Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to create CEP placeables

4 posters

Go down

How to create CEP placeables Empty How to create CEP placeables

Post by Ramana Jala Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:27 am

Recently I've been trying to build a player house, and thinking that this would help me better learn building in Aenea, so as to maybe build some areas for here. But I've never built any modules before that used the CEP, as the last PW I was at for many years did not use CEP.

So I've gotten the entire house interior terrain created in the Elven Interior Pasilli tileset, using all those tiles under the Paint Terrain/Standard tab. But in starting to try to lay down the placeables, I've noticed that for some special placeables that I've seen here in Aenea and am trying to find, especially water (to fill up the pit in the Elven tileset temple), their categories seem to be under the Custom tab, and are marked with asterisks which I take to mean that they are CEP content. There are also a few custom pieces of furniture that I can't find in the Standard Placeables, one being a certain tansu kitchen cabinet in Crideas' sanctum.

But as far as I can see, these CEP placeables have no blueprints under their categories, so I don't know how to use them. When I right click on the category, like Placeable Objects/Custom/Parks&Nature/Water,Snow,&Lava, about the only option it gives me is New. If I try to create something New, which is obviously a blueprint, then it starts off from scratch looking like an armoire and I can't even find any appearance option to make it look like a pool of water, and have no idea how to fill out all the Properties specifications.

I've scanned a few sites and manuals for this, but so far this is a mystery to me. I also asked Kefrem, the builder of Crideas' sanctum, who answered a couple of other points about that tileset, but I'm not sure that my question made sense to him on how to create a CEP custom blueprint for these empty categories, especially as regards water to fill this space. So can anyone point me to where I can find this information, or clue me in a little? Perhaps using the example of how to fill that pit with water might be the most helpful to me right now.

Thanks! study
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

How to create CEP placeables Empty Re: How to create CEP placeables

Post by Angel of Death Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:05 am

You don't really need a custom blueprint for a placeable, it's enough to right click an existing placeable and click the "Edit Copy", this brings up the properties menu. In that menu you can change the appearance (and anything else you wants) to fit what you need. Smile

How to create CEP placeables Untitl10

1) Go to the Placeable Menu and drop down a[ny] placeable. Right click that placeable and select the Properties option in the drown down menu, it will bring up the properties menu in a new window.

2) The Appearance type menu, this is one of the most important sections in this window. Click it and it brings down a menu where you can scroll through the various appearances available in your module. Smile

3) Should be done by that, but you can change whatever else as you fancy. (I like to change name, tag (and maybe resref, but I only create new blueprints for those placeables for which I know I need to use multiple times over several areas), description (if the placeable isn't static) to fit the appropriate appearance type I used--makes it prettier to look at. XD)

Last edited by Angel of Death on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed phrasing, to what I meant! :V)
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : CĂ©lestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:35 am

Yeah, drop any placeable down and edit the properties to match.... I believe last time I looked the "water tiles" are part of the floor coverings section in the drop down list...

Typing the first letters of something in the box will also take you to the *next* available match in the list....

And a good thing to remember is you CAN use standard windows shortcut keys in the Toolset to copy/paste placeables (and collections of placeables)... helpful if you've spent ages writting the description of itemxxx and want to fill a room with the same thing (most commonly I use it for placing chairs around large/inn-like rooms)....

The other benefit with editing the properties is it doesn't add to the module resource list at all, whereas a new blueprint will... if you could force things to behave as per their blueprint name 90% of The Rising Sun Clan House would turn into "arrow-filled-corpse" placeables.... ... ...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : How to create CEP placeables Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:12 am

Yes, for building a player house for Aenea, there's no need to create even a single new placeable blueprint. I wouldn't import them into the module anyway. The same for any other type of blueprint (item, creature, trigger, etc.) or script.

Just follow RustyDios' example...place any existing blueprint down, right-click it and edit it's properties. Use the appearance drop-down to pick the look you want (there are many!). Make sure the little box called "Static" is checked (unless it's a chair you want useable, or something you want the description to be viewable, like a piece or art or something).

I'm in the process of modifying the player build module to include a lot more placeable blueprints, all pre-tagged as "static" (which you need to do for most for a player house anyway). I'm trying to make it so that pretty much every placeable appearance available (and decent looking) has a blueprint for building with. I've made hundreds of such blueprints so far, with hundreds more to go. At least the things don't need descriptions. Smile
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:33 am

Okay, one just uses any random blueprint to edit copy, to make things for those CEP categories. So, doing that, I wonder if some of the item properties would be inappropriate. But I guess not, if it's just a static object -- arrow-filled corpses, eh? I'll use an original somewhat close to my intended result in any case.

And I see now that the water tiles are under Floor. Such a long list of Appearances, I missed it.

Thanks a bunch, everyone! I'll get to experimenting with this. study

P.S. - Looking forward to that new Player Build Module, The Amethyst Dragon! So I guess that every Area and Item that one has already built will have to be individually Exported out of the old module and Imported into the new module?
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:01 pm

Ramana Jala wrote:Okay, one just uses any random blueprint to edit copy, to make things for those CEP categories. So, doing that, I wonder if some of the item properties would be inappropriate. But I guess not, if it's just a static object -- arrow-filled corpses, eh? I'll use an original somewhat close to my intended result in any case.

And I see now that the water tiles are under Floor. Such a long list of Appearances, I missed it.

Thanks a bunch, everyone! I'll get to experimenting with this. study

P.S. - Looking forward to that new Player Build Module, How to create CEP placeables 787378! So I guess that every Area and Item that one has already built will have to be individually Exported out of the old module and Imported into the new module?

No need to "edit copy"...that'll just create another blueprint in the palette you probably don't need. Just paint down a random placeable, right-click on it (in the area display panel where you see your area), pick Properties, and change the appearance there. Also make sure the "static" box is checked. Smile Click "OK". There, you have a new placeable for your house. If you need more of that same placeable, click on it and hit Ctrl+C (copy), then Ctrl+V (paste)...and you suddenly have a new copy of the one you just changed (with your changes).

With the new player build module, you can either export your areas/items and import them into the new module, or you can export all the new placeable blueprints and import them into your current build module.

If you want to do a mass-resource export, go to File > Export. You can select many blueprints at the same time, add them, switch to another type, add those to the list, etc. Then all of the files will export at the same time.

It may be a while still until the new version goes onto the Vault for downloading. I know I've got at least a few hundred more blueprints to make. I'm setting them up so that I can add to and remove them from the full Aenea module as I'm building, so that I can use them myself without loading up the live module's resources list (and without putting them in a hak).
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:46 am

Fixed the phrasing of my post to say what I meant to say in the first place, but didn't for some reason--way to distracted at the time I guess? ... Rolling Eyes
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : CĂ©lestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:40 pm

I see, The Amethyst Dragon, you want me to edit the Instance of the Placeable, as this won't create another blueprint.

Okay, I started with a Floor Design instance, to make a Floor Symbol of Jewel. Looks good. But I have question as pertains to this specific placeable. I went to choose a Portrait, and I couldn't find any of the Aenea god symbols. Do they exist, and in which category under the portrait selection would I find them?

Thanks!
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:23 pm

Many of the placeables that I've made that won't be "useable" (such as the floor symbols) don't have their own portraits.

I haven't actually made any portraits of the holy symbols...maybe something to add to the suggestions section of the forum?
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:30 pm

Okay, then I'll make a list as I create placeables. In the meantime I guess I'll put a blank portrait or something close. Thanks!
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:01 pm

Oh, I just realized the implications of what you said, that placeables that aren't 'useable' you haven't made portraits for. This must mean that those placeables that merge with the landscape and so their descriptions can't be viewed, don't really need portraits.
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:27 pm

Ramana Jala wrote:Oh, I just realized the implications of what you said, that placeables that aren't 'useable' you haven't made portraits for. This must mean that those placeables that merge with the landscape and so their descriptions can't be viewed, don't really need portraits.

Any placeable marked with the "static" flag will merge into the background. So yes, the above is correct. Static placeables don't need descriptions or portraits, they can't be examined by a player. 90% of your household furniture should be marked as "static". It's better for the server, for loading times and to reduce lag. Unless it's something that a) does something b) needs to move/be moved or c) needs to be interacted with/examined then check it as "static".

It's a good idea to get into the habit of checking things with the "plot" flag too.. unless you want some powerhungry-aoe-witch to blow up half your house. Even some static items get blown up by aoe spells, evident in the OC too. I'd say chairs/tables/interactable should NOT be plot, ie if you can use it you can break it. Anything that can be read but should not be destroyed (hanging artwork, large history-of-PC books, statues, alters etc) mark as plot but not static. Everything else static and plot.

Don't forget doors can be hacked to bits too, unless you mark them plot. Any door (openable or locked) can be examined (there are no static doors!) so they make a good point for telling a player what room they are about to enter/exit. If you want a door to appear to go "further into the house" make an empty archway that leads to nowhere. Fill it with a door. Set plot. Set Locked. Set DC to max. Set requires a key. Set keytag field to "aueihfhsdhfjusbhgfidshngbaseudccihfkbjfpolldofnzhb" or similar (ie something no key is ever going be tagged as). Set descriptive text saying of the huge wine cellar etc. Voila, you just doubled the size of your house in a players mind without adding a thing.
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:22 pm

Thank you so much, I really appreciate this very useful information which I will certainly need to incorporate into my placeables!

study

Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:52 pm

I decided to overlay new flooring in a section of my house, and went through the CEP floorings to create a few placeables to see what I could do.

I found that the marble and tile floorings that were less than a room in size were hard to match seamlessly, even if I overlapped them (which brought clipping issues that were impossible to solve even with tweaking the z placement).

So I decided to use the huge 4x4 floorings, which worked really well except that the flooring extends off the sides of the entire house area. My question is, does this matter? When the area is compiled into the module, will these extensions still be visible, or will they become invisible past the edges of the area?

If this will be a problem, is there a trick to seaming floorings accurately?

And another question: If I have to raise the flooring z placement a few microns to entirely cover the substrate, will character feet sink into it, and be walking relatively on the substrate and not on top of the flooring? (I've discovered that I need to make the flooring at about .02 higher than the substrate for no show through. I don't know how deep a character's feet may sink into this, until I try the module.)

Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Have you ever noticed how far you sink into the floor in the craft room of the rising sun ? ... Smile z placement at 0.02 ...IIRC Smile
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks for the feedback, Rusty, I checked out the floor in that room. Not hardly noticeable, especially when the char has shoes on.

I think that multiple layerings could get tricky, like a mosaic on top of a tiling. Better to use just one layer of flooring and then a rug on top of that, because sinking into a plush carpet is normal.

And after looking at your floor, I've decided to try seaming tile flooring again, I'll just see if I can do it well enough.

Though I'm still curious as to whether those huge floorings that hang off the sides of the whole area will be invisible when the area is compiled into a module?
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:20 pm

They shouldn't be visible beyond the walls of an area.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Test it...

Add in a player start location (red circle, blue arrow... top right corner of the toolset-ish).... and play the module (f9) yourself to see what it looks like in game. If it works for you, then it'll likely (likely=99%) work in Aenea too.

There is a section of a 4x4 grass tile in the rising sun that you cannot see at one part unless you open a different door. I think as long as the "centre point" of the tile is in a "visible" location (ie mapped on the minimap at least once) then the tile will show.... if not it appears as a blank black void... ...

If it is off the edges of the map the placeable tile will not show off the map, but the original floor will (unless a wall exists at the map-edge, and for player housing I think it should)..... the old Calithia used to be a good place to demonstrate this concept with the old sand coverings in one of the wards, now I'm not sure where to point you for an example....
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Thanks, for the infos and tips!

BTW, I had wondered how the extended landscapes were made that are visible beyond an area, thought that might be because of this phenomenon.

Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down