Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: Remove Call Lightning Restrictions

2 posters

Go down

Not Used: Remove Call Lightning Restrictions Empty Not Used: Remove Call Lightning Restrictions

Post by Enterprise2001 Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:20 pm

In Aenea, the Call Lightning spell is restricted to "outdoor" locations only. I didn't remember this particular restriction in the OC, so I decided to test it out...

And it works just fine inside...

So, I looked it up in the PnP rule book:

If you are outdoors and in a stormy area—a rain shower, clouds and wind, hot and cloudy conditions, or even a tornado (including a whirlwind formed by a djinni or an air elemental of at least Large size)—each bolt deals 3d10 points of electricity damage instead of 3d6.

This spell functions indoors or underground but not underwater.

In fact, the damage is to be increased if outside in a storm (And I've seen it raining in Aenea... Very Happy ), but it only doesn't work underwater. Since I've seen items of "water breathing" that particular restriction would seem to apply in Aenea too. Smile

*wonders what's underwater in Aenea*
Enterprise2001
Enterprise2001
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 187
Main Character : Liam Hillbender, pure epic druid
Time Zone : Eastern USA (GMT -05:00)
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Remove Call Lightning Restrictions Empty Re: Not Used: Remove Call Lightning Restrictions

Post by daveyeisley Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:36 pm

One problem here:

The Amethyst Dragon used the 3.0 rules for Aenea. Your quote is the 3.5 spell info.

Official 3.0 SRD info on Call Lightning is as follows:

Call Lightning
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Drd 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 10 minutes, plus 1 action per bolt called
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Effect: See text
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes
To cast call lightning, the character must be in a stormy area (including a whirlwind formed by a djinn or air elemental of 7 HD or more). The character is then able to call bolts of lightning as long as the character remains in the stormy area. (The spell ends if the character leaves the stormy area.) The character can call down one bolt every 10 minutes. The character need not call a bolt of lightning immediately—other actions, even spellcasting, can be performed. However, the character must use a standard action (concentrating on the spell) to call each bolt. A bolt causes 1d10 points of electrical damage per caster level (maximum 10d10).
The bolt of lightning strikes down in a vertical stroke at whatever target point the character chooses, within range (measured from the character's position at the time). The bolt takes the shortest possible unobstructed path between a nearby cloud and the target. Any creature within a 10-foot radius of the path or the point where the lightning strikes is affected.
This spell can be used only outdoors. It does not function indoors, underground, or underwater.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Not Used: Remove Call Lightning Restrictions Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down