoga X on Thursday night, I managed the crane pose for at least 20 seconds, tipped out of it onto my feet, then went right back to it again for another 15 seconds or so. I can feel that one in my wrists during the pose, but it's not bad for someone that's only been trying it for a few weeks.
AD's Fitness Mini-Blog Cranep10

Still hating the Ab Ripper X routine that I'm getting 3 days a week (and probably will always hate that one). I'm doing a little better at it, but I still can't fully keep up with everything they're doing in the video. However...regular sit-ups outside the workout are easier than they used to be.
cheers
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Skywatcher Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Great job on sticking with it The Amethyst Dragon. My younger brother and nephew are doing it as well, and they are both loving it (they started off in pretty good shape, and now they are getting ripped, especially my nephew (he is 24, my brother is 50).

I am still just running and Total Gyming, but I did manage to do the Corinth MS CocaCola 10K in 61:54, which is not bad for 53. My next goal is to "Run the Cumberlands" which is the 8K After Dark Race for the Park in August in less than 50 (previous best was 52), the Fall Fun Fest 10K in 62 minutes (TOUGH course, previous best was 64 minutes), and then the Haunted half in October in 2:20, last year was 2:29).

The only problem with running is the time it takes to get a run in 5 days a week, so I know how hard it must be for you with children!

Skywatcher
Skywatcher
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 551
Main Character : Velvet Stormcaller
Other Character : Skywatcher Stormcaller
Other Character. : Lyann Twiceborn
NWN Username : Skywatcher
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Alundaio Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:05 am

I recommend books by Lyle McDonald. I think there are e-books laying around you can get for free or I can e-mail you them. He is a genius and took The Body Opus to a whole new level with UD2. He has dieting and body building down to an exact science. You would probably be more interested in his Ketogenic Diet book but if you are serious and have access to a gym do The Ultimate Diet 2.0. I've done UD2 last year and had some amazing results. I'm going repeat it again this summer.

Seriously, You don't know pain until you do a ridiculous 6 sets of 15 for each muscle group Monday, Tuesday, Thursday while having almost no carbohydrates. But the carb loading is awesome!
Alundaio
Alundaio
Aenean Scholar
Aenean Scholar

Male Number of posts : 372
Main Character : Alundaio
Time Zone : GMT-04:00 (EST)
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:55 am

Thanks for the feedback so far, folks.

I'm still keeping up with the workouts (mostly). I had a couple things come up that made me miss a few days (tons of work moving furniture and related work for getting carpet replaced one day, getting sick for a couple days soon after, then family commitments with my father in law getting an infected artificial knee removed and replaced), so I'm 3 or 4 days behind where I should be. But, I'm back in it, and I'm contemplating doubling up a few days worth of workouts to "catch up".

Right now I'm finishing up with the workouts for week 8, which is a "recovery week", with core work, cardio, and stretching and yoga. 2 more days until I get back into the "hard" weeks.

I've started adding a little something randomly. Every day, even if it's not a back-focused day, I'm now doing some unassisted pull-ups. Just throw up the bar, knock a few out, and put it away. I'm up to doing 6 or so before my form goes bad. Smile It's kind of like back in high school when I'd just do some before P.E. every day...just nowhere near as many. Razz

Another observation during one of my workouts this week...I've started to get into some of them. I really noticed it during the kenpo workout a few days ago. I was about 3/4 of the way through, when I realized that if I wanted to (I did) and had the time (I didn't), I could have gone another hour.

I don't know if anyone else has had that feeling when doing something physically difficult, but just before the cool down segment started I was kind of disappointed. I just felt the need for more...almost like a deep hunger for the exertion (the kenpo x workout is an agressive cardio workout with punches, grabs, kicks, and blocks, with just a few very short breaks). If I hadn't committed to baking and frosting a cake for someone my wife works with, I would have skipped the cool down and restarted the workout.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Awesome, The Amethyst Dragon Smile
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:48 pm

It's been over two months since I posted in this mini-blog, but as of last night, I've finished the entire round of P90X!

It took a little longer than I'd originally planned. With going on vacation (and not really exercising while in Wisconsin for almost two weeks), I decided to set myself back three weeks when I returned. I wanted to make up for the time I'd lost (and extra I always end up eating more while with family that I hadn't seen in a long time).

The last four weeks, I've been joined by the Mrs. Dragon. Smile She's doing the lean version (more cardio, more reps at lighter weights, slightly less strength building). I'm proud of her, because it's hard to get started with working out every day.

Saturday night was yoga. I managed to stay in crane pose (that's the one pictured above, balanced on my hands) for the full minute. Shocked

I took the fit test again this afternoon to compare how I was starting out with how I was after the program.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fit Test (before and after 1 full round of P90X):
Resting Heart Rate: 63 beats/minute - unmeasured (I forgot to do it this morning right when I woke up)
Wide Front Pull Ups: 2.5 (starting goal: 3) - 5.5 (wide front ones are the harder ones, by the way)
Vertical Leap: 15 inches (starting goal: 5 inches) - 18.5 inches
Push Ups: 25 (starting goal: 15) - 41
Toe Touch: -6 inches (starting goal: -6 inches) - -2 inches (four more inches of flexibility!)
Wall Squat: 1 min. 20 sec. (starting goal: 1 min.) - 2 min. 35 sec. (back against wall, legs at 90 degree angle "sitting position" for as long as possible)
Bicep Curls (20 pounds each hand, max. 1 second rest between each curl): 24 (starting goal: 10) - 32
In & Outs: 28 (starting goal: 25) - 101 cheers (sitting, holding feet above floor while moving them in toward body and away again - Ab City...that damned Ab Ripper X routine is paying off)
Maximum Heart Rate: 185 beats/minute - 179 beats/minute (after 2.5 minutes of jumping jacks, last 30 seconds as fast as possible)
- after 1 min. rest: 143 beats/minute - 126 beats/minute
- after 2 mins. rest: 127 beats/minute - 115 beats/minute
- after 3 mins. rest: 118 beats/minute - 113 beats/minute
- after 4 mins. rest: 118 beats/minute - 108 beats/minute

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Improvement in all of them. And one very pleased dragon. Sure, I'm not cut like the guys in the infomercial (yet), but that's because I'm not the type to drastically change my eating habits overnight (when I'd just end up regaining it after anyway)...this way is more slow replacement of fat with muscle mass (I've actually gained a pound since I started (after losing several), and my muscles are now much more dense than when I started). I can once again see the muscles moving when I move almost any part of my body.

Arms: noticeably bigger, I've got biceps and triceps again Smile
Shoulders: noticeably harder (even if my left one has been aching the last couple of weeks)
Back: stronger
Thighs: my runner's quads have returned Smile
Calves: I had to buy relaxed fit pants because regular fit wouldn't easily go over them anymore. Smile Most calf muscles I've ever had.
Flexibility: definitely improved
Balance: improved

I must say, the program definitely works. It can be difficult to carve out 60-90 minutes a day, but it pays off. Really, the time commitment is the biggest hurdle for me. But, I feel stronger and healthier (and some of my clothes fit better, except my pants...those I had to buy new ones because the old ones kept trying to fall off!). Even feeling stiff the next day after a hard workout is kind of a good feeling, because I know I worked and will just end up stronger and more fit.

And tonight...I'm starting another 13 week round of P90X. Twisted Evil Chest & Back + Ab Ripper X. Bring it.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by plane_abe Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:52 am

Good Luck The Amethyst Dragon!
plane_abe
plane_abe
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Male Number of posts : 59
Main Character : Ivellios Galonodel + Flash
Other Character : Xanaphia Galonodel
NWN Username : plane_abe
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:00 am

Way to go, that's awesome! cheers
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1119
Main Character : Sir Rayvensclaw Nightkind Leader of the Clan of Night
Paladin/Champion of Dalix/Wizard
NWN Username : Rayven Nightkind
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Svair Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Any more updates? Are you still using the P90X workouts?

Svair
Svair
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:15 pm

I've been a slacker and have just been getting started again. Painful, and actually mentally harder to get started again after a break. I had an easier time keeping motivated the first time through.

With very active and mobile offspring and more demands on my time with carting my kids to/from a charter school this year (and more homework to help with), plus searching for a new house (which I am soooo sick of doing), it's a mental struggle to take 60-90 minutes out of every day to exercise.

I am getting started again though, I just haven't bothered to post anything more (it's only been about a week).
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Svair Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:29 pm

No worries, I was just curious.

I just bought a "cheap" door frame workout box, but was disappointed in the lack of informational content and suggest routines. I'm interested in the P90X set, but don't know if I can afford it plus the heart monitor, dumbbells, or whatever else might be involved. I'm also finding out that eating right is expensive all in of itself.

Edit #2: Wow, online advertising is becoming more precise every day. When I first logged on, the advert was for some Tritton headphones I was just researching. After posting, the advert was for P90X.

Last edited by Svair on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:32 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Edit: "Just curious" but also rooting for you - the more success I hear of, the more motivated I get.)
Svair
Svair
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:41 pm

For P90X:

heart rate monitor: Nice to have, but I don't use mine for every cardio workout anymore. Doing a quick pulse check while watching a clock with a second hand would work. I can tell when I'm not working hard enough or going too hard.

dumbbells: A good investment is a pair of adjustable-weight ones. I shelled out about $60 for mine at Target, but they go from 5 to 25 pounds each, and I can hold both if I need extra weight for certain exercises. I'm not that strong, so for the repeated curls and such, the 25# in each hand works very well (easy at first, but killer by the end of the sets).

yoga mat: Very good to have for the yoga day each week.

yoga blocks: I use a full case of soda cans. Razz

push up bars: I didn't bother getting these. They give a little more range of motion, but that's about it.

P90X recovery drink: I never bothered to buy the stuff. I go gatorade/powerade (the low cal or no cal stuff) during the workouts, then a shake after (protein powder, creatine powder, chocolate syrup or strawberry puree, and a whole banana) with vitamins (multivitamin, magnesium, and glucosamine). Much cheaper than their packaged drink, and more suited to my taste.

eating right: Yeah, definitely the most expensive part.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level