Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darkness + vision spells in front of enemies.

3 posters

Go down

Darkness + vision spells in front of enemies. Empty Darkness + vision spells in front of enemies.

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:57 am

There's a funky bug going on with darkness and true seeing/ultravision.

One of my favorite tactics is to go invisible, and get into place for either a spell volley, arrow volley, or get in close enough for melee.. and cast darkness. If I cast TS or ultravision before darkness, things work fine. However, if I cast TS or UV *after* darkness, it acts as if apply true seeing to the enemy instead, as they can see me, and attack me as if there was no prior invisibility spell or darkness field. This is consistent even when none of the enemies are within the darkness field and thus 'initiating attack' on my end and ending invisibility. None of the monsters in question have true seeing nor see invis normally, and did not use any potions of said spells either, they gained true seeing only after I cast TS or ultravision on myself.

I've tested this against several enemies, the results are consistent, and completely repeatable. And in the case of beholders, the effects are even worse as when they hit me with their auto dispell, the darkness field is applied to me (not dispelled), and sticks... as if the darkness field covered the entire area, not it's usual radius, and the duration is semi permanent, lasting until I either die, or am out of sight of the beholders who zapped me and then recast ultravision/true seeing. If I recast those spells while in sight of those beholders, even out of the area I orginally cast darkness, and under invisibility, they can still see me despite being invis, and the darkness won't go away.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Darkness + vision spells in front of enemies. Empty Re: Darkness + vision spells in front of enemies.

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:07 am

Found another quick with darkness and ultravision (haven't tested with true seeing yet). When ultravision wears off on it's own, it will also end darkness field along with it.

Tested the cast-order bug also in SP, and on another server where darkness hasn't been modified at all, and I couldn't reproduce the results in either case, it only happens in Aenea.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Darkness + vision spells in front of enemies. Empty Re: Darkness + vision spells in front of enemies.

Post by MannyJabrielle Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:48 pm

Another note... not 100% repeatable, and I'm not completely sure it's related to darkness....

I've noticed over the last several weeks that I will get the 'everyone goes invisible' problem. Other players, NPCs, all appear and act as if invisible (can only see them when up close, can't target for attacks). I have heard of this on other servers, but -very- infrequently. On Aenea, it happens to me -alot-, and it happens most when ultravision/truesight fades while I'm within a darkness field. As mentioned, not 100% repeatable, but it happens failry often (around 50% of the time). As I have happened to me once personaly on another server, I can't say it's exclusive here, but I've also been unable to duplicate this at all in SP, or a second time on any other server. The only fix is to log out-log back in... or to use see invis/true seeing (which after either of those wears off, everybody's effectively invised again).
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:32 pm

Not sure why, but now *anytime* I use darkness, after my true-seeing/ultravision wear off, I get the "everyone's invisible bug".

This only started happening after darkness was tweaked to provide shade for sunsensitive characters... and while that's a nice secondary effect, the negative side effect of that is becoming far too much of a burden with either having to constantly quaff down true seeing potions or constant relogging... Could darkness be restored to it's default script until the issue could be addressed?
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:56 am

That's very strange, since I didn't change the darkness script...I changed the sunlight check script to see if you were affected by the darkness spell.

I'll look into this again.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:45 am

It's aenea specific, whatever is causing it. I've been completely unable to reproduce the bug in any SP modules or on any other server.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Threadomancy! Any word here?
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1217
Main Character : Aseph, the NOT old sorcerer
Other Character : Analo, professional Dracolich (and other undead) hunter
Other Character. : Sivoran, the PC Demilich
Other Character.. : Imyna, Drow Priestess of Sorgath
NWN Username : evilkittenofdoom
Time Zone : EST (GMT-5)
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down