Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Used: enemies in the beginning areas

3 posters

Go down

Used: enemies in the beginning areas Empty Used: enemies in the beginning areas

Post by daveyeisley Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:03 pm

i know im not the first nor only person to have had a lot of frustration and difficulty with spawns in the beginning areas because i made a character that was not "optimized" to be a combat terror. weaker starting characters sometimes, perhaps even often or frequently, get murdered by goblins and ants that spawn with high bonuses to their physical stats. i mean, at level 2, unless somebody helped me, or i make an optimized character, i cant beat one ant that has +8 to hit due to high strength and hits me for 5-10 dmg per shot.... let alone that ant along with one of his buddies.

sure, it doesnt happen in every encounter... but it happens enoguh to make the early levels overly frustrating. and at level 4 when the death XP loss gets worse, its an even bigger hit because the monsters give piddly xp and still arent much easier to killl to balance that reduced gain.

i think it would be an improvment to slightly raise the xp gain and lower or totally remove the stat bonuses on the enemies in starting areas.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Used: enemies in the beginning areas Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Used: enemies in the beginning areas Empty Re: Used: enemies in the beginning areas

Post by Kerrick Merwynne Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:17 pm

I didn't have a problem with this (thinking back, this is probably because I kept Kaliria in the Graveyard almost exclusively until level 9, and she's a cleric), but I can see how some would. I think this is a good idea. It's always nice to party up with folks too, but sometimes there's no option for that or you just want to be alone for a bit... I think perhaps raising the xp on the lower level kills up until maybe level 6 or 7 could be a good option. By then, even spellcasters should have some 3rd level spells that might help them even things out a bit.
Kerrick Merwynne
Kerrick Merwynne
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Number of posts : 118
Main Character : Kaliria Andressat
Other Character : Jym Tonguetangler
Other Character. : Grunder Sureshot, Dwarf for Hire
DM Name : Dungeon Master Varillor
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Used: enemies in the beginning areas Empty Re: Used: enemies in the beginning areas

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:59 pm

I'll make it so the ants and goblins don't fluctuate in ability scores, which should make things easier and even things out as far as battle with them goes.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:33 pm

that would do the trick, i think.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:19 am

I've altered the normal goblins (but not the shamans or berserkers) and the giant ant workers and soldiers. Now these guys don't fluxuate in ability scores.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down