Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Partially Used: Some shifter ideas....

2 posters

Go down

Partially Used: Some shifter ideas.... Empty Partially Used: Some shifter ideas....

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:13 am

A method to use sacrificial flame while shifted. While it's not much of an issue for high level shifters who can shift in and out of the pre-epic forms unlimited times a day, it can be a hassle to clean up one's hunting area doing such repeatedly. And for hunting using the epic shapes, even for high level epic shifters those are still limited to 3/day uses. For non-epic shifters, most of their forms would be limited, which makes using the sacrificial flame a detriment almost. Same idea for healing kits. Can't use them while shifted.

I'm not sure how the shifter mechanics work behind the scenes... I know what will and won't merge with what form, but I'm not sure how the game actually handles that.... if it's possible though, could shifter forms be tweaked to behave possibly like the HoD, where your appearance changes, but you're not restricted by the funky way bioware implemented the polymorph effect? (as in... I could sorta understand wrymlings not being able to manipulate objects such as wands, staves, ect... but why would a shifter taking on a drow shape suddenly be unable to use a scroll or wand in his inventory, or suddenly be unable to use a coil of rope for climbing?

Another idea....

Some shifter forms have wings. Wrymling shape (all of them), harpy, gargoyle, manticore, dragonshape.... lots of wings, the wrymling shape even, you are constantly hovering... but, no flight capability. Perhaps shifters can receive a token as do winged elves/humans and demonspawn that allows the ability to fly, granted the shifter is in a form that has wings?

And probably not going to be too popular a suggestion but.... undead forms, specifically the vampire shape. Can run around in sunlight with impunity unlike vampire subrace PCs. Perhaps a little modification to make them behave consistently with all the other aenea vampires?
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Partially Used: Some shifter ideas.... Empty Re: Partially Used: Some shifter ideas....

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:48 am

MannyJabrielle wrote:A method to use sacrificial flame while shifted. While it's not much of an issue for high level shifters who can shift in and out of the pre-epic forms unlimited times a day, it can be a hassle to clean up one's hunting area doing such repeatedly. And for hunting using the epic shapes, even for high level epic shifters those are still limited to 3/day uses. For non-epic shifters, most of their forms would be limited, which makes using the sacrificial flame a detriment almost. Same idea for healing kits. Can't use them while shifted.
After next module update: VC command ;;tool sacrifice will do a "mass remains" sacrifice (as if using the sacrificial flame on yourself).

Can't do the same with heal kits, since they are only run off inventory item charges, and since polymorphing seems to mess with inventory.

MannyJabrielle wrote:I'm not sure how the shifter mechanics work behind the scenes... I know what will and won't merge with what form, but I'm not sure how the game actually handles that.... if it's possible though, could shifter forms be tweaked to behave possibly like the HoD, where your appearance changes, but you're not restricted by the funky way bioware implemented the polymorph effect? (as in... I could sorta understand wrymlings not being able to manipulate objects such as wands, staves, ect... but why would a shifter taking on a drow shape suddenly be unable to use a scroll or wand in his inventory, or suddenly be unable to use a coil of rope for climbing?
Shifters (and druids using Wildshape, and casters using polymorph self or shapechange) undergo a polymorph effect. This actually changes the character's appearance, racial type, portrait, physical ability scores, and a few other things, all bound together in a single effect that can be applied/removed/dispelled/canceled at the same time with minimal code...but it means inventory items don't work in the alternate forms. This basically means functioning like the hat of disguise isn't possible without some massively complex scripting.

On a side note, all polymorphing/wildshape forms should have most armor and worn item properties merged into the new form after the next module update.

MannyJabrielle wrote:Some shifter forms have wings. Wrymling shape (all of them), harpy, gargoyle, manticore, dragonshape.... lots of wings, the wrymling shape even, you are constantly hovering... but, no flight capability. Perhaps shifters can receive a token as do winged elves/humans and demonspawn that allows the ability to fly, granted the shifter is in a form that has wings?
I'm going to be testing to see if polymorphed characters can still use the PC Tool feats. If so, then tool 6 (currently unused) will become a generic "flight" feat for winged PCs, reincarnated/ascended PCs, and PCs changed into alternate forms that should be able to fly (based on appearance)...with an icon/name/description change to reflect that if it functions properly.

MannyJabrielle wrote:And probably not going to be too popular a suggestion but.... undead forms, specifically the vampire shape. Can run around in sunlight with impunity unlike vampire subrace PCs. Perhaps a little modification to make them behave consistently with all the other aenea vampires?
Done for next planned update.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02