Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to Craft Traps

+3
RustyDios
daveyeisley
Ramana Jala
7 posters

Go down

How to Craft Traps Empty How to Craft Traps

Post by Ramana Jala Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:47 pm

((For those looking for how to Craft a Trap, just skip all the experimentation, discovery, and debate, and move on down this page to the results, highlighted in violet.))

Okay, I tried to make a trap in a Crafting Anvil, and it didn't work.  Not sure where I should post this, but since there's no thread specifically about How To Craft Traps, maybe my problem might help others.  Please tell me where I haven't understood the proper procedure.

Firstly, my toon currently has Craft Trap skill 10.  I hope that means that she can craft DCs up to d20+skill, therefore atm she can craft up to DC 30 traps?  (I seem to recall that was how it worked in my last PW.)  To test lower DC trapmakings than what I did, I'd have to hunt down other ingredients, so thought that just asking might save time.  Edit:  I did indeed hunt down ingredients for a DC 5 trap, and it went the same way, no results.

So, let's start with the recipie:

Electrical Trap Kit, Minor
Code: t2a
Materials: Quartz, Leather Strings
Skill: Craft Trap
DC: 20

Then what I did and what happened:

1.  I entered the code ";;craft goal t2a".  Then after much research I came across the command ";;craft trap xxx"  so on another run-through I entered the code ";;craft trap t2a".

2.  I opened the Crafting Anvil in the Rising Sun.

3.  I put 1 Quartz in the Anvil (also tried 2 for good measure) along with 1 Leather Strings.

4.  Closed the Anvil. The engine said: "Selected Object is not an identified item in your inventory."  Then the engine took an Animal Empathy check (DC 0) and declared the Crafting Successful.  An AE check seemed strange.

5.  I opened the Anvil, and the components remained unchanged, with no trap resulting.

So, am I supposed to maybe use the Select Command on the Anvil, the components, or something?  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Ramana Jala on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

How to Craft Traps Empty Re: How to Craft Traps

Post by daveyeisley Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:44 am

I do believe the select tool is required, but i think you need a "trap barrel" from Smitty's in the Vale. If you have certain classes, you will see an option in Smitty's conversation to see the "special" stock. The barrels should be available there.

Once you have a barrel, it contains trapmaking ingrediants which are measured in charges, I believe. When the barrel gets low, you should be able to use the select tool on it and then enter your ;;craft trap xxx command. If you have the correct stuff, I belive this adds charges to the barrel.

I am not 100% sure on this, however.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : How to Craft Traps Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:57 am

I have a trap barrel/box from Smitty's, but it seemed like another separate avenue, as the Crafting Instructions on the glowing pillar at the Rising Sun workshop didn't mention anything about that, or how to integrate that with the Anvil and its stated procedure for making a trap. (I also saw Smitty give me the option of recharging my barrel at a price, although I wasn't sure about the relative quantities of the chargings being offered for his three levels of cost.)

I was hoping I could just make traps with the quartz and leather strings, like the Instructions implied, as the cost of crafting a trap by a trap box is rather prohibitiive. The original NWN crafting was just to have enough Craft Trap and the right ingredients, and you can make it without additional arbitrary gold requirements. Those gold requirements seem to just be there to put a governor on how many of the higher damage traps you can make. Although I can understand the desire to have that governor, as at my previous PW the ability to craft Deadly Electrical traps was regulated by scarcity of quartz to find and collect to make them, and Epics weren't even craftable.

So, can anyone verify the procedure for making traps with the Anvil?

Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:00 pm

I would like to point out that the information from the crystals in the Rising Sun may be out of date somewhat... I regret to say that I haven't updated my Player House in quite a while, but am in the process of creating a new house... ...

I've not personally tried to craft a trap myself at all ..... but it may require that you also be a rogue ... I'm not sure ...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:41 pm

My toon is both a Ranger and a Rogue, both classes have Craft Trap as class skill, so got it covered there.

So, sure, if the info is out of date, someone just let me know what the current exact procedure is, or confirm Dave's best guess up above.
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:27 pm

Perhaps something in here may help (none of my Rogues Craft Traps; just Disarm or Recover):

https://aenea.aforumfree.com/t2986-mar-1-testing-a-new-traps-option
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Okay, thanks, that seems to indicate that the Anvil is no longer used for Trap Crafting, and crafting a trap can be done anywhere with the Trap Boxes. I'll have to try mine out now, and see how much it docks me for making the various levels of traps. The expensive part I was referring to earlier was the gold required that I saw listed in the Trap Box description list, several thousand gold required for a Deadly Electrical. I'll make a Minor Electrical and see what happens.
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:05 am

I think I've worked out how to Craft a Trap:

1. Buy a Trap Materials Crate of the appropriate Type, from Smitty. No other material components are necessary.

2. It comes 'empty', so before you use it you have to buy 'contents' for the Crate with Smitty. The gold you pay becomes this Crate's reservoir to create its different levels of traps as listed by gold cost in the Crate's description.

3. Go to a "properly stocked Workshop". Bluebeard's Tower qualifies. You won't actually mechanically use anything there, you just have to be inside the Workshop.

4. Make sure you have the appropriate skill ranks to craft the level trap you desire (chart below). Put on all equipment augmenting this, of course. Your Craft Trap Skill plus a d20 Roll must be equal to or higher than the Craft Trap DC. (Therefore to guaranteee 100% success 100% of the time, your Craft Trap skill, fully augmented by equipment and buffs, must be at least equal to the DC minus 1. Since 1 is the lowest d20 you can roll, and I thought that I heard that a roll of 1 here at Aenea is not a fail ?)

5. Use your Select Tool to select the Crate you're working with. Then type in the command " ;;craft trap xxx " where xxx is the code to specify the trap desired, chart below.

6. Right click to activate the radial menu on the Crate, and choose Use.

If you have enough skill ranks and enough gold reservoir in the Crate Kit, your trap will be made. The gold required will have been deducted from the reservoir in that Crate.

CHART ( from https://aenea.aforumfree.com/t1719-aenea-craft-system-item-requirements )

This chart doesn't list Epic traps, although I read somewhere in this forum that Epic Traps crafting was supposed to be made available here. (Although by original NWN1 mechanics, as the NWN1 Wiki says, "Epic traps are not craftable.")

Acid Splash Trap Kit, Minor
Code: t1a
DC: 15

Acid Splash Trap Kit, Average
Code: t1b
DC: 25

Acid Splash Trap Kit, Strong
Code: t1c
DC: 30

Acid Splash Trap Kit, Deadly
Code: t1d
DC: 35

Code: t2a

Electrical Trap Kit, Average
Code: t2b

Electrical Trap Kit, Strong
Code: t2c

Electrical Trap Kit, Deadly
Code: t2d

Fire Trap Kit, Minor
Code: t3a

Fire Trap Kit, Average
Code: t3b

Fire Trap Kit, Strong
Code: t3c

Fire Trap Kit, Deadly
Code: t3d

Frost Trap Kit, Minor
Code: t4a

Frost Trap Kit, Average
Code: t4b

Frost Trap Kit, Strong
Code: t4c

Frost Trap Kit, Deadly
Code: t4d

Gas Trap Kit, Minor
Code: t5a

Gas Trap Kit, Average
Code: t5b

Gas Trap Kit, Strong
Code: t5c
DC: 40

Gas Trap Kit, Deadly
Code: t5d
DC: 45

Holy Trap Kit, Minor
Code: t6a

Holy Trap Kit, Average
Code: t6b

Holy Trap Kit, Strong
Code: t6c

Holy Trap Kit, Deadly
Code: t6d

Negative Trap Kit, Minor
Code: t7a

Negative Trap Kit, Average
Code: t7b

Negative Trap Kit, Strong
Code: t7c

Negative Trap Kit, Deadly
Code: t7d

Sonic Trap Kit, Minor
Code: t8a

Sonic Trap Kit, Average
Code: t8b

Sonic Trap Kit, Strong
Code: t8c

Sonic Trap Kit, Deadly
Code: t8d

Spike Trap Kit, Minor
Code: t9a
DC: 5

Spike Trap Kit, Average
Code: t9b

Spike Trap Kit, Strong
Code: t9c

Spike Trap Kit, Deadly
Code: t9d

Tangle Trap Kit, Minor
Code: t10a

Tangle Trap Kit, Average
Code: t10b

Tangle Trap Kit, Strong
Code: t10c

Tangle Trap Kit, Deadly
Code: t10d

Blob of Acid Trap Kit, Minor
Code: t11a

Blob of Acid Trap Kit, Average
Code: t11b

Blob of Acid Trap Kit, Strong
Code: t11c

Blob of Acid Trap Kit, Deadly
Code: t11d

Among all the Crates for every Type of trap, the gold required to craft increases with the level of the trap. Here's a chart from the description for the Electrical Traps Crate, below. As you can see, the Deadly and especially the Epic are quite expensive. I skimmed over the costs in the other Crates' descriptions and higher Electrical traps seem to be the costliest, which one would expect for a rule of cost being in proportion to the damage (and therefore their high cost acts as a governor on how many of these anyone will craft).

Trap Materials, Electrical:

Minor 260
Average 794
Strong 1312
Deadly 3175
Epic 12700

Last edited by Ramana Jala on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:00 am; edited 9 times in total
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:24 am

Nice job! It would have taken me all evening to have written that much, if I ever figured it out in the first place! Kudos!

Recommend this info to be placed on a sticky somewhere.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks. But I'm sorry to say that this system makes me wonder if I want to invest very much in Craft Trap, as it's not the cheap backup protection and accessory weapon for a squishy rogue as it used to be. It doesn't seem like many others want to craft traps either, judging from how people had to even guess at the basic trap crafting procedure. I'd like to offer my view, which may be taken as a suggestion for a return to more cost-effective trapmaking. Of course I'm not privy to the entire balancing-of-power that goes on in designing a PW, and if making crafting of strong and deadly traps more accessible would completely overpower a rogue, especially when on occasion she might find herself in a group adventure.

Originally in crafting a trap one just needed the ingredients, like several quartz and some leather strings, with your Craft Trap skill, and then making a trap was free. I think that was Aenea's previous Anvil procedure, although I don't know if it was entirely free to craft with that method (after finding and/or purchasing the ingredients, I mean). More damaging traps simply required more ingredients, and such did not escalate exponentially in cost. Most traps could be made for under 100 gold by purchasing the ingredients, or without gold by questing for them (although one would have trip expenses, like healing kits and etc).

Like I mentioned before, I am aware of the philosophy of putting a governor on the more damaging traps, and at my previous PW that was done by making quartz something that had to be searched and quested for (or contractors hired to find it and sell it to you), and other ingredients were limited in how many could be purchased each day in a shoppe. And Epics were not only uncraftable (as per original NWN), but also nowhere to be recovered. Perhaps you could cut down on how many shops sell the ingredients, to where only Alchemists sell all of them, including quartz. But I'm not sure that it's really necessary to put such limiting factors on trap crafting anyway, because most weapons hit forever for free, so why should the weapon of a trap cost a whole lot, each time one is made (instead of only one initial investment like for an especially damaging weapon, even)? One has to have the skill, traps have to be made, they are bulky to carry, and they take time and another skill to deploy. Would cheap trap crafting (without Epics of course) really upset the balances of power?

A rogue already has to pay for every scroll she uses, and despite the rogue's reputation as being able to get lots of money quick, I find my ranger-rogue pretty much broke all the time (haven't yet run across those lucrative city burglary jobs, if they're out there), and needing to go out spelunkering, most often alone, to find loot. Where some well-placed traps are an important backup should you find a tough baddie or a crowd chasing you through the tunnels. But by this current method, the more effective crafted traps are not cost-effective weapons, and such severely limits a rogue's (or ranger's) defensive survival and offensive tactics, and limits the ability to solo quests and tasks when there's no one to group up with. Which was one of the reasons I immediately liked this server, is that while one could have RP when others were available, the mechanics seemed set up to enable solo play, for most tasks not requiring the scheduling of a group to accomplish. Making one of a rogue's most basic tactics hard to afford seems counter to this.

I may have to stay with the method she has right now, which is to scavenge Recover lots of minor traps, then use them by taking a fair amount of time required to lay out about twenty minor traps before potentially engaging a group (and sometimes dawn comes before she's ready, lol, and the baddies disappear). Perhaps I will just invest in Disable Device and see how many more traps are around available to Recover. You implied that that was your method, Elhanan.

Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:41 pm

At low levels where gold is scarce, I dont think it should be cheap to make deadly level traps, personally. The deady and epic ones are really nasty, and should involve high cost. Its not like they are limited use per day or anything, and spamming traps is ridiculously powerful. Limiting the reagents availability will just have the side effect of only a few PCs being able to stock them, and other PCs never being able to find them (similar to some of the old 'once-per-reset' encounters, etc, which frankly, suck.)

Because the traps stack now, you can carry a lot more in less space than the default NWN traps. Minor traps might not be all that potent, but they are cheap. If you want to save time and use less traps, you can go for the average or even the strong traps.

I think the goal for the costs of the traps is to make it difficult or near impossible to have stacks and stacks of potent traps at low level, in order to reduce the tactics of layering a bunch of traps for every encounter and the enemies all dying without the character being subject to a single attack roll. Sure, you can do this, but it will either take a long time and use a bunch of minor traps... or you would have to pay a lot of money for better traps to make it faster and more trap efficient.

I think I understand what you are looking for, and while I sympathize with the pains of being low level and broke, changing the higher level traps to make them easier and cheaper to stockpile would be problematic.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:07 pm

I do not use traps much; usually only in solo mod play. However, I believe that one may recover traps the usual way here, and have an abundant supply to use until one desires to Craft them. Or even purchase traps from certain shops that are already made.

However, I do agree that any Crafting should be cost effective. It would not make much sense to Craft a trap, weapon, armor, or device that would be sold at a significant loss. Profits should be monitored to avoid exploitation, but I cannot see investing in Feats that will be penalizing to my character in the long run.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:22 pm

I'm not putting forth that a low-level should be able to make or set Deadly level traps. And I'm not asking for Epic level traps, which the original engine doesn't even allow to be crafted, and would have to be found and Recovered if the Game Master even wants to have them in the game.

A lower-level character can't Craft or even use (Set) higher level traps anyway, unless you find some really good skill-augmenting gear, as the Craft Trap and Set Trap skills are of course higher for more damaging traps. I haven't seen a lot of that kind of gear here (a helm, a pair of gloves, and an amulet), and that stuff may already be level-limited, or could be level-limited, so that lower levels can't Craft or Set high-level traps.

As for laying powerful traps being spamming, to me it's always seemed to be not really spamming but a great leveler, that makes a rogue able to hold her own in a different but nearly as effective way as a real fighter or paladin could. But then I've played most at a PW where components and especially quartz were hard to come by, and traps didn't stack (as you mentioned), so there was much more inconvenience involved which limited how many Deadlies one could have on hand at any one time.

But I suppose that by the time my toon reaches the level where she can actually Craft and Set those Deadly Traps, then maybe she will have lots of gold and it won't be an issue anymore. I hope that's the case for Aenea, as during years of playing her elsewhere at higher levels up to level 20 last year, she's been always broke. I'm not exactly sure why, as other classes at higher levels seemed to have hundreds of thousands of gold extra. I've suspected that it was because, being half Rogue, she's always been squishier than fighter and paladin or elder wizard types and so couldn't solo the really lucrative dungeons (and cheap traps, even and especially at her higher levels, were totally helpful in compensating this quite a bit). *shrugs* Not really sure. Tips on finding lots of gold here in Aenea would be appreciated. Wink

Last edited by Ramana Jala on Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:17 pm

Money making tips ....
1) appraise works wonders ...
2) head down into drow territory, find loads of cloaks, sell them to someone ((someone that ISN'T smitty))...
3) hunt in the underdark (gems from the umberhulks, pure gold /potions from mind flayers.. sell)...
4) go after the beholders.. they're tough to handle but the rewards in loot are well worth it .. either deathwater isle or the underdark tunnels ....

5) get hold of a few bags/pouches (cheap from Mr.Mard in mountainholme castle) fill them with everything of +1 or better and sell when you get back to town....
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Yes, with a little effrot at mid to high level, money is not hard to come by. Sure, you may spend a few hours hunting a few specific spots, and then an hour or so selling the loot... but it is possible to have several hundred thousand gold in a single run if luck is on your side.

Where you hunt will have a great impact on your success, and the best place to hunt is different for different character builds. You basically want to engage enemies that arent overly deadly to your build, but have moderate to good value in their loot. Collect 20 or 30 items that each sell for 2k to 10k, and well... you get the picture.

The underdark is a place full of danger and riches.... the cauldron also holds some very hot, but wondrous treasures. If you are good at ambushes and sneak attacking (especailly if you have HiPS), you may want to skirmish with the Orcs in Knort Scrar, but they can be very nasty in large numbers, so be careful. The upside is, they often carry magical weapon and armor. I would try it until at least level 10, and even then it may be really deadly.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:46 pm

Well, I'll keep all this in mind, and as soon as I discover where the drow, underdark, beholders, or the cauldron are, I'll go see. And to find Orcs, just go northwestish, right?

Yes, ambushes and sneak attacking is my little ranger's forte. Next level she'll have her HIPS, then she can properly do her hit-and-run tactics. But a True Seeing enemy is her achilles heel, and totally so if it's a crowd. Crowds that can't TS or run very fast (she has the doublespeed boots), she can handle pretty well, trap them up or just keep running around and shoot them. Even without HIPS she's been successfully giving the bandits the run-around.

It has been a little difficult gauging the strength of opponents, though (I'm used to having a relative difficulty rating in their description). That mage in Calithia, even with throwing Dispel Magic and Sneak Attacking, hardly gave him a scratch for him killing me five times. Don't have any clue when I'll be able to tackle him.

But thanks for the help, I'll keep on keeping on and dream of riches (hundreds of thousands, you say?).... queen
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Skywatcher Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:32 pm

I suggest trap recovery. Get your disarm up high, then there are several places to recover deadly traps which are not guarded by high level mobs.

Also, to earn money as a rogue/ranger, I would recommend orcs if you are high enough level. Avoid the goldfangs unless you have fire resistance, and avoid destroyers unless you are crit immune and epic, but the standard orcs in Tesh drop this real nice acid damage axes from 1 to 5 enchantment, and they bring big bucks. Bandits used to be big bucks, when they dropped staffs, but their drops got nerfed, so now they are just trouble for low levels. (Velvet hated bandits, but by golly, she hunted them anyway, because those staff drops were worth the risk!)
Skywatcher
Skywatcher
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 551
Main Character : Velvet Stormcaller
Other Character : Skywatcher Stormcaller
Other Character. : Lyann Twiceborn
NWN Username : Skywatcher
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:28 pm

I, too miss bandits having more than a minuscule chance to drop an awesome item.

As for the old Mage in Calithia... he is like a rite of passage. I, too, died many times before figuring him out. Here's a tip: if you want to melee him, be invisible when you talk to him so when he goes hostile he won't be able to nuke you right away. If you're patient, just wait for the fire shield to wear off (it's only 1st/lvl) and then you can hit him without killing yourself. The stoneskin is still an issue, but a lesser spell breach scroll will strip it. Just make sure you have some form of spell protection when you attack. Good luck!
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:48 pm

Traps are VERY effective and very efficient IMO.

I've cleared out the entire dark realms using nothing but traps. No melee, no archery, no magic.

The trick is to know your traps. IMO the best bang for the buck is the sonic traps. While an epic sonic trap does FAR less damage than an epic fire trap (if i recall correctly, 40d4 sonic damage vs a 60d6 fire damage output)... the sonic trap is fAR superior. It's something like 1/10th the cost to make, VERY few, if any NPCs have sufficent sonic resistance to stand up to it, and best of all, there's no save vs the *damage*, as the save is applied for avoiding the stun.

Holy traps are the next best, at least for demons and undead. Demons have holy damage vulnerability, so the holy traps do even more damage to those enemies than advertised on the traps. Like the sonic traps, the holy traps are also much cheaper to make than the big boomers like fire and electrical.

Not that the fire traps are all that bad... as mentioned, they do as much damage as a hellball (more actually as far as i remember), plus the fire trap has all that damage of one type, while hellball damage is spread out across 5 damage types.

And the trap crafting is easy and efficient really. I MUCH prefer Aenea's trap crafting to the default bioware model.

Fill your boxes with material at Smitty's (the value is applied as a variable BTW, not as charges)... There's no limit to how much value you can put into the boxes. And then just spam the vc command until you got as many traps as you want.

No inventory cluttered with materials, no mucking about with the crafting menu for every single trap made... it's a beautiful thing.

Hell... IMO... when my trapmaster rogue has killed a beholder elder before it even fully appeared from spawning, and has also taken down the balor nemesis within 7 seconds of it spotting her and giving chase... traps rock.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:43 am

Ramana Jala wrote:
But I suppose that by the time my toon reaches the level where she can actually Craft and Set those Deadly Traps, then maybe she will have lots of gold and it won't be an issue anymore. I hope that's the case for Aenea, as during years of playing her elsewhere at higher levels up to level 20 last year, she's been always broke. I'm not exactly sure why, as other classes at higher levels seemed to have hundreds of thousands of gold extra. I've suspected that it was because, being half Rogue, she's always been squishier than fighter and paladin or elder wizard types and so couldn't solo the really lucrative dungeons (and cheap traps, even and especially at her higher levels, were totally helpful in compensating this quite a bit). *shrugs* Not really sure. Tips on finding lots of gold here in Aenea would be appreciated. Wink

Trust me on this, when you're get level 20-25+ and start the higher level dungeons you'll have gold aplenty in no time. Smile

When I started out Celestin, I was broke all the time too. It gets better...it's part of the ritual once you start a new PC that you start off broke, but end off richer than the gods. king

Spoiler:

And I got to agree with Manny on the above. Traps are by far some of the most versatile weapons you can get.
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : Célestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:56 am

Thank you all for your advice, I've bookmarked this page and will refer to all of this good advice and tips again and again.

I've seen so many coolie items here, I look forward to having the gold to buy and play with them!

And glad to see that Traps rock here, from the feedback of some who do use them. Thanks again!

How to Craft Traps 853394 RJ
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:46 pm

After more experimentation, I discarded my previous procedure, discovering this to be more correct:

1.  Buy a Trap Materials Crate of the appropriate Type, from Smitty.  No other material components are necessary.

2.  It comes 'empty', so before you use it you have to buy 'contents' for the Crate with Smitty.  The gold you pay becomes this Crate's reservoir of "components" to create its different levels of traps as listed by gold cost in the Crate's description.

3.  Go to a "properly stocked Workshop".  Bluebeard's Tower Workshop qualifies.  You won't actually mechanically use anything there, you just have to be inside the Workshop. Edit:  Verified Manny's tip below, about it not being necessary to be in a Workshop.  Just ignore that error message.

4.  Make sure you have the appropriate skill ranks in Craft Trap to craft the level trap you desire (chart below).  Put on all equipment augmenting this, of course.  Your Craft Trap Skill plus a d20 Roll must be equal to or higher than the Craft Trap DC.  Therefore to guaranteee 100% success 100% of the time, your Craft Trap skill, fully augmented by equipment and buffs, must be at least equal to the DC minus 1 (since 1 is the lowest d20 you can possibly roll).  You might get by with a Craft Trap skill less than that, but you're taking a chance of failure, which might lose you some of your gold/"component" reservoir.

5.  Type in the command "
;;craft trap x " where x is the word "minor", "average", "strong", "deadly", or "epic".  This setting will persist across any different Crates you use, until you change this setting.

6.  On the Crate of the Type of Trap you want, right click to activate the radial menu and choose Use.  If you rolled the DC, a trap will appear in your inventory.

Skill: Craft Trap,  DC: 15

Skill: Craft Trap,  DC: 25

Skill: Craft Trap,  DC: 30

Skill: Craft Trap,  DC: 35

Skill: Craft Trap,  DC: 20

Fire Trap Kit, Minor

Fire Trap Kit, Average

Fire Trap Kit, Strong

Fire Trap Kit, Deadly

Frost Trap Kit, Minor

Frost Trap Kit, Average

Frost Trap Kit, Strong

Frost Trap Kit, Deadly

Gas Trap Kit, Minor

Gas Trap Kit, Average

Gas Trap Kit, Strong
Skill: Craft Trap,  DC: 40

Gas Trap Kit, Deadly
Skill: Craft Trap,  DC: 45

Holy Trap Kit, Minor

Holy Trap Kit, Average

Holy Trap Kit, Strong

Holy Trap Kit, Deadly

Negative Trap Kit, Minor

Sonic Trap Kit, Minor

Sonic Trap Kit, Average

Sonic Trap Kit, Strong

Sonic Trap Kit, Deadly

Spike Trap Kit, Minor
Skill: Craft Trap,  DC: 5

Spike Trap Kit, Average

Spike Trap Kit, Strong

Spike Trap Kit, Deadly

Tangle Trap Kit, Minor

Tangle Trap Kit, Average

Tangle Trap Kit, Strong

Tangle Trap Kit, Deadly

Last edited by Ramana Jala on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:56 am; edited 6 times in total
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:01 pm

Although you get the error message, you do not actually need to be in a workshop to make traps.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:37 am

Awesome! That makes it even more useful, she can make them situationally.

And btw, I've just found my first Epic Trap ever, that was a first for my whole NWN/RPGs history!

Now I wonder if we can truly craft Epics? I'll have to try it soon.
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:57 am

Yes, you can craft epic traps. There isn't an epic version of all the various traps though. Offhand, I believe there are epic level traps for fire, sonic, lightning and frost traps. All the others go up to the step below that (deadly?)
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:13 am

Great! Thanks for the info!

I'll try them out, and I'll post the Craft Epic Trap DCs when I discover them.

Traps List arranged by Craft DC:

DC 5

Spike Trap Kit, Minor
Skill: Craft Trap, DC: 5

DC 15

Skill: Craft Trap, DC: 15

Frost Trap Kit, Minor

Holy Trap Kit, Minor

Negative Trap Kit, Minor

Sonic Trap Kit, Minor

Tangle Trap Kit, Minor

DC 20

Skill: Craft Trap, DC: 20

Fire Trap Kit, Minor

Frost Trap Kit, Average

Holy Trap Kit, Average

Sonic Trap Kit, Average

Spike Trap Kit, Average

Tangle Trap Kit, Average

DC 25

Skill: Craft Trap, DC: 25

Fire Trap Kit, Average

Frost Trap Kit, Strong

Holy Trap Kit, Strong

Sonic Trap Kit, Strong

Spike Trap Kit, Strong

Tangle Trap Kit, Strong

DC 30

Skill: Craft Trap, DC: 30

Fire Trap Kit, Strong

Frost Trap Kit, Deadly

Gas Trap Kit, Minor

Holy Trap Kit, Deadly

Sonic Trap Kit, Deadly

Tangle Trap Kit, Deadly

DC 35

Skill: Craft Trap, DC: 35

Fire Trap Kit, Deadly

Gas Trap Kit, Average

Spike Trap Kit, Deadly

DC 40

Gas Trap Kit, Strong
Skill: Craft Trap, DC: 40

DC 45

Gas Trap Kit, Deadly
Skill: Craft Trap, DC: 45

Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Craft EPIC Trap DCs:

DC 60

Frost Epic Trap Kit

Sonic Epic Trap Kit

DC 65

Electrical Epic Trap Kit

Fire Epic Trap Kit

Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down