Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: Races and alignments.

+9
Svair
RustyDios
Anthroplayer
Eric of Atrophy
MannyJabrielle
Mister Period
daveyeisley
Kerrick Merwynne
DerusTal
13 posters

Go down

Not Used: Races and alignments. Empty Not Used: Races and alignments.

Post by DerusTal Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:16 pm

Had a few ideas. Not sure if they're good, or if they're even well farmed, but here we go.

Demonspawn: Let them choose their traits (Wings, tail, horns, all) at creation, and maybe every 5-10 levels thereafter? To further reflect their evil (And chaotic, mind) tendencies from having demon blood, they are either:

A. Harder to turn towards good and lawful, even from killing monsters, or..
B. Take a 1-3 point hit towards chaotic and evil every few ingame hours.

Other races..
I noticed that while most monsters turn you good aligned on Aenea, there are mostly.. neutral or evil inclined (At least at first thought, I suppose) races. Wolfbloods, vampires, bestials, shadows, and drow come to mind.

Perhaps the addition of.. say, a celestial, aasimar, angelblooded, or eladrin type race?

Perhaps two? Maybe a race of, say, Prizimal servants, who are harmed by the moonlight (opposite of things like shadows, who are harmed by sunlight)

Thoughts?
DerusTal
DerusTal
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Number of posts : 270
Main Character : Mathian Derou
NWN Username : samanuske
Registration date : 2008-10-12

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Races and alignments. Empty Re: Not Used: Races and alignments.

Post by Kerrick Merwynne Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:31 pm

I think you have some interesting ideas... certainly worth thinking about, anyway.

I could be wrong here (I often am), but it seems to me that it would be easier to write a small script hitting Demonspawn characters for evil or chaotic alignment shifts every so often than it would to make it harder for them to take good alignment shifts. Either way, it makes sense to me.

The idea of coming up with a divinely descended race (I think Bright Gnomes are something close to this?) is a good one as well. Perhaps a race that due to its divine lineage offers things like a bonus to Fear saves and maybe a few points of Negative Energy resistance... and/or wings, or a bonus when casting positive energy spells... there's a lot that could be done there. I'd be in favor of this.
Kerrick Merwynne
Kerrick Merwynne
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

. : Dungeon Master
Number of posts : 118
Main Character : Kaliria Andressat
Other Character : Jym Tonguetangler
Other Character. : Grunder Sureshot, Dwarf for Hire
DM Name : Dungeon Master Varillor
. : Not Used: Races and alignments. Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:55 pm

On the demonspawn... as one who has stuck with them for more than a few levels (I know Wes/Mr. Period/Geron Millows has as well, and would love to hear his input- his demonspawn is over level 30, even with 30% penalty!!! Wow!!!)

I would be more irritated by my alignment shifting automatically with no action on my part than by losing my wings periodically.

The tail and the horns I could personally care less about, at least for my current demonspawn, because I didnt base my choice to have him be demonspawn on them... it was for the SR and the Wings.... and I just somehow missed reading about the changing traits bit... sigh... (my bad)...

My best suggestion for Demonspawn?

I think it is reasonable to assume the SR is one of the base "goodies" for the race, and should remain as is. Its a main reason why people pick the race, and its reliable. (not that anybody was talking about changing it, mind you)

The other traits, well, I honestly feel that any player who sizes up a Demonspawn is going to look at them and try to think how that race might fit with their character concept.... like what class, etc... and the traits for demonspawn (if they were ALL permanent, hypothetically) dont really lend themselves to any ONE class as a "perfect" combination... they are varied enough that there is ONE trait that would benefit MOST classes... and the others would kinda just be gravy when you happen to have them.

So... based on that logic... my suggestion is... let the player choose ONE trait they want, and have that choice be permanent... and either let the others be chaotic... or dont let them have the others at all... (sort of like a tiefling).
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Mister Period Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:47 pm

Interestingly enough, Geron falls within two recent topics. He is a demonspawn and a non-traditional cleric (Holy Magi of Mystara).

To the demonspawn characteristics changing, I have come to just accept it as normal. I honestly don’t really give it much thought. Losing the wings doesn’t matter with all the flight and transference items he’s collected. He’s developed tactics for the various waking transitions and just phases into the one he finds himself in.

Early on, though, the disappearing wings did catch him up. He’d flown up a cliff to better rain down divine might & the occasional arrow from relative safety. After the battle, he took a quick nap to recharge and lost his wings – in an area with no walkable way back down. It did provide an opportunity to finally tidy up his backpack.

The SR is quite nice, especially when coupled with the spell school immunities Mystara grants her servants. It is within the realm of possibility that Geron could wade through the arcane casting of even Crideas Bane and pop him in the nose with no ill effects. Mind you he’d rather keep that scenario as an academic exercise. Laughing

I fully intend for Geron to hit 40th level (he’s 36 now). And I believe I can safely say that when he finally hits it, that between the racial penalty and all the trips through the Great Halls, he will have invested more XP than any other character to reach that point.
Mister Period
Mister Period
Adventurer
Adventurer

Male Number of posts : 33
Main Character : Geron Milllows
Other Character : Laus Amraphen
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:01 pm

Mister Period wrote: It is within the realm of possibility that Geron could wade through the arcane casting of even Crideas Bane and pop him in the nose with no ill effects. Mind you he’d rather keep that scenario as an academic exercise. Laughing

Speaking from experience, it's better as an academic scenerio. Cribus likes to grope with those creepy big green glowing hands Wink
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:06 pm

Without a doubt, you will have invested more work in your character than anybody on the server.

And yes... I have done my research... the idea of combat with Geron Millows makes Crideas feel sick. 70 or 80% of his spells would do nothing based on the school immunities, and the rest would not be able to penetrate the spell resistance, without a hefty dose of abjuration to lower Geron's SR first... and even so... even with his feats and whatnot, Crid's success rate would stink.

The only thing he has in his arsenal that he could rely on is his epic spells (umm...yeah.... 1 use/day...woohoo?)... and his sword.

Wizard vs. Cleric in pure melee? You do the math.

Crid says, "No, thank you."
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:08 pm

I want a seat on the 50-yard-line for that match-up! Woo hoo! Bring on the pain! Twisted Evil
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthroplayer Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:20 pm

Well, it would be better for Vampires, FullDrow, and Demon/DevilSpawn to get points for good alignment much slower than any other race and get points for evil faster than any other race. This is a much better idea than automatic alignment points given every so forth game hours.

Also it would be nice for several more races to be added. Fullblooded Werewolves and Fullblooded Orcs would be wonderful to add, and make fullblooded werewolves have the same alignment 'penalty' as the Vamps,Drow,and Unholy spawn. Fullblood Werewolves should have less charisma and higher physical stats as well as all other abilities as Wolfbloods. Fullblood Orcs should have slightly less CHR than the Half-orc and a boost for physical stats.

Last but not least, let the Fullbloods have the same base race normal for their halfbloods, so that the subrace functions somewhat more normal. The fullblood orcs should also be disliked in the elven lands and more liked in the orcish lands, and apply the same for half-orcs with those factions.

I'm hoping this addition to the current races and possible two race additions will be considered, and might I suggest that FullbloodWerewolves have an even higher exp penalty than Halfbloods, as well as as the werewolf appearence. And give the fullblood orcs the orc appearence, orc shaman for any spellcasters and orc warrior for other classes.
Anthroplayer
Anthroplayer
Aenean Scholar
Aenean Scholar

Male Number of posts : 340
Main Character : Rick Sanneset
Other Character : Arion Bloodbane
Other Character. : Callis Fellfair
Other Character.. : Richard Deathbend
NWN Username : Anthroplayer
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:20 pm

MannyJabrielle wrote:
Mister Period wrote: It is within the realm of possibility that Geron could wade through the arcane casting of even Crideas Bane and pop him in the nose with no ill effects. Mind you he’d rather keep that scenario as an academic exercise. Laughing

Speaking from experience, it's better as an academic scenerio. Cribus likes to grope with those creepy big green glowing hands Wink

And you like to sing that song that is SO boring that it would would put a quickling to sleep
with no resistance of ANY sort. You chased him around the lake with that rubbish because
the song was so BORING it bored Crid's SPELLS to death.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:09 pm

I've always had fun fighting with crideas.... When he can hit me... I've actually managed to dispel his creepy hands using just a wand of arcane disjuction (dispel magic - a million-to-one shot) ... but if he really wanted to get you he'll just point that finger of disentegration your way... .... ... and sign me up for a frontrow Arena seat in the Crid vs Gerron mageduel.. it would just be comical to watch something Crid fears more than the Anti-magic bee's......... ........ hell I don't think Gerron would even *need* "to be there" ... just stand by and watch the auto-combat aoo kick in.....
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:37 pm

hey now... never said Crid "fears" Geron... he just gets a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach because he struggles to populate a list of things he could do to "cheat"... that would have any effect, anyway
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Svair Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:48 pm

daveyeisley wrote:
MannyJabrielle wrote:

And you like to sing that song that is SO boring that it would would put a quickling to sleep
with no resistance of ANY sort. You chased him around the lake with that rubbish because
the song was so BORING it bored Crid's SPELLS to death.

This should be in the "Funny Quotes" thread :-)
Svair
Svair
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1178
Main Character : Karamip Ningle
Other Character : Phyllick Delucian
NWN Username : S'Vair

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:01 am

daveyeisley wrote:hey now... never said Crid "fears" Geron... he just gets a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach because he struggles to populate a list of things he could do to "cheat"... that would have any effect, anyway

Boy does he ever cheat, lol, I went a few round hand to hand myself.
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1119
Main Character : Sir Rayvensclaw Nightkind Leader of the Clan of Night
Paladin/Champion of Dalix/Wizard
NWN Username : Rayven Nightkind
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Raising_Cain Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:41 pm

*shoves the topic back on track*
DerusTal wrote:
Other races..
I noticed that while most monsters turn you good aligned on Aenea, there are mostly.. neutral or evil inclined (At least at first thought, I suppose) races. Wolfbloods, vampires, bestials, shadows, and drow come to mind.

Perhaps the addition of.. say, a celestial, aasimar, angelblooded, or eladrin type race?

Perhaps two? Maybe a race of, say, Prizimal servants, who are harmed by the moonlight (opposite of things like shadows, who are harmed by sunlight)

Thoughts?

I like this idea--I kind of want there to be a good-aligned race, in which it can only go out in the sun. It bothered me a bit, that almost all the subraces are evil/neutral-ish, and~ not to mention that there could be something for people who really, really like playing goodie-goodies. Not only would that incorporate some sort of balance, but I think it would neat to walk around and have the sun set, and people going 'Damn the Moons!' at night, and 'Hail the Dawn!' in the morning(I think we all know what I'm talking about. Great incorporation of the setting, by the way, RustyDios.), and if you stay out too long, 'The slivers of darkness pierce your celestial heart!'...

Yeah. I like his ideas, honestly, along with the whole chaotic/evil points, and the consistence of the tieflings. Just saying.
Raising_Cain
Raising_Cain
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Female Number of posts : 132
Main Character : Valencia Locke
NWN Username : l Xll l
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by msterswrdsmn Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:50 pm

Yeah, having a few more "good" subraces might not be bad, especially since its much easier to keep a good alignment on your charactersheet. While there isn't anything really saying you MUST play a subrace by a specific alignment, an over-abudnancy of "i'm rebelling against my bloodline" people can really break the immersion of things. One is unique. Two or three is stretching it, but still there. 12-200 is not.
http://chugworth.com/?strip_id=48

Generally good drow/demonbloods/etc are evil due to inheret traits or society. Kind of like how red dragons are born being selfish, greedy creatures, but 's all probably a different debate.

Creating more "good" npc groups to help with an evil shift as well might be a good idea. Maybe making lower-level "evil" alternatives to hunting goblins? Like say...a nearby halfling village. Going past a certain area within a building via triggers causes all npcs within the faction to go hostile. Like say....a bank vault or, if we feel like throwing subility out the window, a nursery. Killing them would result in an evil shift.

Edited for a small suggestion

Last edited by msterswrdsmn on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
msterswrdsmn
msterswrdsmn
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 103
Main Character : Sei
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:07 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me! Balance things out a bit, and give us options different from the tried/tired angst-ridden self-loathing half-creature who doesn't fit in. first Evil or Very Mad, then Sad, and finally Cool (with his own book series)!

I second msterswrdsmn's sentiments above ... Laughing
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:46 pm

There is indeed a halfling village already near the vale Razz
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:06 pm

Shut down auto alignment shifting, so racial alignment tendencies do not have a purpose now.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down